Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Blazer/Roadster as part of a job lot!

kingforaday

I really don't understand the point of a reserve price on eBay.

If you don't want it sell for less than a particular price, start your auction at that price.

As a buyer I see little point in placing a bid on an item which has not yet reached the reserve price. This is from several previous experiences where I have ended up being the highest bidder but have not "won" the item due to the reserve price being higher than my winning bid.

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you don't want it sell for less than a particular price, start your auction at that price...

I believe that it's to do with the way Ebay charge the Seller's fees. It costs less to place the ad if the starting price is low. The 'reserve' price  prevents the item from being sold at a silly, 'knock-down' price, which would be the risk if no reserve was placed. In essence, it's Sellers being 'cheap-skate' whilst hedging their bets.
Happy to be wrong. B|

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you don't want it sell for less than a particular price, start your auction at that price.

As a buyer I see little point in placing a bid on an item which has not yet reached the reserve price. This is from several previous experiences where I have ended up being the highest bidder but have not "won" the item due to the reserve price being higher than my winning bid.

Me neither... it’s always irritated me. I see why to some degree but it still ultimately seems unnecessary

I also can’t decide if it’s worse that they expect you to guess what figure they’ve set as a reserve, or the listings that openly say “reserve is set at...” - both annoying in their own way!

Highly counterproductive IMO - I tend to automatically pass on anything with an undisclosed reserve, with a few exceptions when I've messaged the seller to ask how much it is. You'd think there'd be no problem with a potentially interested bidder knowing a seemingly pointless secret reserve.

But apparently there is! :lol:

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I believe that it's to do with the way Ebay charge the Seller's fees. It costs less to place the ad if the starting price is low. The 'reserve' price  prevents the item from being sold at a silly, 'knock-down' price, which would be the risk if no reserve was placed. In essence, it's Sellers being 'cheap-skate' whilst hedging their bets.
Happy to be wrong. B|

What sellers fees for listing?

I've been selling on eBay for 15 years and I know I've never paid anything for a listing. However IIRC if I wanted to set a reserve price it would actually cost me.

Edited by BigRedX

42 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What sellers fees for listing?

I've been selling on eBay for 15 years and I know I've never paid anything for a listing. However IIRC if I wanted to set a reserve price it would actually cost me.

Sorry, I've never sold anything, so I'm just stating what I've gleaned from here and there over the years. You've more knowledge of the subject than I; I stand corrected. :$

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Sorry, I've never sold anything, so I'm just stating what I've gleaned from here and there over the years. You've more knowledge of the subject than I; I stand corrected. :$

I believe that if your are brand new on eBay and haven't built up a buying history, or you list 1000s of items every month then you might need to pay some form of listings fees.

By the time I came to list my first item for sale on eBay I'd been buying stuff for over 5 years and I was offered a limited number of listings for free, but I would have to pay for any additional ones. I've always been careful to keep within my free listings limit. I've just checked and currently I'm allowed 999 free listings each month.

I doubt anyone other than those who make a living out of selling on eBay pay listings fees these days.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 12:45, Bassassin said:

Highly counterproductive IMO - I tend to automatically pass on anything with an undisclosed reserve, with a few exceptions when I've messaged the seller to ask how much it is. You'd think there'd be no problem with a potentially interested bidder knowing a seemingly pointless secret reserve.

But apparently there is! :lol:

Even more infuriating when you win an item and the seller says he put a reserve on it but Ebay didn't work properly and it hadn't done it (he'd put a BIN on it, not a reserve) and won't sell it (tried to sell it to me for more, actually).

21 minutes ago, prowla said:

I'll put a bid on at the price I want to pay, but if it's below reserve, then I'll just shrug and say never mind.

Sometimes getting bidding going is a start in auctions, but it's all a bit of a faff.

Yeah, I guess that’s the hope it might encourage people to get sucked in and bid more than they normally would... 

I always set an amount in my head where I’m like “I’d be very happy to get that for this much” - anything beyond that and the regret would be too strong and whatever it was would be going straight back on eBay! 

2 hours ago, kingforaday said:

Yeah, I guess that’s the hope it might encourage people to get sucked in and bid more than they normally would... 

I always set an amount in my head where I’m like “I’d be very happy to get that for this much” - anything beyond that and the regret would be too strong and whatever it was would be going straight back on eBay! 

About 10-15 years back I used to sell a lot on Ebay, would have 3 or 4 live listings a week, and pretty much made a living that way for a year or two.

Every listing without exception was a 99p, no reserve start, and over hundreds of sales I lost money on two, and that was only a matter of a few quid. My experience indicates that the temptation of a silly bargain massively motivates buyers, and attracts watchers & bidders who wouldn't bother if there was a reserve or ballpark start price.

Good, detailed pics, an accurate, informative description & a listing that covers as many relevant search terms as possible were what I feel was a recipe for success back then. I was mostly selling 70s/80s MIJ & MIK guitars (surprise!) and kind of got used to the idea of doubling or even tripling my outlay, including all fees.

Ebay & the market for what I was selling's not the same now but I'd be surprised if bidder behaviour's particularly different.

On 01/10/2020 at 11:00, Dad3353 said:

Happy to be wrong. B|

You have to pay extra for a reserve.

It's usually people worried about losing out but wanting a low starting price to attract attention.

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

Looks like that Blazer has had a rough paint job though, headstock has lost the decal as a result. Think the J pickup might also be wonky?! Could just be the photo angle.

Si

Wondered at first if it was a later 2 pickup Roadstar II Standard, but that J unit's all over the place! Body' slightly different too. Quite likely the original finish (including logos) is still there under the Dulux non-drip. Would be a bonus if that was a set of DiMarzios dropped in too, Blazers didn't come with cream pickup covers, as far as I know.

The old Tele's quite interesting too, it's early 70s MIJ. Would need to see the neckplate to tell if it was Matsumoku or Fujigen, but both of those factories did these with the same details & features this has.