Why become a member? ×

Hudson Broadcast...any good for bass?

Thunderpaws

I used one in conjunction with my Cali76CB to ‘recreate’ the big box Cali76TX which I ultimately ended up buying. The Hudson adds a great quality to the tone making it a bit more strident and enhancing the overall sound which I believe was down to the transformer. I didn’t have it doing a heap of drive instead it was making everything sound ‘more’. I was adding in some more gain from the BassSoul Food so I suppose I was doing some gain staging - a little bit off added signal boost from the Broadcast than bumping in a little bit more gain from the BSF.Could I have turned up the the amp a bit to get the same effect? I’m sure it would have been ok but having tried it it wasn’t as satisfying to my ear. If you have the means to add the Broadcast (the internal bump to 24v model would be my suggestion) then do it. It’s a great pedal and that’s even before you get into the dirt tones. I personally used it to enhance the tone not for the dirt. I really liked the idea of the transformer doing the heavy lifting and I’d happily have another should I ever sell my Cali 76TX. 

Edited by krispn
Edited to show my old signal chain and photo added

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I think it’s something I’m going to look into for home recording (for bass and guitar). That or the Benson Preamp.  I like the thought of the extra headroom with the 24v model too. I’m also a fan of the BSF, it had a mid hump which works well with my Streamliner amp.  

The low cut works well on the Hudson for tone shaping but if the Tx isn’t a must for home recording a QStrip from Tech 21 might be a better home recording option. Lots of ‘studio preamp’ features and it’ll give you all the versatility you need for many instrument types. I really like the broadcast but if I were after a unit primarily for recording I’d be checking the QStrip. I don’t have a QStrip but I do use an interface which has studio preamp emulators some of which are similar to the QStrip - think Neve preamps -and they’re much more flexible for recording.