Why become a member? ×

10 CELEBRITIES WHO PLAY BASS

Bart Funk Bass

19 minutes ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

Everyone who likes to watch various movie genres know those guys. :P

Hmm... I sometimes watch films, on'telly, but who is playing whom in any of 'em, I couldn't say. On top of that, they are dressed up and made up to resemble their roles :lol: ..! The TV companies don't 'roll' the credits at the end, as they're in a pressing hurry to get back to the adverts (and anyway, I've fallen asleep by then :$ ...)
There are many (most..?) films that I get to see several times over, and still see entire sequences I've nodded off through. It also means that I can see a film and enjoy a 'surprise ending' many times over (Mulholland Drive..? Usual Suspects..? etc...), as I've forgotten what happens. (Yes, I had to search for the 'Mulholland' part. I knew it had 'Drive' in there somewhere, though :sun_bespectacled:...).
No, I don't have 'social media', nor even know what 'twittering' is all about. I don't think I'm as unusual as all that, on a planetary scale. -_-

Edited by Dad3353

"Celebrity" has taken on a very broad meaning these days.  Years ago, when we only had two or three TV channels, everyone tended to watch the same programmes - like Morecambe and Wise getting around twenty five million viewers for their Christmas show.

Now, with the plethora of channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and all the social media outlets, we are all watching different things.  From the list given, Gary Sinise is the only one I really recognised as I have seen him in the TV series CSI New York.  Even then, without a picture of him I would have struggled to place the name.  I have heard of a couple of others but have never seen them in anything.  I don't watch films (apart from Toy Story with the grandkids!) and very rarely watch TV these days.

I follow my interests which include bass playing (obviously) cycling, winter sports and music (mainly modern country and Christian).  I could not name one current footballer, cricketer or rugby player.  I would probably recognise a name or two if you were to mention them, but off the top of my head I could not name any.  I could list loads of professional cyclists, skiers and country music performers that most people would not know about - that's where we are with a fragmented media.

I see the names of "great" bass players mentioned on this forum and rock and metal bands but they mean nothing to me as I don't listen to that type of music.  Never assume that everyone knows who you are talking about.  The main stream media seem to manufacture "celebrities" by the dozen.  They get their limited fifteen minutes of fame on some 'reality' show then fade from view.  I'm happy in my own little world!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2020 at 18:02, fretmeister said:

Momoa is a big deal now. He's Aquaman in the DC films and was in Game of Thrones.

And is just about the coolest guy on the planet. Not only good looking and an actor. He plays bass and jams with big name rock stars. Is an animal rights activist. Is devoted to his family and has a good sense of humour. 

3 hours ago, LeftyP said:

"Celebrity" has taken on a very broad meaning these days.  Years ago, when we only had two or three TV channels, everyone tended to watch the same programmes - like Morecambe and Wise getting around twenty five million viewers for their Christmas show.

Now, with the plethora of channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and all the social media outlets, we are all watching different things.  From the list given, Gary Sinise is the only one I really recognised as I have seen him in the TV series CSI New York.  Even then, without a picture of him I would have struggled to place the name.  I have heard of a couple of others but have never seen them in anything.  I don't watch films (apart from Toy Story with the grandkids!) and very rarely watch TV these days.

I follow my interests which include bass playing (obviously) cycling, winter sports and music (mainly modern country and Christian).  I could not name one current footballer, cricketer or rugby player.  I would probably recognise a name or two if you were to mention them, but off the top of my head I could not name any.  I could list loads of professional cyclists, skiers and country music performers that most people would not know about - that's where we are with a fragmented media.

I see the names of "great" bass players mentioned on this forum and rock and metal bands but they mean nothing to me as I don't listen to that type of music.  Never assume that everyone knows who you are talking about.  The main stream media seem to manufacture "celebrities" by the dozen.  They get their limited fifteen minutes of fame on some 'reality' show then fade from view.  I'm happy in my own little world!

Yep , 'fame' is a niche thing these days. Those days where being famous meant almost everyone on the planet knows who you are long gone, but even then the big names of cinema, music and sport of the 50s - 80s generally meant nowt to millennials. I don't follow footie or cricket either and couldn't name a single player in the England teams. Rugby, however, I do know and could maybe name almost every player in each of the Six Nations teams of the last  few seasons. Haven't got a clue about modern pop n' rock either. Hadn't heard of 11 of the 12 nominees for the Mercury MP but I have a geeky knowledge of 'electronica', which is what I mostly listen to.

• 3 years later...
On 06/10/2020 at 18:15, LeftyP said:

In today's media landscape, mainstream outlets often churn out "celebrities" through reality shows and other platforms visit granting them fleeting moments of fame before they fade into obscurity. Amidst this, finding contentment in our own interests and hobbies, like exploring the world of bass playing or indulging in niche music genres, can be incredibly fulfilling

It's interesting how the concept of "celebrity" has evolved over time, especially with the vast array of entertainment options available today. With the rise of numerous TV channels, streaming platforms, and social media, we're all consuming different content tailored to our interests. Personally, I can relate to recognizing only a few names from your list, mainly due to specific shows or interests I have. It's a testament to the fragmented nature of media consumption nowadays.

I resonate with your approach of following your passions, whether it's bass playing, cycling, winter sports, or music genres like modern country and Christian. In a world where mainstream sports and entertainment dominate, it's refreshing to focus on niche interests that truly resonate with us. It's a reminder that everyone's definition of "celebrity" is subjective and unique to their individual experiences.

Thanks for sharing your perspective—it's a reminder to never assume everyone shares the same cultural references or interests. Embracing our own little worlds and finding joy in our passions is what truly matters.

On 06/10/2020 at 17:44, ubit said:

And is just about the coolest guy on the planet. Not only good looking and an actor. He plays bass and jams with big name rock stars. Is an animal rights activist. Is devoted to his family and has a good sense of humour. 

And he plays mandolin too.