Why become a member? ×

Your guitarist is a better bass player than you!

Al Krow

26 minutes ago, Angel said:

I'm the best guitarist, bassist and keyboard player of all the bands I've played in.

OK, confession time. I've never been in a band.

But not best vocalist, nor the best looking (obviously with the best haircut) or most able to compete with your pet dog? 

5 hours ago, lownote12 said:

I play unlined fretlesses for the same reason, now updated to the nuclear deterrent: 5 string unlined fretless. 

I have a friend who played a lined fretless 6 string, restrung with guitar strings from D to E flat.  That was because there was already a bassist in the band that he joined, and he therefore found a way of occupying a different sonic space, with his "baritone bass".  

That's even more nuclear than your nuclear deterrent!  

29 minutes ago, Angel said:

er ... no. Can't sing to save my life and I've never been a looker.

But you've got a decent haircut right? That does seem to have been established as being de rigeur for any musician, according to this thread anyway! 

On 03/10/2020 at 13:25, MartinB said:

I'm sure your ex-guitarist doesn't really deserve to be piled on by internet stranges...

Have to agree with this sentiment, it’s not right.

The guitarists I worked with are prolly better, don’t even think my singing is better than theirs but I am the one prepared to give it the beans and a go.

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Have to agree with this sentiment, it’s not right.

The guitarists I worked with are prolly better, don’t even think my singing is better than theirs but I am the one prepared to give it the beans and a go.

Hey - don't do yourself down. A bass player who can hold down a decent groove while leading on the vocals is worth his or her weight in something or other. There aren't a vast number of us who can do both! 

FWIW, the guitarist in question is one of the most talented young men I've had the privilege to work with. Both me and the drummer in that clip, who is still in the current line up 5 years down the line, still remember him with a lot of fondness. 

• Like 1