Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

22 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Assume joking :)

I did before posting but only because I did a search of the internet. I didn't realise before that there was a use of C64 that wasn't related to 80s home computer.

I wasn't aware of it, even though I guess I must have briefly played one (that Chris Squire had just played).

To be fair, you have to be very specific with google and put in 'c64 rickenbacker' to get to it, certainly not C64, not even C64 bass!

14 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Now on The Yes Album, on evidence to date I certainly prefer Squire's tone and lines to Lee, but still think Rush have the edge overall.....

I prefer Geddy Lees lines, although I find CSs lines much easier to play and have probably played them more. Probably because playing CS stuff is more 'obvious' as he plays what I would play anyway, so it seems more natural, where GL doesn't. Maybe because I have played them more/younger.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I prefer Geddy Lees lines, although I find CSs lines much easier to play and have probably played them more. Probably because playing CS stuff is more 'obvious' as he plays what I would play anyway, so it seems more natural, where GL doesn't. Maybe because I have played them more/younger.

I’m the opposite. I much prefer what Chris plays - although I do love Geddy - as I just find him far more musical, IMO. I was actually a big Rush fan long before I was a Yes fan and was a Geddy acolyte long before I discovered Chris, but when Yes clicked with me that was it. I think I’d already started to go off Rush a little by then, but for me personally Yes were just far more interesting and less one-dimensional (relatively speaking; I certainly wouldn’t say Rush are one-dimensional, obviously). Of course Chris was a huge influence on Geddy, as Geddy openly admits. 

On 03/10/2020 at 16:45, Happy Jack said:

Can I just say that I believe in Yes today.

7 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Yes Today all my troubles seemed so far away.

Someone needs to...

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

I’ll still take Awaken. Sorry.

I bought 90125 but never really enjoyed it - the machines had taken over. Up until then, I loved everything and, for a while, listened to them daily, again and again, in the dark, headphones, whilst painting and drawing (Art student). After 90125? Not so much (a lot of the later stuff I haven't even heard as I have never got to it). They also got me into Jazz as I also did the solo albums and eventually got to Bruford. Love the Jon Anderson solo albums Animation, Song Of Seven and Olias of Sunhillow. Love bits of Steve Howe's stuff, Chris Squire's, Rick Wakeman's etc but, for me, it was all Jon.

I think the first two albums are massively underrated; Yes and Time And A Word. More song oritentated but the songs have that Yes approach to arrangement. They steal medcilessly and reframe brilliantly. Massively creative.  I like The Yes Album but I think it is overrated. I LOVE the long form albums; Close To The Edge, Relayer, Tales of Topgraphic Oceans. Going For The One is a majorly strong album and I think Tormato is underrated but there are a couple of clinkers on there.

Best of CDs are risky as they generally feature what is available for cheap (early stuff, poor live bootlegs, obscure radio recordings etc) rather than what is the best of the band.  I think there is something great about seeing these longer form tracks performed live. I saw this recently and was blown away. The second video is a 'cover' with Jon Anderson on vocals but is astonishing.

• Like 1

As an alternative to Drama and Fragile I'd actually go back and check where they came from with Time and a Word. OK, its their second album rather than the debut but since it doesn't have either Howe or Wakeman on it it's an interesting diversion. And the bass is massive on it due to a quirk in the mixing process (apparently). Rather jazzy in places but often overlooked IMHO.

• Like 1

Can't really be doing with any Yes I've heard (and I used to live with a yes fanatic)...

There's far too much annoyingly pitched vocals about whoknowswhatnonsense, the keyboards are on the most annoyingly pompous sounds possible - plus they only play arpeggios and inversions. And the songs have far too much BIG CHORD {space} BIGGER CHORD A BIT UP THEN ANOTHER UP AGAIN {much longer space filled with cymbal widdle) BIG CHORD {space that's about 5.372 beats} HORRIFIC KEYBOARD FANFARE SOUNDING LIKE FOLKY TUNE. This continues for about 10 minutes, then Mr Anderson gives it some falsetto about goblins for another 5 minutes over gentle keyboard arpeggios and cymbals. Finally, 20 minutes into the song there's a good bit which is quickly spoiled by yet another keyboard fanfare and unnecessary stop-start stuff.

Sure, it's skilful. But it DOES NOT GROOVE!

2 minutes ago, KevB said:

he sings falsetto about goblins

No idea what he sings about - I'm just guessing based on the song titles and album covers 😁

I rarely listen to actual lyrics, and especially not when the sounds of the singer is like nails on a blackboard!

However, to show my Philistine-ishness, I can't be doing with Genesis either (annoyingly pompous) or opera (especially sopranos, nails/blackboard). But strangely, I like Gently Giant and Magma (not po-faced, definitely crazed)...

5 minutes ago, KevB said:

Can you point out which song he sings falsetto about goblins? Must have missed that one 😃

Shirley not..? I thought that's what they were all about. o.O

I concur with my learned friend, Lenny (and he knows all about Groove..!). :friends:

• Like 1