Why become a member? ×

Sire Owners - Quick Pickup Question

BassApprentice

Can the pickup cover be changed or are they epoxied in there?

I was looking to pick up one of the new Natural passive Sires which would look great with some cream pickup covers and want to know if they can be changed?

I'm basically asking as I want to buy @Beedster lovely looking Jazz but something will have to go first, so a backup bass plan is always needed 😬

On a 4 string, the pickups have the Fender size and covers are removable. Changed the pickups on two Sire's and put the original pickup covers on one, but it needed a bit of TLC as the magnet rods are smaller on Sire, so I had to enlarge the holes to perfectly fit.

I actually got a reply from Sire today 

"To answer your question, all pickups come with plastic casing (cover).

The raw pickup will be magnets wrapped with wires so casing should be necessary.

Hope this answers your question

So from that, you would think the covers are removable, but Andertons also got back to me stating that the pickups are all in one piece so this is a no go. Shame. 

5 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@Steff I feel like you have experience in this realm?

Plastic covers were definitely removable on my Sire - not sure if they’ve changed that in the second edition, I doubt it. In mark 1 it’s definitely not “all in one piece”, they come apart the minute you take them off lol... 

Edited by Steff

On 13/10/2020 at 13:56, BassApprentice said:

The raw pickup will be magnets wrapped with wires so casing should be necessary.

So from that, you would think the covers are removable, but Andertons also got back to me stating that the pickups are all in one piece so this is a no go. Shame. 

I might be cynical but having worked in a music store and having had dealings with Andertons, this has “here’s a stock answer that tells you not to do it so it saves us any backlash when you try it and it goes wrong” written all over it.

Andertons are generally pretty clueless about bass so I wouldn’t take their advice as the basis for your decision (especially when the manufacturer has confirmed the opposite/truth!)

IME, I bought a Sire P7 V earlier this year from Andertons and the pickup covers come off and could be replaced (although I haven’t taken the time to see if they are ‘standard’ size)

Also, it might be helpful to know that whilst the Sire P7 V split coil pickup is ‘shorter’ than a standard replacement set (like Aguilar etc), the routing in the bass is larger to accommodate any upgrades, you’d just have to get the pick guard hole made larger to match the pickup.

Edited by skej21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/10/2020 at 14:56, BassApprentice said:

What an absolutely lazy donkey jerk answer, doesn't answer your actual question at all, and they are perfectly well aware of that, then still got the indecency to ask if it does, like as it does and like they don't know better. ("donkey" = another word for "behind")

In fact more of an insult than an answer.

Bad service!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

With no one actually having the V5 since it is so new and retailers and brand themselves giving conflicting answers, only one way to answer my question. 

Buy one 😬

If I was you I'd let Sire know that it in fact doesn't answer the question you actually asked them whatsoever, since they in fact asked them self if it did (even if they deliberately left out a question mark after asking it, and even if they are perfectly aware of the answer to that them self). 

They might as well have written this back to you:

"Yes, the pickups got covers.

As to the answer to the actual question you asked us, we know, just refuse to tell you.

Now go screw yourself annoying customer."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Fair point. It's such a trivial matter really that may or may not happen, but I have gone back to them with the attached picture to better help their understanding of what I'm asking 

p-gps-5b.png

This is the construction style of my pickups on my Sire P7 V

I’m personally still struggling to see how you guys are reading “yes, the pickups got covers” and not seeing that they are confirming what you asked?

The only outcomes are “no, they are sealed” and “yes, they have got covers”!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, skej21 said:

I’m personally still struggling to see how you guys are reading “yes, the pickups got covers” and not seeing that they are confirming what you asked?

No, that is not true at all!

Pickups that are sealed got covers as well, they are just not removable, as the pickups have been sealed in the covers, if they weren't the coils would be exposed, a sealed cover is still a cover, just not replaceable, just like a sealed can that have not been opened is still a can.

What they should have replied to answer his question would be either A: They are removable and therefor replaceable or B: They are sealed and therefor not replaceable, which would have addressed the actual point with his question directly.

That they got covers says nothing about if those covers have been sealed or if they are replaceable, and therefor the answer he got from Sire is as good as useless, not answering his actual question and not addressing the whole point with asking it whatsoever (as in weather they are replaceable or not).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skej21 said:

What the OP wanted to know is whether the covers can be replaced or not, which was amply ignored by the reply the OP was given.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 09/10/2020 at 15:21, Hellzero said:

On a 4 string, the pickups have the Fender size and covers are removable. Changed the pickups on two Sire's and put the original pickup covers on one, but it needed a bit of TLC as the magnet rods are smaller on Sire, so I had to enlarge the holes to perfectly fit.

Any tips on how to enlarge it easily and not make it look too messy?