Why become a member? ×

HX Stomp vs Preamp Pedal?

bassmansam

So I'm kind of in a dilemma with my live sound...

We're running IEM now and I'm strongly considering ditching head & cab. 

Ive been looking to add a nice preamp pedal to my chain and run direct to FOH... Mesa Subway di, Trickfish Minnow, Nordstrand Starlifter etc.

Ive recently also stumbled across the HX Stomp which looks like it could solve all of my problems in one simple solution. My only reservation is that I'll be disappointed with the effects and amp sims for bass. 

I don't use tons effects - Octave, Chrorus, Envelope and some compression. Definitely no fuzz or overdrive.

Does anyone else go direct to FOH? If so, do you prefer one of the above options?

Thanks 

I don't use a Helix, but an older HD500x as my pre-amp as well as effects. It is certainly more limited in respect of bass specific bass amp/cab sims, but it's still incredibly usable, and sounds great.

I would say that it does give you the ability to have a multitude of different variations on amp & cab sounds, useful for different songs, add in effects, and you can switch between effects and/or patches during songs / between songs etc. The only other comparable pre-amp that could do something similar would be either the SanaAmp BDDI Deluxe, or the VT Bass Deluxe (both of which are now discontinued).

A single pre-amp pedal would mean that you keep a "core" sound, and add additional effects to that. To vary your sound, you'd need to add another pre-amp or something like an EQ pedal.

Maybe take a look at the Helix LT, which would give you more connectivity options as well as switching options.

• Like 1

There's always the new POD Go, same model set as the Helix range, but in a more versatile package than the HX Stomp and for around a similar price.

Some functions have been amended, but it would seem like a really good choice.

I use the HX Stomp in front of an amp when playing with a band, but I use it going direct when playing and recording at home. The amp models are excellent, and both the built-in cabs and the IR loader allow you a multitude of great cab options too.

And although I prefer to run it in front of an amp live, it's really nice to have the option to run direct if I need to for a fly gig, quiet stage, small bar setup etc. I'm really happy with it, both for effects and amps. The HX Stomp is also my entire setup for electric guitar (for recording at home) and acoustic guitar (for unplugged gigs), and I run direct in both those cases.

In terms of outputs - The HX Stomp technically has balanced outputs, so you can use a TRS to XLR cable to run to the desk without a DI box, but just for peace of mind and not having to carry a dedicated cable of undefined length I would use a DI box anyway.

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Multi effects have so many options over and above a preamp. What I find odd is that in this day and age they aren't often made with a DI output. Throwing a passive box after the output isn't the worst thing to have to do, but I'd have thought that as we lean less on amps and even go in-ear, that these all-in-one mission control panels can't be plumbed straight into the desk.

Bizarre- but, yeah, I'd go multi.

In respect of the OPs query regarding the HX Stomp, that does provide a balanced out, albeit from a normal jack output rather than an XLR, which can go straight to the desk. (But you're right, a fair few don't). 

• Like 1