Why become a member? ×

Rocco Prestia - RIP

Doddy

David Garibaldi posted on Facebook an hour ago that Francis 'Rocco' Prestia passed away last night.

He was a super funky player, and his sixteenth note groove was a big factor in the Tower of Power sound.

Sad news.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Sad 19

An absolute monster of a player. Had the pleasure of meeting him 3 years ago when TOP played in Manchester, (first time in 15 years), and he was an incredibly nice guy to talk to.

Turns out that was his last tour and he only worked in the studio from then on in.

Another legend gone.

Very sad news. But with his health issues, not really unexpected. About 20 years ago, Rocco was the first person I saw using crowd funding, when he was trying to fund a liver transplant.

A few years ago ToP were touring in Holland and Rocco was hospitalised (something that happened more than once) and they had to do 2 shows without a bass player!!! That's why they replaced him on the road.

Listen to the Bump City album. Blew my brain when I heard that for the first time.

I blagged my way into a clinic with FRP as I was obsessed with TOP and particularly his bass playing. I asked so many questions that the people running it started ingnoring my hand each time it went up. Afterwards we got chatting to him and he was very self deprecating.  I Showed him my transcriptions and he was amazed that anyone would bother. After a great chat he insisted that my mate and I go to the bands gig at the Forum that night on his guest list. Sure enough when we arrived our names were down. As they came on stage the entire band shook me and my mates hands. After the final encore the entire band did the same. I never got to say thanks him. He was my biggest inspiration and it was one of those rare times when your idol exceeds your expectations. RIP FRP.

1E2266A3-E880-4E51-98E0-008D5488987E.jpeg.7df33923835269e6d24228f556a37761.jpeg

• Like 11

I seem to learn of so many great players only at the time of their passing. 

A latecomer to the genre and ToP in particular, I love the little I've heard. 

Learning about the bass player would have been my next step. 

Sad news. I'm sorry for those of you who knew and loved the guy's playing. 

Prestia had been battling various illnesses since 2001 – in 2014, he underwent a “lifesaving” kidney transplant.Tower of Power bandleader Emilio Castillo confirmed the news on the band’s official Facebook page, writing: “Our dear "Rocco" passed away last night, peacefully with his family by his side at a hospice in Las Vegas.

“As a bass player he was totally unique and as a person he was one of a kind. He fought a long fight over the last 20 years and now he's with the Lord and heaven is his home.

Blue