Why become a member? ×

Pete Briquette Boomtown Rats - What bass is this??

Joshua Higginson

8 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I used to have one in the early 90s. Loved how it sounded and played. HATED how unstable the tuning was until the neck reached the correct stage temperature.. 

Certainly the case, the alarming thing was how swiftly it would change due to relatively minor temp fluctuations. Maybe they should have considered Titanium or Invar. Main reason I got it was cos it looked great. As a Lefty I even had to play it upside down.

• Like 1

I've got say though, I've always loved the bass tone at beginning of the first verse of Rat Trap.

Great song too, plenty of changes in direction without losing its way and a nice little story, like a mini opera. 

I remember these basses in the shops when they were new , around the time I started playing . They were pretty exotic at the time, probably the most expensive bass in the shop. 

Fashion always comes full circle , and these would be pretty trendy nowadays if they were a new design, blending as it does a novel technological approach and retro Seventies styling. Conventional wisdom at the time was that these basses were flawed by the aforementioned temperature- sensitivity of the aluminium neck. I have no idea how true that was/is. I never got to play one. What I do know is that a few years ago I picked up a Kramer  aluminium-necked six string guitar from this era  off a stand  in a music shop and it was shockingly heavy, like it was made of lead. 

On 03/10/2020 at 10:42, HazBeen said:

I used to have one in the early 90s. Loved how it sounded and played. HATED how unstable the tuning was until the neck reached the correct stage temperature.. 

On 03/10/2020 at 18:55, JottoSW1 said:

Certainly the case, the alarming thing was how swiftly it would change due to relatively minor temp fluctuations. Maybe they should have considered Titanium or Invar. Main reason I got it was cos it looked great. As a Lefty I even had to play it upside down.

Strange. I've owned two Kramers and several other aluminium necked basses and guitars and never had any extra temperature-related tuning problems with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Strange. I've owned two Kramers and several other aluminium necked basses and guitars and never had any extra temperature-related tuning problems with them.

Nah, I am not cracking the joke...

Edited by HazBeen

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

My kramer is Most stable bass I've ever owned.

If the tuners didn't get knocked in the gigbag I could go months with never having to tune despite weekly gigs and rehearsals in a variety of temperatures.