Why become a member? ×

Lemmy’s earlier Rickenbacker

Spewy

Just for completeness, some of the neck-through 4000 basses (which changed to set-neck around ‘72) did indeed come already routed for a neck pickup, but some (as per the one I had), didn’t have any neck route. I still really regret getting rid of that as it cost me peanuts, relatively speaking, and would have been perfect to make into a copy of Lemmy’s first Ric. Stripped and with a T Bird pickup in the neck it would have been virtually identical. 

On 06/10/2020 at 19:18, Spewy said:

Well, it’s begun, I’ve picked up a 2020 4003 from the states at a decent price,(even with import duty). 
It’s going straight to Steve at Guitarlodge to have most of the clever work done ,new fretboard, headstock wings, skunk stripes etc.  I’ve sourced the graphics and am very much left to decide pickups, pick guards, truss rod cover, knobs etc. 
I guess the front strap ferrule was moved to the back?

I also could do with knowing what type of strap connection Lemmy used.

6C21A01E-F207-46AD-8B12-A8277124B12F.jpeg

Oh dear - that's not going to be right, as it's got the V2 bridge/tailpiece.

On 03/10/2020 at 11:22, 4000 said:

The BTLOTL bass is also bound. 
It’s quite possible it’s a 4001 with a new board. It’s something I’ve toyed with many times over the years because I like maple boards (although it could also be a fake).

8F3093B6-F1BB-4BD8-B553-0398FB8DFF39.jpeg

The discerning amongst you will notice that the bass has an extra fret; it's likely that's why the fretboard was replaced.

FYI, a slightly off-track sidebar, to show some of the changes to Rics over the years and also some copies to indicate suitability for a project like this.

Here's my selection of Rics, spanning 5 decades; the blue '78 4001 3rd from the left is probably the nearest to his; you can see the horns are significantly wider.

Z28qtbA.jpg

Here also are 6 fakers (well, 7 if you include the Kay hiding behind the sofa).

BhcQjUI.jpg

The leftmost is a 70s Japanese CMI with thru-neck, the Richthofen is a Retrovibe with Seymour Duncan pickups fitted, the blue, cream, and burgundy ones are barebones Chinese projects in various states off progress, and finally there's the Rickenberger, which is just something I fancied doing.

Of those fakers, only the vintage CMI would be suitable for a Lemmy, as the others have the wrong bridge and/or wrong scale length and/or wrong treble pickup position (the vintage Hondo II models also have that).

Actually, if you place the CMI and the '78 Ric side-by-side, they are really quite similar.

9yr92nF.jpg

(I may be converting the CMI to a single-pickup 4000...)

On 23/10/2020 at 17:53, Spewy said:

I have sourced the knobs, however as I don’t have the bass to hand it’s quite hard to work out the sizes. They come is four sizes.

1. 1 1/8” Top 1 1/2” skirt

2 1 1/8” Top 1 3/4” skirt

3. 1 3/8” top 1 1 3/4” skirt

4. Top size not shown 2.06” skirt

I think this is the correct chicken head too if the white stripe is removed 

23853FD4-7ACF-4BBE-B7E8-2527F736F220.jpeg

C64E0C8B-644F-46C0-A9B2-45EC0B70247D.jpeg

I've got some of them.. PM me and I'll send you one.. As in the chicken-head

Edited by Billy Apple

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It’s beginning to come together..or apart depending on your point of view . Fretboard is now maple, the headstock wings have been shaped as a test before being changed for maple too. The scratch plate and truss rod is sorted in stainless and the neck pick-up sorted. Got all the knobs , switches etc and the graphics. 

Steve at Guitarlodge is doing all the work and it’s all up to his exacting standards!

8772D99B-FF31-4B76-91F7-C697AE25970B.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...