Why become a member? ×

Word Up - Gun Version cover

DaytonaRik

I've been using Reaper for a while now but it's usually just been for my own use, or maybe for the odd snippet here and there for the band's use but I've decided to throw myself into it for a few days and actually get a track done and dusted!

Everything has been recorded in the box - guitars and bass are courtesy of Positive Grid's fantastic Bias FX2, drums via Slate Drums 5 and all channel processing, EQ through Slate Digital's excellent Virtual Mix Rack, with a touch of reverb from VerbSuite.

All instruments were recorded though Behringer's XR18 which did a pretty good job, and vocals were recorded with my Rode NT1-A mic

I know there are a few places where the lead vocal timing could have been corrected, but comments re general recording, balance, guitar tones etc. is appreciated and welcomed.  I'm no CLA, but it's only by trying this stuff and trial, error, and the odd lightbulb moment that we learn, improve and make better recordings.

This is an early pass with no bus processing or mastering - just trying to get a feel for opinions of what I'm doing right or wrong production-wise!

Ta!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @skidder652003- it was a good exercise in trying to replicate a fairly well known track in terms of tones/sound.  Learned a ton of tricks re drums - I have access to the Slate Academy as part of the All Access subscription and learned tricks I'd never have even thought of trying...the same as the Vance Powell vid that I pointed you in the direction of.

• Like 2

The XR18/X32 stuff is insane value for money.  I kept mine as a spare desk when I moved to an X32 Rack - now it lives in my home studio as a multi-input interface.

I also use DAW Control software on an iPad as a Mackie Control Surface clone to fly Reaper and this works very well...sometimes you just want to have hands on faders rather than using a mouse for everything.

BC5FDDB3-40B6-45E7-B3F9-00D6405904F9_1_201_a.jpeg

93F1F6B0-DE82-4D0E-A46A-473D346CA560_1_201_a.jpeg

FB82782C-4BB8-400E-B20B-38D0498F169E_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1