Why become a member? ×

Anticipations - What do you currently await arriving in the mail or plan to acquire in the nearest future? -

Baloney Balderdash

A Digitech ”The Drop” is in the mail. Got a couple of songs in my current band with beautiful bass lines witch are using some open strings to get the right feeling. And makes them possible to play. Then there’s a singer who needs to lower the song two half steps. Arghh! I just can’t get it to feel and sound right without playing it the way it was written. Maybe this little thing can come to my rescue. 

• Like 1

A Bright Onion loop switcher. Oftentimes when shoving yet another pedal board together I think how much simpler twould be were I able to turn on the volume boost simultaneously with that pedal, or a little bottom end eq with thus or dirt with that. And so forth. 

I love my Tri Parallel Mixer. In fact if ever I see one second hand (at those rare moments when I have money) I'll snap it up. They allow these looping shenanigans with many simple options to help such as level control on each send and return, overall level control and dry signal level, tone pots on each loop, and phase switches. 

Sometimes however I just want a simple loop to give me one press for multiple pedals. Hopefully this is the answer. 

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 18:51, Baloney Balderdash said:

So as the tittle says, which effect pedals related gear do you currently anticipate arriving with the mail service or plan to acquire in the nearest future (like in the time frame of the next couple of months) ?

For me these are going to be my near future effect pedals related gear acquisitions :

Later this month (October 2020) :

- TC Electronic SpectraComp ( For the first in my signal chain, right after the bass, fairly subtle compression, for a slightly tighter and slightly more punchy signal to my other pedals (currently using one of the compressor models on my Zoom G1Xon) )

- Zoom B1X Four ( For my last in the chain (beside my 3 pedals/units "tone section", consisting of light compression/tube preamp stage -> equalization -> preamp stage, residing on top of my poweramp), reverb effects, placed right after my near future pedal board (which ends with a pedal that emulates a Roland Space Echo tape delay unit), planing to make 3 different reverb patches that I will stick to using, respectively being: a subtle plate reverb patch, a lush reverb patch, likely to be build up by following reverb models: (Early Reflections (not sure about this one)) -> Plate reverb -> HD Hall reverb, and finally a really thick reverb pad patch used with volume swells, likely going to consist of the same reverb models as the lush reverb patch, just even more prominent (as in higher in the mix and with increased decay time), and likely combined with a delay model of some sort placed in between the plate and the hall reverb ) 

- Harley Benton SpaceShip 40 ( My first real pedal board ever, for easing transport and general mobility of my effect pedals setup, now that I am finally rehearsing with other people again. Dimesions: 70-85 x 450 x 305 mm )

- 3 x Harley Benton Solder-Free Patch Cable KIT ( Solder free patch cable kit with angled, extremely flat plugs, for a tight fitting on the pedal board ) 

Next Month (November 2020) :

- Fender Blender fuzz clone from "Made by Mike" [ : http://madebymike.co.uk/ ] ( Well, placing the order there at least, then it will be an additional 4-6 weeks before I can expect it to actually arrive Not sure how I'll fit it into my setup honestly, but have been wanting a Fender Blender fuzz for a long time by now, ever since I first tried one myself and fell in love with it's harsh, abrasive, somewhat out of control, wild and insane octave fuzz tone )

For now I have dropped the plans about getting a Zoom B1X Four for reverb effects at the end of my pedal effects chain and decided to instead use my Zoom G1Xon for that, which currently fills out the role as my start of the chain subtle compressor (going to be replaced by a TC Electronic SpectraComp).

The TC Electronic SpectraComp for compression at the start of my pedal effects chain was delivered today, but I wasn't home to sign the delivery so it has been passed on to a depot where I can pick it up.

Very much looking forward to pick it up and try it out, I will pick it up at the depot tomorrow.

I also just ordered a cheap NUX Mini Core SE Phaser yesterday (same as the Kokko Mini Phaser, which is a digital emulation of the MXR Pahse 90 phaser, just, beside the speed control, with an added depth and mix control), which I await arriving with the mail Monday next week, as I discovered my cheap Xvive Phaser King was sucking out a lot of high end from my signal.

The few bass demos I have been able to find on YouTube of this phaser sounds great, but if it turns out not to meet my expectation I will order a TC Electronic Healix phaser instead next time I get money, around the middle of October, where I will then also order the Harley Benton pedal board and the solder-free patch cables. 

Finally I am pondering on getting an Ibanez Super Metal Mini, to replace the Joyo Orange Juice overdrive stacked into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone that I, parallly mixed with a Turbo Rat clone, via my Boss LS-2, use for my high gain bass distortion currently.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

For now I have dropped the plans about getting a Zoom B1X Four for reverb effects at the end of my pedal effects chain and decided to instead use my Zoom G1Xon for that, which currently fills out the role as my start of the chain subtle compressor (going to be replaced by a TC Electronic SpectraComp).

The TC Electronic SpectraComp for compression at the start of my pedal effects chain was delivered today, but I wasn't home to sign the delivery so it has been passed on to a depot where I can pick it up.

Very much looking forward to pick it up and try it out, I will pick it up at the depot tomorrow.

I also just ordered a cheap NUX Mini Core SE Phaser yesterday (same as the Kokko Mini Phaser, which is a digital emulation of the MXR Pahse 90 phaser, just, beside the speed control, with an added depth and mix control), which I await arriving with the mail Monday next week, as I discovered my cheap Xvive Phaser King was sucking out a lot of high end from my signal.

The few bass demos I have been able to find on YouTube of this phaser sounds great, but if it turns out not to meet my expectation I will order a TC Electronic Healix phaser instead next time I get money, around the middle of October, where I will then also order the Harley Benton pedal board and the solder-free patch cables. 

Finally I am pondering on getting an Ibanez Super Metal Mini, to replace the Joyo Orange Juice overdrive stacked into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone that I, parallly mixed with a Turbo Rat clone, via my Boss LS-2, use for my high gain bass distortion currently.

Sounds good 

As phasers go I cannot recommend the tc electronic blood moon highly enough I love mine 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Sounds good 

As phasers go I cannot recommend the tc electronic blood moon highly enough I love mine 

I thought I needed a flanger for the sound I was after. Turned out it was a phaser. TC E was on my list but I snagged a Mr Black Gilamondo before I got to try one. 

It sounds so good in my soul band adds a psychedelic vibe. 

1 hour ago, maidens97 said:

A Harley Benton ISO5 Power supply on the recommendation of @andy67! should arrive today

Excellent :D I totally adore my iso2. Been working more on the Ampeg pedals, the optocomp is superb but the classic preamp is outstanding! You really can hear the difference it makes between it going in dry and the effect it creates when activated. The scrambler is getting better by the day. It holds onto the bass signal well producing lots of low end while not getting caught up in the mid mush of distortion and as I said previously, the blend control is a masterstroke in allowing you to control the overdrive signal mixed in with the low end. 

3 hours ago, maidens97 said:

The ios5 arrived an hour or so ago and it's great so thank you for the recommendation! Definitely looking into the optocomp but probably not the preamp as I really love the way the CTM300 sounds as it is

No point in a preamp when you have that particular monster at hand 🤘My latest acquisition arrived yesterday and because it’s digital, that is my reason behind the preamp.

3A443B51-AEF3-4116-9FAC-BFF2C24073E7.png

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, andy67 said:

No point in a preamp when you have that particular monster at hand 🤘My latest acquisition arrived yesterday and because it’s digital, that is my reason behind the preamp.imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2

3A443B51-AEF3-4116-9FAC-BFF2C24073E7.png

Looks great out of interest how do you find the tc nether? I have one and think that it is pretty cool but I'm not experienced with octaves 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andy67 said:

It’s my first octaver too so finding out a little bit by bit. It’s great value for money and pretty cool at doing what it does. My only negative is that sometimes it lags a little. 

I find it fun with my ashdown amp if I use the suboctave on that and the nether it sounds awesome 

I think from what I have read all octaves lag unless they are digital don't know if that's correct though 

Edited by Thunderbird

2 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

I find it fun with my ashdown amp if I use the suboctave on that and the nether it sounds awesome 

I think from what I have read all octaves lag unless they are digital don't know if that's correct though 

That must sound very cool with the subharmonic activated 👍 my fav is the classic preamp pedal and the optocomp but only use those with either of my TC electronic heads 👍

• Like 1

I ordered a MIDI bass guitar last October with a build time of “6-12 months”... with the Covid situation, there has been a bit of a delay but I am told by the builder that it should be ready by the end of next month.  In anticipation of that, I have bought a Roland JV-1010 sound module on e-bay yesterday, and I hope to eventually fit that to my pedal-board.

• Like 1

Been after a drive pedal for a while, nearly bought a SA Aftershock a couple of times but went off it due to having faaar too many options for me! Came across the EHX Battalion Nano the other night, really liked what I saw and heard, figured at £85 delivered it would be worth  the punt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ramsay777 said:

Been after a drive pedal for a while, nearly bought a SA Aftershock a couple of times but went off it due to having faaar too many options for me! Came across the EHX Battalion Nano the other night, really liked what I saw and heard, figured at £85 delivered it would be worth  the punt.

How do you find the battalion 👍

• Like 1

Awaiting a NUX Mini Core SE Phaser, which is the same as the Koko Mini Phaser, a digital emulation of the MXR Phase 90, just with an added depth and mix control, beside the speed control of the original, as well as a TC Electronic Blood Moon phaser, which is analog, and likely to be a clone of the Boss PH-1r, both should arive with the mail service tomorrow. 

One of those is going to replace the Xvive V6 Phaser King that I previously used, parallelly mixed with a flanger via my Boss LS-2, since I discovered that the Xvive sucked the high end out of my signal badly. 

Also concluded that I don't need a compressor first in my chain, beside my EHX Black Finger, that is placed towards the end of it, the TC Electronic SpectraComp is still an amazing compressor pedal though, I just have any use of it currently, but will keep it anyway.

Got a TC Electronics Hall of Fame in the post on Saturday.

"What's that do then?" said my other half.

"Makes it sound like I'm playing in a huge cathedral" I explained.

"Oh, right" she said " guess you don't need one to sound like a middle aged man playing all by himself in the spare room"

True enough 😁.

As to the little red box .. as with all TC stuff, maybe too many options, especially when you hack into the tone print editor.  Seems to start the reverberation very quickly, ( max of 100ms delay ) so lacks a bit of breathing space before things get effecty.  Cathedral fun aside, using it less works best. 

It's only for fun really, doubt I'd ever use it in a band.

41 minutes ago, NickA said:

Got a TC Electronics Hall of Fame in the post on Saturday.

"What's that do then?" said my other half.

"Makes it sound like I'm playing in a huge cathedral" I explained.

"Oh, right" she said " guess you don't need one to sound like a middle aged man playing all by himself in the spare room"

True enough 😁.

As to the little red box .. as with all TC stuff, maybe too many options, especially when you hack into the tone print editor.  Seems to start the reverberation very quickly, ( max of 100ms delay ) so lacks a bit of breathing space before things get effecty.  Cathedral fun aside, using it less works best. 

It's only for fun really, doubt I'd ever use it in a band.

Actually 100ms is in fact quite a lot of pre-delay for a reverb effect, almost gets into echo/delay territory, in comparison your typical build in spring reverb in an amp will have almost no pre-delay and react almost immediately.

And a lot of reverb effect pedals will even not have any pre-delay at all and almost response immediately.

If you imagine  the reverb coming from a room, as in acoustic reverb, it would have to be a pretty darn big room for the reflections to have that much delay. 

Sound travel with about 343 meter per second, and 100ms is a 1/10 of a whole second, which means at 100ms, if you sit in the midle of a room playing, that the walls of that room would be 17m away all around you, since 1/10 of 334m is 34m, and the sound will need to travel forward to the walls and then back again, and 2/34m = 17m.

I will typically use just about 10ms of pre-delay on my main always on subtle plate reverb.

The trick for your clean bass tone to not be drowned in reverb is having the right mix of the reverbed and clean signal and to use HP and LP filters on the reverbed signal, so that it doesn't effect the full frequency spectrum of the clean bass signal, a real acoustic reverb of a room wouldn't either, and then of course also make sure not to have crazy decay times that will stretch long over each pick and keep adding up as you play, making it all quickly turn into a mush of reverb.

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

100ms is actually quite a lot of pre-delay,

Sound travels 340m/s so 100ms is a wall 17m away.  I played in Perborough cathedral once, ( HUGE space ) lt felt like forever before the first return of sound .... Which then reverbed forever and muddied the following notes - could use more damping frankly! Those Norman builders weren't hot on acoustic modelling.

Think what I'd like is indeed close to an echo, but followed by random reverberation and with the initial transient smeared out.  Sure I can program it somehow between the hall of fame and the flash back boxes. Just enough to sound a clear note before the effect kicks in.

Meanwhile subtle plate or ambient work well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NickA said:

Sound travels 340m/s so 100ms is a wall 17m away.  I played in Perborough cathedral once, ( HUGE space ) lt felt like forever before the first return of sound .... Which then reverbed forever and muddied the following notes - could use more damping frankly! Those Norman builders weren't hot on acoustic modelling.

Think what I'd like is indeed close to an echo, but followed by random reverberation and with the initial transient smeared out.  Sure I can program it somehow between the hall of fame and the flash back boxes. Just enough to sound a clear note before the effect kicks in.

Meanwhile subtle plate or ambient work well.

Yeah, maybe what you need is really an effect combining delay and reverb, sometimes marketed as an echo effect, though that term is also often used interchangeably for a regular delay effect.

I know the EHX Cathedral pedal got a mode called echo which does exactly what you are looking for.

Though of course you could achieve pretty much the same by combining your delay and reverb effect if using the right settings.