Why become a member? ×

Status necks on stingrays

tom1946

Got a status neck fitted to a stingray years ago. Will add photos later. 
kept it for about a year then went back to original wooden neck. 
At the time had 2 stingrays. One original and other with status neck. The status neck sounded and felt great. But it was noisy or my technique was crap. Hammer ons and offs always created unwanted overtones and fret clank. Nothing on the wooden one. 
So sold it and went back to wood. 

As well as the Cutlass 1 (Stingray with Modulus graphite neck) and Cutlass 11 (Sabre with Modulus graphite neck), on 1982/3 (rare - only around 700 made), EBMM issued a Ray in 2001 with various different features including a Status graphite neck and through body, mute fitted bridge as a NAMM 100 model - only 100 made so even rarer - suffice it to say I'm envious of anyone with one of these basses.....😎

2132421606_NAMMRay1.jpg.87b6515c37dbc8f21108297cb1b1ff61.jpg271201585_NAMMRay2.jpg.e053b3b29b881abffebf86efaee0cf20.jpg

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 20:43, tom1946 said:

Thanks for the info, I did find the website but was just looking for more info and peoples experience with them too. I was looking at the black Ray but I left it too long as usual. :(

Interesting to note but they do 2 pseudo maple boards now, also the ray necks are over £400 with the vat.

Are they much harder to fit than wood?

The price is considerable - but still cheaper than what used Stingray necks go for on ebay. Modern ones are usually close to £500 for a 4 string, more for a 5 string.

1970s ones hit a grand sometimes!

I suppose the rarity of just finding a neck keeps the price up.

34 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

As well as the Cutlass 1 (Stingray with Modulus graphite neck) and Cutlass 11 (Sabre with Modulus graphite neck), on 1982/3 (rare - only around 700 made), EBMM issued a Ray in 2001 with various different features including a Status graphite neck and through body, mute fitted bridge as a NAMM 100 model - only 100 made so even rarer - suffice it to say I'm envious of anyone with one of these basses.....😎

2132421606_NAMMRay1.jpg.87b6515c37dbc8f21108297cb1b1ff61.jpg271201585_NAMMRay2.jpg.e053b3b29b881abffebf86efaee0cf20.jpg

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

@drTStingray I know @hiram.k.hackenbacker has one.

He’s told me he’ll sell it me next week 😉😂

Sorry @AndyTravis, it’s a keeper. Found it for sale in a guitar shop in Slough. Story was they guy who originally owned it bought it on release intending to learn bass and it spent the next few years in its case untouched under a bed until he decided to get the shop to sell it for him. I literally drove there within 24 hours of seeing it.

36927FAA-2974-436B-83A3-0C31D77B5033.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh yeah. It’s a keeper. Found it for sale in a guitar shop in Slough. Story was they guy who originally owned it bought it on release intending to learn bass and it spent the next few years in its case untouched under a bed until he decided to get the shop to sell it for him. I literally drove there within 24 hours of seeing it.

36927FAA-2974-436B-83A3-0C31D77B5033.jpeg

Broken that mate - look at the state of it.

You’ll take my offer of £5 and a mars bar, and count yourself lucky...

51 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Broken that mate - look at the state of it.

You’ll take my offer of £5 and a mars bar, and count yourself lucky...

You're wrong - he broke the Flea Jazz (or rather it broke itself i believe, but has/had a Status neck following this).

@AndyTravis I recalled @hiram.k.hackenbacker has/had one of these - glad he's still got it 👍 suffice it to say if he has some sort of aberration and decides to sell it, I'd be more than happy and willing to pay the proper price plus a multi - pack of Twix or any other biscuit based snack that takes his fancy (PS stranger things have happened - I heard a story I think of a gilded white Stingray Classic, if not other Stingray-based models) 😉😯

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

You're wrong - he broke the Flea Jazz (or rather it broke itself i believe, but has/had a Status neck following this).

@AndyTravis I recalled @hiram.k.hackenbacker has/had one of these - glad he's still got it 👍 suffice it to say if he has some sort of aberration and decides to sell it, I'd be more than happy and willing to pay the proper price plus a multi - pack of Twix or any other biscuit based snack that takes his fancy (PS stranger things have happened - I heard a story I think of a gilded white Stingray Classic, if not other Stingray-based models) 😉😯

Yes, we don’t talk about the Gilded one any more thank you 😉.

Yes, the Flea broke, but it’s still here with its new graphite neck. Just need to sort out getting the original pick guard to fit. I think the heels on the Status necks must be a very slightly different shape. 

On 2 October 2020 at 14:43, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, we don’t talk about the Gilded one any more thank you 😉.

Yes, the Flea broke, but it’s still here with its new graphite neck. Just need to sort out getting the original pick guard to fit. I think the heels on the Status necks must be a very slightly different shape. 

Ouch - does that mean the Flea has an ill fitting scratch plate or is it actually naked and showing it's latter day Fender Jazz under the pickguard routing (or body lightening features dependent how you view it) 😯

5 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Ouch - does that mean the Flea has an ill fitting scratch plate or is it actually naked and showing it's latter day Fender Jazz under the pickguard routing (or body lightening features dependent how you view it) 😯

When I took the Flea to Rob for the graphite neck to be fitted, it had a custom scratch plate fitted to the body, I didn’t give it a second thought until I decided to put the original back on only to find that it didn’t fit around the heel joint. It’s only a little thing, but it would be nice to be able to swap between the two guards.

4363F02B-5BB5-4DD1-B603-821FED8248A8.jpeg

On 30/09/2020 at 22:31, Beedster said:

Duplicate :)

image.png

Mmm nice. How did you find the fretless tone? Did it have graphite zing etc? I'm interested in a fretless Ray at some point and I'm not totally against the graphite fretless tone (I really liked my Zon fretless I sold a while back). But I guess the question is...can you get a warm fretless tone out of Ray/Sabre electrics with the Status neck?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Just found this on Reverb - custom made Ray body with with what looks like Ray parts and a Status neck. Cor.

https://reverb.com/item/34020695-status-graphite-musicman-2020-galaxy-sparkle

image.thumb.png.2adcc11d6c82f5e37aa06672dc63f5e4.png

Nice that - but still too expensive - you could get a decent second hand Ray, sterling etc , and a brand new status neck for less

On 02/10/2020 at 12:47, Beedster said:

Finding that bass in Slough is like running into the Minogue sisters at the Dog & Duck

I drove all the way to Slough once to buy a Rickenbacker. I realised only too late that it was in fact a Dog as *uck. 🤦🏼‍♂️

On 06/10/2020 at 11:09, Cairobill said:

Mmm nice. How did you find the fretless tone? Did it have graphite zing etc? I'm interested in a fretless Ray at some point and I'm not totally against the graphite fretless tone (I really liked my Zon fretless I sold a while back). But I guess the question is...can you get a warm fretless tone out of Ray/Sabre electrics with the Status neck?

Hey mate, hope all's well, there was plenty of everything on tap, I'm not sure that graphite is any colder sounding than wood, just perhaps more able to zing at the top end a bit more. 

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

Hey mate, hope all's well, there was plenty of everything on tap, I'm not sure that graphite is any colder sounding than wood, just perhaps more able to zing at the top end a bit more. 

They do sound good. I can see one in my future!

Hope you're well too. We're all hunkered down here in the weald

Edited by Cairobill

On 30/09/2020 at 18:13, reesource said:

Yep, it's truly terrible - but now I really want to know the number 1 worst website you've seen this year!

I really don't need to put a graphite neck on any of my basses, but this thread has got me tempted...

Yep, the website's pretty much 20 years old and hasn't really been updated in all that time. 

I'd love a graphite neck on my Bongos, but the Status ones are too short - Bongos have two-octave necks. Moses used to do a drop-in replacement Bongo graphite neck, but they've gone out of business now.