Why become a member? ×

Level Amp Stand recommendation.

NancyJohnson

Does anyone know of a LEVEL amp stand (I suppose like an X-braced keyboard stand)?

I'm retiring my #1 prototype Barefaced Big One and replacing with a pair of 1x12 cabs; for home use I'll only be using one and want to elevate it about 12-18".  I don't want it tilting or need something plastic from B&Q.

Anyone?

Edited by NancyJohnson

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I just bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291784784897

Bizarrely, it gives the 'capacity' as being 40L - 60L.

There can't be many liquids where 40L weighs less than 70/80lbs so I'm guessing that this will take the weight of a rack case ...

I believe by 40 - 60 L they are referring to the volume of a suitcase/bag (25x40x60cm = 60 L for example) , as opposed to liquid - 60 litres of clothes weighs a less than 105 pints of beer....

But still some of those do look sturdy enough to hold an amp.....!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chienmortbb said:

Of course by lifting the cab you will lose the mutual coupling with the floor.

IIRC the proximity effect (which requires you to lift the cab a long way off the floor to break) was more important than mechanical coupling for a good bass sound.

Just now, BigRedX said:

IIRC the proximity effect (which requires you to lift the cab a long way off the floor to break) was more important than mechanical coupling for a good bass sound.

Mutual coupling is what you call proximtty effect and the height that it is broken depends on the cabinet design, especially the baffle. Mechanical coupling is a real no no.

I've just picked up one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_mixer_stand.htm?sid=174a0a6518ddea26a5234e3bfdcc43ef

With a maximum load of 136kg, it should be sturdy enough for most applications...

I've gigged with it a couple of times and it held my combo (a Genz Benz Contour) very nicely. I've actually removed the extendable legs as the height was fine already without having to go any higher. Because I'm a bit OCD, I bought some cheapo black cloth to drape over it, so it doesn't look like the combo is perched on a table. 

624714467_stand2.png.9231c9c969bf389a05454baad423c4dc.png

Edited by rushbo

6 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Of course by lifting the cab you will lose the mutual coupling with the floor.

I'm more interested in the audible coupling with my ears and having things at a comfortable tweaking height.  Furthermore, I have a skittish Birman cat who has marked her territory elsewhere a couple of times; if I can lift said cabinet above squirt height, it'll also set my mind to rest.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Mutual coupling is what you call proximtty effect and the height that it is broken depends on the cabinet design, especially the baffle. Mechanical coupling is a real no no.

Mutual coupling is when two or more speakers are less than 1 wavelength apart, assuring no destructive interference when their outputs combine. That's easy at 100Hz where a wavelength is 3.4 meters, not so much at 2kHz, where a wavelength is 17cm. Floor boundary reinforcement is when a speaker is less than 1/4 wavelength off the floor. Reducing its effect in the boomy midbass, in the vicinity of 150Hz, can be realized by lifting the speaker about 60cm. Mechanical coupling does not exist, being the fabrication of those wishing to sell you something to either accentuate or prevent it.

• Like 2