Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK

Bobo_08

9 hours ago, mcnach said:

Please let us know when he tells you that he's got the PB-20 one :) 

8 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Absolutely, I will let you know when he has been in touch 👍

I've got it here, already to drop off tomorrow  🙂 

However there may be slight hiccup, Brian messaged me half hour back saying he got his Covid jag today and is feeling OK. He'll message me again in the morning if that's still the case. If he's floored I can always drop them off at his house 👍

Bonus bit of good news.

The same PG fits the standard black and the stealth black 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kodiakblair,

Thanks for the update, I hope Brian isn't too affected by his Covid jab. 🤞Mother in law had hers a few weeks back and felt a bit rough for a couple of days afterwards, but then was fine. Good to  know the pickguards are the same for both colours 🙏

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

No word so far this morning.

Not an encouraging sign when you know the fella does 12 to 14 hour shifts 7 days a week. 

I hope he's ok. I don't know him personally but we exchanged a few messages when I wanted my MB-5 ones and he came across as a good guy. 

There was a small imperfection in one of mine (on the material used itself, not on the duplication/cutting) and he sent me another one straight away without even waiting for me to send him pictures or anything.

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

No word so far this morning.

Not an encouraging sign when you know the fella does 12 to 14 hour shifts 7 days a week. 

Sounds like he deserve a good few days rest. 🙏 Hopefully he's not feel to rough with the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Good news folks.

About half hour after my last reply Brian got in touch. PB-20 plate was handed over at 13.30 this afternoon.

Brilliant, Big thanks to you! I will be placing my order with Brian in the next day or so 🤞 Glad Brian is fine. 

• Like 2

My PB20 turned up today. To be honest I wasn't expecting much but it's completely blown me away. I love the matt black paint just but everything about it - the weight, the paint job and even the sound is good - but when you consider the price it really is great. The hardware (tuners and bridge aren't the best) is adequate and is the only slight downside to this absolute bargain of a bass.

On 24/03/2021 at 13:57, TheGreek said:

I actually won this on eBay the other day so I'll be hot-rodding this with the following:

Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pound Pickup (£60)
New red pearl scratchplate (£11)
Wilkinson tuners (£30
Gotoh bridge (£30)

So effectively I'll be getting an above average awesome sounding P-bass for under £200

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

My PB20 turned up today. To be honest I wasn't expecting much but it's completely blown me away. I love the matt black paint just but everything about it - the weight, the paint job and even the sound is good - but when you consider the price it really is great. The hardware (tuners and bridge aren't the best) is adequate and is the only slight downside to this absolute bargain of a bass.

I actually won this on eBay the other day so I'll be hot-rodding this with the following:

Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pound Pickup (£60)
New red pearl scratchplate (£11)
Wilkinson tuners (£30
Gotoh bridge (£30)

So effectively I'll be getting an above average awesome sounding P-bass for under £200

I plan to change the pick ups, a bad donkey bridge and change the tuners too... The originals weighed in at 83g each.. which isn't horrendous but is on the heavy side.

11 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

Big difference.

Big improvement.

wasn’t bad to start with but fantastic now.

Cool, going to replace mine soon. I was wondering how hot the originals are? Did you by any chance measure their resistance when you removed them?

On 27 September 2020 at 18:37, hooky_lowdown said:

Wilkinson alnico if you want a vintage tone. Entwhistle if you want a more modern sound.

I tried Entwistles once. Very good, huge powerful sound but unfortunately nothing like a classic P bass sound we all know and love. Totally up to you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LITTLEWING said:

I tried Entwistles once. Very good, huge powerful sound but unfortunately nothing like a classic P bass sound we all know and love. Totally up to you. 

Sounds like the Entwhistle pickups are indeed a more modern flavour. 

2 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Sounds like the Entwhistle pickups are indeed a more modern flavour. 

The neodymium ones certainly, I'm not sure about the other (ceramic?) ones. I like the neodymium ones, but they're not the best match for 'vintagey' traditional Precision sounds.

• Like 1

I understand that neodymium magnets give that modern 'hifi' like tones and Alnico V more classic tones. However when all said and done most of it is in the fingers.... I know this because my instruments always sound heaps better in someone else's hands 🤣