Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Yes today.....

Beedster

Isn’t everything, to some degree? 

I don’t think I ever expect to like, or expect to dislike, something Ive never heard before. Whatever it is, I try to at least approach it with an open mind. 

I will say the first time I heard them, in my early teens, I struggled with them. The album was Relayer. I was however a big Genesis fan so they weren’t too far removed. However when I revisited them a few years later the penny dropped, and then some. They’re now probably my favourite band, and a Relayer is one of my favourite albums. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Felt a bit like Rush but without the active ingredient, kinda like alcohol free beer? 

Hah, that’s funny as I kind of view it the opposite way round!

Thing is, if you don’t like them does it matter? 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Felt a bit like Rush but without the active ingredient, kinda like alcohol free beer? 

:D

I know what you mean. I'm very partial to some prog, but Yes just don't do it for me.

They sound like a band trying hard to sound like somebody else, but failing...it's the only way I can describe it.

Edited by ahpook

Just now, Beedster said:

But when Geddy sings, it sounds like he means it? 

No, no, no, no. When I first heard Jon (see above) I was surprised by the pitch and the accent, but he’s become one of my all time favourite vocalists. Geddy, not so much, although I do like Rush. 😉

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Do you know what I've so tried to get into Rush and just doesn't do it for me they are great musicians no doubt about that actually I can't really get into any prog stuff just don't think it's for me 

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

No, no, no, no. When I first heard Jon (see above) I was surprised by the pitch and the accent, but he’s become one of my all time favourite vocalists. Geddy, not so much, although I do like Rush. 😉

Yes yes yes :)

• Haha 1

As above, it really doesn’t matter if you don’t like or don’t get them. Using your Werewolves thread as an example, I absolutely detest that record. Detest it. Can’t stand Warren Zevon generally. But so what? Should that have any bearing on whether someone else likes him? No. You shouldn’t be expected to like, or feel obliged to like anything. Respect it, maybe. But not actually like. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

As above, it really doesn’t matter if you don’t like or don’t get them. Using your Werewolves thread as an example, I absolutely detest that record. Detest it. Can’t stand Warren Zevon generally. But so what? Should that have any bearing on whether someone else likes him? No. You shouldn’t be expected to like, or feel obliged to like anything. Respect it, maybe. But not actually like. 

Agree 100% 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Thing is that I really want to like them...?

If that’s the case, keep trying. There’s a lot of Yes to go at. A friend who is now a huge Yes fan spent several years trying to get past the first 5 minutes of Close To The Edge. I just told him to stick with it. Eventually he got there and now he loves them.