Why become a member? ×

Rocco Prestia - RIP

Doddy

I'd never really heard of Rocco before... seen a few references to Tower of Power (mainly on Basschat), but never heard the music.

I guess I had mentally compartmentalized them as not my bag.

But just a heard a track on 6 music and thought "that a great bassline"... song was pretty good too. Looked at the digital display and..........Yes it was TOP!

Nice one Rocco!

Incidentally, and I do know I'm on the losing side for this, the correct pronunciation of his (Sicilian) surname has the stress on the "i" not on the "e", and the "ia" in Prestia is not a diphtong - it's meant to be pronounced as two sounds, as if it was spelled ïa.

No idea how his current US family pronounce their surname, but I bet that it doesn't sound similar to "Preston".

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

On 30/09/2020 at 12:17, chris_b said:

Very sad news. But with his health issues, not really unexpected. About 20 years ago, Rocco was the first person I saw using crowd funding, when he was trying to fund a liver transplant.

I remember that too. 

3 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Not a bad group of musicians paying tribute to Rocco:

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 18.29.57.png

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 19.13.42.png

Gutted I could only watch a bit of it due to it starting late. I really hope it gets put online in full because the bits I did hear were inspiring. Hard not to be inspired by that lot but especially when discussing the greatest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Gutted I could only watch a bit of it due to it starting late. I really hope it gets put online in full because the bits I did hear were inspiring. Hard not to be inspired by that lot but especially when discussing the greatest.

When Alicia came on that was wonderful to a) hear her emotional story but also b) hear the reaction of the musicians. Rob Trujillo came on later, which surprised me, but I had to leave before he had a chance to say anything.

Edited by Bobthedog