Why become a member? ×

A thread for Basschatters who have an interest in HIFI

leroydiamond

24 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Fair play to you. It is a labour of love to take that on, not to mention patience. Not for me though. Time and patience are in short supply in my world. Moreover if I were to start, I would obsess with the task, looking into declicking etc. Life is just too short.

I'm the same, started off thinking of digitising my LP's but soon realised it was a very time consuming task, recording in real time then manually naming all the tracks, the vast majority of my LP's are on spotify, with my knackered hearing that's good enough for me.

It wasn't that bad, actually. 

I prioritised tracks and titles that weren't otherwise available. 

Once set up, it only takes as long as playing the LP, and modern DAW software would probably allow you to record an entire side and then cut & copy it into individual tracks, level-match the outputs and even remove some of the surface noise. 

4 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

How did you go about digitising your Vinyl. I have about 300 LP's but the thought of digitising them fills me with dread.

Used a phono to USB preamp (NAD, I think). Yes, it takes time and diligence. I prioritised the eclectic or rare stuff first. Then, when I listened to a vinyl LP I would digitise it while I enjoyed the experience. Glad it's done though.

• Like 1

I just added an Innuos Zen to my rack (situated on the bottom shelf). It is a wonderful piece of kit. It is a streamer and has a hard drive built in, with a CD loading slot at front. Not being the best with tech, this unit makes archiving CD's child's play.

The rest of my gear is a Primare CD32 player, Primare Pre60 preamp and A60 power, Primare NP5 streamer, Clearaudio concept turntable with Dynavector 10x5 cart and P75 phono pre. My speakers are System Audio Pandion 30's

I use a Power Inspired AG 1500 Power regenerator  to give me a steady 230v supply

It is likely that I will be moving on my Primare CD32 and NP5 streamer, as the Innuos Zen covers both applications.

20201005_140017.jpg

20201005_140031.jpg

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, leroydiamond said:

I just added an Innuos Zen to my rack (situated on the bottom shelf). It is a wonderful piece of kit. It is a streamer and has a hard drive built in, with a CD loading slot at front. Not being the best with tech, this unit makes archiving CD's child's play.

The rest of my gear is a Primare CD32 player, Primare Pre60 preamp and A60 power, Primare NP5 streamer, Clearaudio concept turntable with Dynavector 10x5 cart and P75 phono pre. My speakers are System Audio Pandion 30's

It is likely that I will be moving on my Primare CD32 and NP5 streamer, as the Innuos Zen covers both applications.

20201005_140017.jpg

20201005_140031.jpg

Interesting dampening system you have under your deck

10 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Interesting dampening system you have under your deck

It is an unnamed perspex  turntable support with a slab of granite on top. My floor is of the suspended timber variety, but I have bored holes in the floor, so that the legs of the rack are resting on the concrete underneath the floor to help with isolation. I use Auralex sub dudes under each speaker.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

Now that's dedication!

When my previous house was extended,  I had the original patio doors left in between the old and new sections of the house.

I figured that having the sources and amps in a different room would be a good way to reduce any kind of acoustic feedback. I was right. 

All I needed to do was drill a hole in the frame of the said patio doors. I chose to do so in the bottom corner beneath the fixed pane.

The doors were good but fairly old. Shouldn't be too hard,  being box section aluminum  right?

Wrong.Virtually solid. Solid Steel. I used six drill bits doing it. At least it worked. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Now that's dedication!

A quick and easy step to decouple the rack from the suspended floor. Also a necessary one, as when I moved in to this house 20 years ago, I had a Linn Sondek turntable which is spring suspended and walking across the floor was impossible, without the stylus hopping across the record. Took 15 minutes to remedy the situation. Just had to drill 3 circle holes in the floor, that were a tad bigger than the circumference of the legs of the rack..

20201006_083233.jpg

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

When my previous house was extended,  I had the original patio doors left in between the old and new sections of the house.

I figured that having the sources and amps in a different room would be a good way to reduce any kind of acoustic feedback. I was right. 

All I needed to do was drill a hole in the frame of the said patio doors. I chose to do so in the bottom corner beneath the fixed pane.

The doors were good but fairly old. Shouldn't be too hard,  being box section aluminum  right?

Wrong.Virtually solid. Solid Steel. I used six drill bits doing it. At least it worked. 

Now that is dedication!. Guess that means you having to  go to another room every time you change a CD etc?

• Like 2

I have a defunct Marantz 63 KI Signature CD deck, a world-beater in it's day. It died a few months ago. Marantz customer care is diabolical, they referred me to some depot in Blackpool, who didn't want to know because they found it impossible to get parts off Marantz. I suspect the laser has packed in. Calls to many local hi-fi shops have all expressed sympathy for the loss, "great machine", "a classic" etc. but were unable to advise further.

A guy my brother knows builds his own hi-fi so I'll be paying a visit with the deck one I'm safe to stop shielding. In the meantime I have a Pioneer CD-R deck I can use, not as good a sound, but better than many. 

4 hours ago, Big_Stu said:

I have a defunct Marantz 63 KI Signature CD deck, a world-beater in it's day. It died a few months ago. Marantz customer care is diabolical, they referred me to some depot in Blackpool, who didn't want to know because they found it impossible to get parts off Marantz. I suspect the laser has packed in. Calls to many local hi-fi shops have all expressed sympathy for the loss, "great machine", "a classic" etc. but were unable to advise further.

A guy my brother knows builds his own hi-fi so I'll be paying a visit with the deck one I'm safe to stop shielding. In the meantime I have a Pioneer CD-R deck I can use, not as good a sound, but better than many. 

I believe that all of the various cd-63 versions all used the same laser unit, the original Philips one is not available any more but there is a good alternative, there is a guide to swapping it here. 

https://www.hifigear.co.uk/blog/marantz-cd63se-laser-transport-mechanism-replacement/

Matt 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

I believe that all of the various cd-63 versions all used the same laser unit, the original Philips one is not available any more but there is a good alternative, there is a guide to swapping it here. 

https://www.hifigear.co.uk/blog/marantz-cd63se-laser-transport-mechanism-replacement/

Matt 

Brilliant!. Ye gotta love Basschat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

That is either the cleverest idea ever of the most stupid! 

There was an attempt at this a good few years ago, a thing called the Finial. Apparently sounded awful. Maybe latter-day processing improvements make this better.

What is wrong with your Naka? Belt sets are available for a decent price. If button lamps are dead, they should be changed because the output goes off without them.

You can try to find one unit with Dolby S. There were some, and they should represent the better half of the herd. Pioneer CT-93 was one of them.

• Like 1