Why become a member? ×

Bands and hissy fits. Stuff you couldn't write!

itsmedunc

Imagine this scenario.

Bassist joins band approx 8 years ago. Perhaps longer.

Bassist leaves band and leaves his combo with the guitarist. Approx 7 years ago

Guitarist takes combo to the singers rehearsal room as he doesn't want to store it.

Afore  mentioned bassists father then joins the same band as the bassist. Approx 7 years ago

Father uses the combo for rehearsals and gigs.

The father leaves the band 2 years ago and leaves his sons combo. A few months later, the guitarist who the combo was originally left with also leaves the band and forms a band with the bassist who had left shortly before him. He also leaves the combo. Are you following?

2 years ago, I join the band and the combo is still there. I used it a couple of times in rehearsals only before taking my gear there.

Last week, the original bassist sends a message via his father that he wants his combo back 🙄

His father goes to collect it with the same guitarist who the combo was originally left with.

Next thing, posted on Facebook is a load of insults about the singer and he was "going to pay" for damage to the tolex on the combo? They didn't mention this whilst picking it up? Tonight a tirade of threatening text messages are sent to the singer!

Honestly, you couldn't write it. All this over a decade old Behringer combo that wouldn't fetch £40 if it was mint! 😂😂😂😂

Personally I think they were lucky that the combo still exists, never mind a little bit of damage to the carpet covering!

• Haha 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Wow, was a difficult read... I struggle to follow the plot of the average TV drama!

Seems a bit silly for bassist 1 to complain about stuff like this, but I'll ask a follow up question anyway..... was the combo left with the band for the band's benefit (i.e. so they can use it) or the bassists benefit (so he didn't have to store it?)

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Wow, was a difficult read... I struggle to follow the plot of the average TV drama!

Seems a bit silly for bassist 1 to complain about stuff like this, but I'll ask a follow up question anyway..... was the combo left with the band for the band's benefit (i.e. so they can use it) or the bassists benefit (so he didn't have to store it?)

The combo was abandoned and was left at the rehearsal room as no one wanted to store it. It wasn’t left for the bands benefit.

The singer didn’t want it in his room. It only stayed there as no one would take it away.

40 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

The combo was abandoned and was left at the rehearsal room as no one wanted to store it. It wasn’t left for the bands benefit.

The singer didn’t want it in his room. It only stayed there as no one would take it away.

No grounds for complaint then....

If I did leave something low-value like that for the bands benefit I would mentally 'write off' some of the 'debt' at the beginning anyway - stuff deteriorates over time etc.

So no excuse for a social media rant either way.

• Like 1

My favourite hissy fit story (and I probably read it here) concerned a drummer storming out of the band in a massive sulk before he'd packed his kit. 

I still chuckle at the image of him trying desperately to maintain his brooding, silent fury as he dismantled and bagged his kit, the embarrassed (by now ex) band mates looking on, either dying or trying not to laugh. 

Did he have to ask someone to hold the door for him as he very slowly stormed out? 

• Haha 2

Band hissy fit, unfortunately I didn't witness it all but am reliably informed... 

Keyboard player tries out and is terrible, odd personality, can't play his masses of kit, talks like he's Rik Wakeman, you get the picture. BL says "pack your gear in to your car and when he's gone get it out again, I'll fire him now..." so my gear goes in the car but its late and I'm knackered so I say I've had enough and drive home. I get a phone call on the journey "we know you haven't got it, but can you check all your gear for keyboard players car keys, please? We've turned everything inside out and can't find them!" they had given him his marching orders which were not well received expecting him to pack up and go, but he couldn't load up his car and they had an excruciating hour looking for his keys! Eventually they found them. In the pocket of his hoodie that was in the corner of the room all along. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Band hissy fit, unfortunately I didn't witness it all but am reliably informed... 

Keyboard player tries out and is terrible, odd personality, can't play his masses of kit, talks like he's Rik Wakeman, you get the picture. BL says "pack your gear in to your car and when he's gone get it out again, I'll fire him now..." so my gear goes in the car but its late and I'm knackered so I say I've had enough and drive home. I get a phone call on the journey "we know you haven't got it, but can you check all your gear for keyboard players car keys, please? We've turned everything inside out and can't find them!" they had given him his marching orders which were not well received expecting him to pack up and go, but he couldn't load up his car and they had an excruciating hour looking for his keys! Eventually they found them. In the pocket of his hoodie that was in the corner of the room all along. 

Keyboard player can't even find the right key...

... I'll get me coat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

On 03/10/2020 at 12:00, Nail Soup said:

No grounds for complaint then....

If I did leave something low-value like that for the bands benefit I would mentally 'write off' some of the 'debt' at the beginning anyway - stuff deteriorates over time etc.

So no excuse for a social media rant either way.

I see from the complicated timeline that his father took over bass duties in the band. I've a strong suspicion that the owner of the combo is just trying his luck after daddy gave him a flea in his ear about not looking after his gear properly!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I see from the complicated timeline that his father took over bass duties in the band. I've a strong suspicion that the owner of the combo is just trying his luck after daddy gave him a flea in his ear about not looking after his gear properly!

I blame the parents :D!

On 03/10/2020 at 00:37, itsmedunc said:

Imagine this scenario.

Bassist joins band approx 8 years ago. Perhaps longer.

Bassist leaves band and leaves his combo with the guitarist. Approx 7 years ago

Guitarist takes combo to the singers rehearsal room as he doesn't want to store it.

Afore  mentioned bassists father then joins the same band as the bassist. Approx 7 years ago

Father uses the combo for rehearsals and gigs.

The father leaves the band 2 years ago and leaves his sons combo. A few months later, the guitarist who the combo was originally left with also leaves the band and forms a band with the bassist who had left shortly before him. He also leaves the combo. Are you following?

2 years ago, I join the band and the combo is still there. I used it a couple of times in rehearsals only before taking my gear there.

Last week, the original bassist sends a message via his father that he wants his combo back 🙄

His father goes to collect it with the same guitarist who the combo was originally left with.

Next thing, posted on Facebook is a load of insults about the singer and he was "going to pay" for damage to the tolex on the combo? They didn't mention this whilst picking it up? Tonight a tirade of threatening text messages are sent to the singer!

Honestly, you couldn't write it. All this over a decade old Behringer combo that wouldn't fetch £40 if it was mint! 😂😂😂😂

Personally I think they were lucky that the combo still exists, never mind a little bit of damage to the carpet covering!

My first ever band sounded a bit like that... Band breaks up because lead guitarist is an ego maniac. He reforms with the drummer and recruits me. I didn't have a gigging amp but there was a huge Peavey at the guitarists house, you had to take the head unit out, turn it upside down and join two wires to switch it on. Anyhow, it worked. Luckily the ex bassist was the older brother of a mate from college, so no hissy fits but he sold me the amp for a tenner, then I spent fifteen quid repairing it. And bought a good condition amp off him for another hundred. Used to stack them on top of each other and go from the line out of one to the input of the other, monstrous. 

• Like 1

I can't think of a good story from first hand, but here's a second hand one - not great but the best I've got.

I was at work and  new guy joined from an agency, and I recognised him as a drummer from the original local punk scene - a bit older than me, who crucially was there at the start of punk.

I was a team leader, and he was in my team, so it already felt a bit wierd!

Turns out he was great at his job, and of course I subtly quizzed him about his punk band days.

He said that his time with the band ended when he had an argument over something at a reheasal, swore at the rest of the band, stormed out and smashed the fire alarm on the way out.

• Like 1

This is the reason why I never let others borrow gear, and I always bring my gear home - even when I finish playing at 11:30am and am due to return to the same locked and safe venue at 4pm the same day.

I don't understand why anyone would leave their portable gear in a venue - in one case, a Line 6 amplifier was on the stage for 2 years, and in that time it was used just once, by the owner. 

53 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

My first ever band sounded a bit like that... Band breaks up because lead guitarist is an ego maniac. He reforms with the drummer and recruits me. I didn't have a gigging amp but there was a huge Peavey at the guitarists house, you had to take the head unit out, turn it upside down and join two wires to switch it on. Anyhow, it worked. Luckily the ex bassist was the older brother of a mate from college, so no hissy fits but he sold me the amp for a tenner, then I spent fifteen quid repairing it. And bought a good condition amp off him for another hundred. Used to stack them on top of each other and go from the line out of one to the input of the other, monstrous. 

I thought you were going to say he wanted it back after you'd fixed it! 😂  Some of the old Peavey gear is great!

Our original guitarist had a habit of threatning to quit when band votes didn't go his way. We usually had to spend a couple of days, talking him down and get him to agree to whatever it was that we had voted to do (which he would then deny agreeing to when the gig was due).

The last straw was when he stropped off 10 days before we were due to leave for a small tour of the North west USA.  This time, we didn't try to talk him round, just called up the guitarist of a Canadian band who'd played with us a few times and flew him to Oregon for the tour.

The tour went great, we had a whale of a time, lined up a new guitarist for when we got home and I never had to speak to the whinging tw@t old guitarist ever again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

I thought you were going to say he wanted it back after you'd fixed it! 😂  Some of the old Peavey gear is great!

Nah he became a born again Christian and couldn't have been more generous in nature. I found a similar Peavey to this on eBay, a long drive away and I have no need whatsoever for it. I just want to know what the pyramid knob does, might be worth a 4hr round trip... 

• Like 1

I left a band once, amicably (or so I thought), but in a state of extreme hissy fittery the BL sacked the rest of the band! 

To this day I don't know what that was supposed to achieve. He's since been sniffing around the singer, but as the rest of us are now together enjoying a new project he won't get far.