Why become a member? ×

What would you do? (Vintage P-bass decision)

Marcray

Keep it as it is. Also, if you do it in green, then technically, from a vintage point of view, the tort guard will be incorrect. It was only sunburst, shell pink and olympic white that came with tort pickguards back then, so although I'm sure it would look good it in green, it wouldn't look like it did when it left the factory.

51 minutes ago, Belka said:

Keep it as it is. Also, if you do it in green, then technically, from a vintage point of view, the tort guard will be incorrect. It was only sunburst, shell pink and olympic white that came with tort pickguards back then, so although I'm sure it would look good it in green, it wouldn't look like it did when it left the factory.

That was one of my initial thoughts but I was able to find a few examples of custom Sea Foam green with a tort guard.  Surf Green is usually paired with a white guard, but they sure are pretty with a tort.  Honestly, it’s my instinct to stick with the white unless there was some indisputable reason that a refinish would improve the bass, which it will not.  Everyone here has made some great points which I’m grateful for. 🙂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Keep it exactly how it is. And then order a custom from someone like Moollon, Olinto or Limelight to address your want for a Sea Foam over Sunburst curiosity.

Simples

Si

I’m attempting to downsize here!! 😁

On 30/09/2020 at 17:44, Happy Jack said:

If the look & feel of the bass are a direct result of decades of you playing it ... leave it alone!

If you do nothing now, then you retain the option to something later. If you do a refin now then that history is destroyed, and you can never get it back.

This. I have an old Status Eclipse that I gigged all through the 90’s and early 2000’s. It was full of travel worn loveliness. Stupidly I painted it years ago and now I regret it so much. If I want it back to factory colour I have lost all the history of it. If I don’t I have lost all the history of it.