Why become a member? ×

Status necks on stingrays

tom1946

Think it's probably mid to late 80's .

Bought it nearly 30 years ago from a bloke who sold the body and neck off , then got Roger Giffin to make a body with a fancy top , then fit the neck . He had a fretted and fretless done - as a pair . I went for both of them , but the fretted got sold. So I had the fretless and got a guy called Steve Smith (from Southend) , to fret it . He was involved with Goodfellow if I remember .

• Like 1

The neck was fitted for me by Rob Green in 2005 and this bass was my go to for over 10 years.  It had an almost piano-like quality sound and rarely went out of tune. Sadly it moved on a few years ago when I realised that no longer needed a 5-string.

sr5_02.thumb.jpg.409a0234829e19b7d99869402c8cae6b.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a Cutlass II in the late 90s in my native Italy; I brought it over with me in the UK, when I relocated at the end of 1999.

It is now part of the collection of a very well loved English bass player.

In the Summer of 2018 I was lucky enough to find a Status neck on eBay and I bought it for a StingRay I used to own at the time. I loved the combination, possibly even more so than the Cutlass II, as I have never been a Sabre type. To each his own, I guess...

I hope to play another one before I die! 😎

Renato Cutlass II horizontal.jpg

Renato StingRay with Status neck landscape.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

No doubt the Status necks are great, but the neck on my Ray is amazing, would only replace it if there was a catastrophe 

110% with you on this one, but graphite has its lovely flavour, and it marries a StingRay body beautifully.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Found photos

stingrays.thumb.JPG.32b6c97437a7e4f3f8caec5c7f6582cf.JPG

Got a status neck fitted to a stingray years ago. Will add photos later. 
kept it for about a year then went back to original wooden neck. 
At the time had 2 stingrays. One original and other with status neck. The status neck sounded and felt great. But it was noisy or my technique was crap. Hammer ons and offs always created unwanted overtones and fret clank. Nothing on the wooden one. 
So sold it and went back to wood. 

On 23/10/2020 at 13:49, obbm said:

The neck was fitted for me by Rob Green in 2005 and this bass was my go to for over 10 years.  It had an almost piano-like quality sound and rarely went out of tune. Sadly it moved on a few years ago when I realised that no longer needed a 5-string.

sr5_02.thumb.jpg.409a0234829e19b7d99869402c8cae6b.jpg

I thought that was a cracking bass - I wish I'd had the funds at the time to take it off your hands...

• Like 1