Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder (J/P) project

TheGreek

Oh the poor thing. I can hear its cries of pain from here. :( Somebody please give it some TLC.

The electrics are like hens' teeth and yes the knobs are a ridiculous price. I've given up looking for some for mine, pretty much resigned to the fact that it'll never be a proper restoration. That'd be the best course of action for this one too.

What a mess. Considering unmolested Thunder 1s regularly go for £150 - £175, this shouldn't realistically sell for much more than the £79 it's currently at.

This is a 1A that's been modded, preamp presumably ripped out (switches are missing) and a J pickup added, presumably wired to the selector that's where one of the pots used to be. Depending on what it's stuck on with, probably not a massive project to get that rubbish off it & tidy it up.

I once bought a bass from a car boot sale which was covered in stickers (even the neck!); it took me ages to get them off.

Looking at it, though, the extra J pickup has been badly added and is off-centre, so there's no tidying that up once the stickers/paper have been removed.

Ordinary adhesive stickers are easy to remove, use a hairdryer to warm/soften the glue & they usually just peel off without leaving residue. Problem's going to be if the stuff on this (looks like cartoon images) has been stuck on with solvent-based adhesive. Acetone would probably do it (won't damage the poly underneath) but it's unpleasant stuff to work with & takes a lot of elbow-grease.

Here's a sticker-covered guitar I did (several years) earlier, took about 15 minutes...

erostelebeforenafter.thumb.jpg.18c436f294aa0a32479dffcf732c8e0d.jpg

...and one that required gallons of 'orrible acetone, and took about a week:

l6sbeforeafter.thumb.jpg.5216b8c0041f01e781122989b9062d6a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Ordinary adhesive stickers are easy to remove, use a hairdryer to warm/soften the glue & they usually just peel off without leaving residue. Problem's going to be if the stuff on this (looks like cartoon images) has been stuck on with solvent-based adhesive. Acetone would probably do it (won't damage the poly underneath) but it's unpleasant stuff to work with & takes a lot of elbow-grease.

Here's a sticker-covered guitar I did (several years) earlier, took about 15 minutes...

erostelebeforenafter.thumb.jpg.18c436f294aa0a32479dffcf732c8e0d.jpg

Given the likely provenance, did you check it for bugs?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Sold for £112....a steal

Not sure it was a steal; some money needs to be spent on it to sort the electrics and some correct knobs, but the J pickup bay has wrecked it.

OTOH, I suppose it could be parted out.