Why become a member? ×

Pubs banned from loud music

Al Krow

On 28/09/2020 at 22:02, Happy Jack said:

Gigging is indeed dead for anyone who wants it that way. All anyone has to do is to decide not to bother trying to find gigs.

I disagree. Places round here would not pay for a band unless they could make their money on drink sales. If it was all social distancing etc. they wouldn’t fork out 

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

Years ago when we were more or less starting, we played at a dance. One of the organisers was walking round with ear defenders on all evening and even measured the noise levels. He proudly told us that we were louder than a Tornado jet taxiing. (He was right into his ATC stuff)  Thing is, we only had a 100 watt vocal amp and the vocals were clear in the mix so we all thought he was just being a right twatt. 

Should have mentioned that if he had stood as close to the jet as he did to the band to take a reading.......he would be dead. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubit said:

We used to play regularly in a bar that had a noise limiter. We argued that if our expensive gear was suddenly shut down and then powered up again there would be catastrophic results. The bar agreed that we wouldn’t go through their limiter circuit but that we must comply with the light that came on. We used to use it as part of our lighting and smirk to each other as it flashed. 

Assuming that the noise limiter was installed because of complaints by the neighbours, you aren't doing the pub any favours by playing louder than they want.

David

On 29/09/2020 at 10:17, Happy Jack said:

At the risk of re-starting a tired old debate, it helps a lot if bands recognise that the current economics of running a pub do NOT stretch to paying for a band!

24 minutes ago, ubit said:

I disagree. Places round here would not pay for a band unless they could make their money on drink sales. If it was all social distancing etc. they wouldn’t fork out 

I would refer the Honorable Member to my previous answer ...

Are you talking about gigging (as I am) or about making money (as you seem to be)? I do understand that many musicians, including some here on Basschat, struggle to distinguish between the two activities.

Speaking purely for myself, I see this as a Venn diagram. Where Gigging and Money overlap is a sweet spot, but that overlap is neither obligatory nor some sort of absolute necessity.

• Like 2

I can see a good few pubs that decide to put bands on do the “pass a glass” thing, where the punters put in a couple of quid as agree, pubs themselves aren’t gonna have the funds to pay anymore. It can work pretty well, we were amazed at how much we got via this method in Bremen when we played there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can see a good few pubs that decide to put bands on do the “pass a glass” thing, where the punters put in a couple of quid as agree, pubs themselves aren’t gonna have the funds to pay anymore. It can work pretty well, we were amazed at how much we got via this method in Bremen when we played there.

Well it works for pub strippers 😮

2 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Assuming that the noise limiter was installed because of complaints by the neighbours, you aren't doing the pub any favours by playing louder than they want.

David

No neighbours. Just a phase of the local council being onanists. 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Depends on how large the glass is.

I remember playing out in the sticks at a local village pub several years ago, we played classic rock covers and always went down very well with the punters.

At the time I think our fee was £200, when we finished playing our last set the punters were calling out for more, we obliged and played a couple of extra songs, after these they were still calling for more and specifically wanted us to play Black Dog again, the landlord said if we played it, he would pass a glass around.

When we were packing away our gear,  the landlord paid us our £200 plus the contents of the glass which amounted to £50, that’s the most we ever got paid for one song.

• Like 1

We once got paid an extra £50 by the landlord to play the theme from Only fools and horses. We used to do it occasionally but had run out of time at this gig. Apparently it was the highlight of his night when we play it. This time it went on for about 5mins, with a sing along section in the middle. 

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

We once got paid an extra £50 by the landlord to play the theme from Only fools and horses. We used to do it occasionally but had run out of time at this gig. Apparently it was the highlight of his night when we play it. This time it went on for about 5mins, with a sing along section in the middle. 

We played a Hogmanay gig in a local bar years ago. We finished at the usual time of one o clock. The bouncer came up to us and said the boss says will you play another hour? He will pay extra. We said ok and played the agreed hour. We got an extra tenner each! 

I get that some people want to play for the love of it but I also believe that we should get reimbursed for entertaining the punters that are spending money and making the owner quite a lot of money. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

So he slapped two ponies in your pocket, well that’s inflation for you 😀

• Haha 2