Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

I’ve been listening to them on and off for over 30 years. Seen them live twice. Just goes to show we all have our own tastes. Just don’t do it for me at all and I’m partial to prog rock. I find their music instantly forgettable, sadly. Heresy I know but, I don’t care much for CS’s tone or bass lines either. 

28 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I’m guessing they’re an acquired taste? 

Ignoring their commercial singles in the eighties, I'd say so.

Isn't it like that with Prog generally though?  You don't quite "get it" until you hear a gateway song to make sense of the band's work.  Sometimes you never hear that song or when you do you aren't in the right head-space to let it connect with you.

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

I hit the Yes Essentials button on iTunes. First doing was Going for the One. Didn’t land for me. I’m happy to take suggestions? 

Was that the album or the track? I’m not a huge fan of the track, but the album is one of my favourites. 

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Isn't it like that with Prog generally though?  You don't quite "get it" until you hear a gateway song to make sense of the band's work.  Sometimes you never hear that song or when you do you aren't in the right head-space to let it connect with you.

As before, I’d say that’s true of any type of music or any band/artist. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

As before, I’d say that’s true of any type of music or any band/artist. 

I think Prog is a little less accessible than some genres.

It may depend on where you are coming from too.  I remember my Dad "getting" it, I think, because he had a classical background playing piano.

Are we really debating taste in music?

I love all the Yes stuff up till 1975. In the eighties they were popular and boring (although there are some wicked basslines on their Drama album).
It all went downhill from '75 on according to my taste.

Squire taught Geddy how to play bass tho. No debate there. Lee even said it himself. Big influence.

On that tip, concerning big rock bass player names - I personally never got The Who. All their songs are equally boring. Entwistle's tone was just awful.

Taste does things concerning how well songs or styles land with you, see?

• Like 1

Also discovered today that Kraftwerk have a live album, go figure. Somewhat disappointed it didn’t start with the usual ‘Hey Düsseldorf, how you doing? Tonight we’re going to raaawk. Any ladies in the house with any German in them......?’

Perhaps I’m in a generally unpleasable mood today? 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I think Prog is a little less accessible than some genres.

It may depend on where you are coming from too.  I remember my Dad "getting" it, I think, because he had a classical background playing piano.

I don’t necessarily think it is less accessible; it does depends entirely on your perspective and background . My background was jazz at home, hymns at school and the Beatles (then ABBA) everywhere else; apart from my initial brush with them (when I’ll admit I was only casually listening anyway), I found Yes kind of an amalgam of all those. Personally I found most r’n’b, reggae etc far less accessible because it bore absolutely no relation to anything I grew up listening to. 

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Also discovered today that Kraftwerk have a live album, go figure. Somewhat disappointed it didn’t start with the usual ‘Hey Düsseldorf, how you doing? Tonight we’re going to raaawk. Any ladies in the house with any German in them......?’

Perverse, probably. 😉😂

• Like 1

Took me ages to get into Yes. I remember borrowing Close To The Edge as a teenager and only liking Siberian Khatru a little (mainly the guitar intro). Years later I bought Yesterdays cheap and their cover of America hooked me in and the early pre Howe/Wakeman stuff was far more accessible. After that album, I was in. I still don’t like plenty of their output, but I’d call myself a fan.

16 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Took me ages to get into Yes. I remember borrowing Close To The Edge as a teenager and only liking Siberian Khatru a little (mainly the guitar intro). Years later I bought Yesterdays cheap and their cover of America hooked me in and the early pre Howe/Wakeman stuff was far more accessible. After that album, I was in. I still don’t like plenty of their output, but I’d call myself a fan.

I’ll take a listen to some earlier stuff 

56 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I think you need some Moody Blues.

Yes could have been as good as the Moody Blues if they'd really tried.

;)

Edited by ahpook

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I hit the Yes Essentials button on iTunes. First doing was Going for the One. Didn’t land for me. I’m happy to take suggestions? 

Top of my head – And You and I, Heart of the Sunrise, Yours Is No Disgrace, Roundabout, Starship Trooper, Soon oh Soon, Long Distance Runaround and quite a few more (as you may notice, all of these are from the earlier versions of the band which shows when my prog phase took place).

• Like 2