Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK

Bobo_08

3 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Sounds like the Entwhistle pickups are indeed a more modern flavour. 

They're certainly loud. Scary loud tbh.

When I A/B'd them against Duncan QP's , the mixer showed a huge jump in output.

Duncan QP

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

Entwistle Neos

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

BTW. That's same bass, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings.

Edited by kodiakblair
Clarify
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have a soft spot for Kent Armstrong P Bass pups, but honestly I'm so lucky that I really like the HP pick ups and don't want to change them

The Kent Armstrong pickups are great.
Not tried the Entwistle pickups though. They look intruiging.

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I have a soft spot for Kent Armstrong P Bass pups, but honestly I'm so lucky that I really like the HP pick ups and don't want to change them

I'm with you there Stew.

Last week I was asked to put an Entwistle neo in a mate's PB-20, I think it's overkill.  I much prefer how Alan just went with a standard wire count and stronger magnet to boost the output as opposed to SD going with a higher wire count, and the resulting change in tone, for their boost.

Entwistles can be a bit overpowering but that's why we have a vol pot 😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

They're certainly loud. Scary loud tbh.

When I A/B'd them against Duncan QP's , the mixer showed a huge jump in output.

Duncan QP

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

Entwistle Neos

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

BTW. That's same bass, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings.

Yikes!!!! 

Ive been thinking of doing an A/B like this with a. High mass bridge, but also taking the waveforms and doing an fft to look if the frequency content has changed, i.e if there are more harmonics or more fundamental present. 

17 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Pickguard arrived today! Very happy. 

Well done @kodiakblair and well done to your guy. Fantastic job. 

Thanks for the update. 

Brian's too busy to spend time on bass forums so I'll let him know 🙂

My mate ordered a plain black for his stealth mode PB-20, will be the weekend before I get around to fitting it.

Need to talk him out of the Entwistle first 🤣

So

On 29/03/2021 at 08:14, Bobo_08 said:

Yikes!!!! 

Ive been thinking of doing an A/B like this with a. High mass bridge, but also taking the waveforms and doing an fft to look if the frequency content has changed, i.e if there are more harmonics or more fundamental present. 

So I had a quick play around with this idea tonight. I have been able to capture and perform a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) on a open A note which has a frequency of 55Hz. As you can imagine there are harmonics included, notably the second and third harmonics at 110Hz and 165Hz respectively. This was captured using my HB PB-20 with standard bridge.. Please see attached image files below. 

I plan to do this for all strings at several intervals above and below the 12th fret and see if there is any change in the length of the note and the frequency contents. I will create a new thread for this somewhere more relevant in due course. 

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 09.15.00.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 09.14.42.jpg

Edited by Bobo_08

Ok, so I couldn't wait and after dinner decides to fit my new pickguard. Looks awesome but as you can imagine verynwasily smudged but also scratches pretty easily too... Have to see how that works out in the long run. 

I also fitted the @KiOgon circuit/loom, the difference it makes is significant, I'd suggest fitting one of these before investing in pickups. Note KiOgon pot shafts measured 9.5mm, so I slightly larger than the HB original pots which meant I had to drill the holes out a little with a 10mm drill bit. Was a bit rough because I think you need a really high speed with this material to avoid taking chunks out, but it worked out fine. Thanks to KiOgon, apologies it took me 6 months to actually fit your nice 0.1uf kit ☺️.

Just for info measured my standard HB pickups at 7.3k Ohms, significantly lower than compared to the toneriders which are 10.6k

Also treated it too a quick fret polish and some lemon oil and a string change. 

Next job is Fender high mass bridge... I'm going for the Phil Lynott look if you hadn't already guessed. ☺️

IMG_20210402_232852097.jpg

• Like 4

It's the weekend and my Fender high mass bridge and chrome knobs just turned up from Thomann 🙏.... Can't wait to get the bridge fitted to my PB20-SBK, but first I need to finish of my matlab script for taking those samples with the standard bridge and then the high mass bridge... geek fest!

Bon week-end a tous!

• 4 months later...