Why become a member? ×

October Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

October's challenge is on...

Here's the image for inspiration, chosen by last month's winner the indefatigable Dad3353:

Capture1.JPG

Usual rules apply. You know the drill:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

Bagpipes. Never. Also on thin ice with panpipes, to be perfectly honest.

No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

Deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 24th October.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No panpipes..?

Shan't need panpipes this month... I have members of the Borborygmus Eructation Ensemble camping in our garden so I shall record their beautiful dawn chorus. Through  Future Impact and Fwonk Beta pedals it should sound identical to a fretless bass!

• Haha 1

Preamble: This is best listened to with the original Challenge picture filling your screen. Here's a Handy 'Clickable' Link to the picture, if it helps ...

SdaeD70.jpg

No furry animals were hurt in the sequence presented. (Later, perhaps, but not during...). Listen loud (but not too loud; think of the Children ...).

Here is my contribution to the October 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Myself..!
Well, aren't I the lucky one..! When I chose this photo of the troop, I didn't know that I would be recording a 'live' performance at the occasion of one of their very rare concerts in this Galaxy..! Just a teaser, really, as the whole event lasted several weeks, but one may get an idea of their vast (and I mean VAST..!) range of acoustic emissions. Their stay was, perhaps, slightly marred by their quite disquieting catering arrangements, which has solved, at least partially, the population explosion, but it's worth it, Shirley, for being able to witness such talent up close (but not too close...).
Not really 'drums' as we know them, nor even percussion, but the rhythm section is assured by a sequence of samples, chosen for their sonic effect to be within the range of human hearing. The soloists are in fine voice, from Ethera, and the 'gamelin' bass track keeps things on an earthly level (not too spacey for mere mortals, and not quite enough acoustic pressure to burst our lungs. Other species are not so lucky...). No need for Fx, of course (one doesn't gild lilies...); just a soupçon of mastering, to allow the opus to lend itself to worldly media. Reaper, naturally; what else..?
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Preamble: This is best listened to with the original Challenge picture filling your screen. No furry animals were hurt in the sequence presented. (Later, perhaps, but not during...). Listen loud (but not too loud; think of the Children ...).

Here is my contribution to the October 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Myself..!
Well, aren't I the lucky one..! When I chose this photo of the troop, I didn't know that I would be recording a 'live' performance at the occasion of one of their very rare concerts in this Galaxy..! Just a teaser, really, as the whole event lasted several weeks, but one may get an idea of their vast (and I mean VAST..!) range of acoustic emissions. Their stay was, perhaps, slightly marred by their quite disquieting catering arrangements, which has solved, at least partially, the population explosion, but it's worth it, Shirley, for being able to witness such talent up close (but not too close...).
Not really 'drums' as we know them, nor even percussion, but the rhythm section is assured by a sequence of samples, chosen for their sonic effect to be within the range of human hearing. The soloists are in fine voice, from Ethera, and the 'gamelin' bass track keeps things on an earthly level (not too spacey for mere mortals, and not quite enough acoustic pressure to burst our lungs. Other species are not so lucky...). No need for Fx, of course (one doesn't gild lilies...); just a soupçon of mastering, to allow the opus to lend itself to worldly media. Reaper, naturally; what else..?
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy

Blinkin heck you've been busy 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
Updating Quoted Text...

Got mine done.  I'd have loved time to lay a bit of bass, but just too busy.  If I get time before the deadline, I shall update it.  But for now, Enjoy.

I've tried to create what I picture being played.  Logic supplied a great alien vocal for it too.

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 2

My entry to the Basschat October Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen by September's winner, Dad3353.

Drum loops courtesy of MrRobot on Looperman, bass courtesy of Maruszwassit, geetar courtesy of Vintage, all through the Helix into Cubase Elephants.

• Like 4

Entry to monthly basschat comp using the picture (chosen by last months winner, Douglas), as inspiration.
They came with a message, in a form of sound we couldn't comprehend. Luckily a well known basschater called me and said " Nige, I've transcribed the piece and it's actually in 'E' ", with a 12 bar country feel".
"Thanks Bilbo, " I said . "That's good coz I can do that stuff" !!
Used the trusty tele, t-bird bass and just messed about with amplitude pedals etc. Mt drums kept a check and the diddy lpk25 did some soundy stuff whilst I warbled the vocals. All reapered and that's that !

• Like 6

I got something together , but i did find this a struggle, I have done a nod to  this fact in there somewhere , but hands up on this , bashing about on a drum machine and overdubbing various percussion elements is all that I could dream up!

the link to the picture is tenuous but findable :lol:

Stung , enjoy 

• Like 4

On 16/10/2020 at 09:35, fingers211 said:

Entry to monthly basschat comp using the picture (chosen by last months winner, Douglas), as inspiration.
They came with a message, in a form of sound we couldn't comprehend. Luckily a well known basschater called me and said " Nige, I've transcribed the piece and it's actually in 'E' ", with a 12 bar country feel".
"Thanks Bilbo, " I said . "That's good coz I can do that stuff" !!
Used the trusty tele, t-bird bass and just messed about with amplitude pedals etc. Mt drums kept a check and the diddy lpk25 did some soundy stuff whilst I warbled the vocals. All reapered and that's that !

:lol:

In 1977, a recording of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was included on a golden disc sent to space with the Voyager mission. Many life forms in the universe were lucky enough to hear Chuck's finest moment. However, someone must've lobbed a CD of Motorhead up into the big black sometime in the 80s because it certainly inspired Illegal Alien. Led by frontbeing Lem-Mi, Illegal Alien are The Hardest Working Band in the Cosmos. And, one of the hardest to listen to. Enjoy or endure, the decision is yours!

Edited by upside downer
Slight vocal edit
  • Like 6

I was hoping to do a few more of these this year, but a crappy few months in the middle got in the way. I've finally got a bit of time again and Douglas's picture felt like I nice change from pushing myself out of my comfort zone - that's an image that left me right in the middle of it so I could barely see the edges :).

Like many I've gone with what I felt was being played, and having listened to the others now I'm not the only one that thinks Aliens sound like rock guitar through an envelope filter!

For anyone interested:

• Steven Slate Drums, I started off with Groove Monkee midi but the original is only there in the "chorus" now, I re-did the rest.
  • Bass is Stingray 5HH through an Idiotbox Blower Box and a Hotone Omni IR loader.
  • Guitar is a PRS Custom 24 through Amplitube's MESA amp sim and their excellent Nu-Tron III envelope filter. Not loads of FX as it might sound, but their is a little trick in the playing to make the filter freak out for the Alien vibe.
  • Synths are all NI, there's a Form preset in there sort of backing up the bass and filling in the middle a bit (that one gave me a headache as it won't go to Mono without losing loads of volume, but it sounds good) and FM8 for the "breaks". There were things that I played live on the keyboard that became these parts, but they got hacked around a lot.
  • Mixing and mastering... hmmm. Still mostly done by guessworks, some light use of a few of Waves CLA series plugins and then the Infected Mushroom Pusher at the end, because it seemed to suit the style.

Having a listen on an Amazon Echo was a bit of a revelation, it sounded rubbish in Mono until I fixed a few things. All good learning anyway. I enjoyed it anyway :)

Edited by adamg67
words
  • Like 5