Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK

Bobo_08

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If you've played any standard P bass made in the last 20-25 years, it'll feel like that, that's basically a modern C neck. 50s and 70s style bass necks will be chunky. No P bass necks are slim - jazz necks are slim. 😀

Thanks, you just saved me 100 quid :)

thought that might be the case

On 30/09/2020 at 09:41, hooky_lowdown said:

If you've played any standard P bass made in the last 20-25 years, it'll feel like that, that's basically a modern C neck. 50s and 70s style bass necks will be chunky. No P bass necks are slim - jazz necks are slim. 😀

This was my concern when buying it, but have to say i'm pleased, I don't find it too chunky at all, I was a little concerned over this aspect as my first bass is a Yamaha TRBX304 that has a really slim neck, but the HB is still perfectly playable for me... I think the satin painted neck also helps a bit too. 

On 29/09/2020 at 00:16, stewblack said:

I have the exact model. Apart from the Kiogon tone switch I have to say I've left it as it arrived. 

It came set up how I like it, and sounded superb. 

One of the nicest finishes on any bass I've seen. 

Hi Stew, 

Did you feel the need to improve the shielding at all? I am experiencing some fair amount of hum using my spectra drive when touching the strings. I don't have an amp with me at the moment, in order to tell if it's down to the spectra drive or the guitar. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

This was my concern when buying it, but have to say i'm pleased, I don't find it too chunky at all, I was a little concerned over this aspect as my first bass is a Yamaha TRBX304 that has a really slim neck, but the HB is still perfectly playable for me... I think the satin painted neck also helps a bit too. 

Yeah to be fair I think theres a fair bit of variation in playability on p necks over 25 years.

Suppose it depends on the player preference.

Plus its HBs take on a P.

Edited by horrorshowbass

26 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Yeah to be fair I think theres a fair bit of variation in playability on p necks over 25 years.

Suppose it depends on the player preference.

Plus its HBs take on a P.

Yea exactly... There are many variables as you say, manufacturers interpretation plus individual subjectivity being the obvious ones.. Thomann have a nice returns policy... Free return postage.

I returned a Mustang CV earlier this year.. poor QC sadly... Over spray on the neck a significant scratch on the fretboard etc.. but they took it back no problems.

7 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Hi Stew, 

Did you feel the need to improve the shielding at all? I am experiencing some fair amount of hum using my spectra drive when touching the strings. I don't have an amp with me at the moment, in order to tell if it's down to the spectra drive or the guitar. 

Cheers

Hi mate, I haven't noticed it, and it's something I'm quite sensetive  to. 

If it stops with you touching strings doesn't that suggest an earth problem? 

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Hi mate, I haven't noticed it, and it's something I'm quite sensetive  to. 

If it stops with you touching strings doesn't that suggest an earth problem? 

It could be the fact that the spectra drive isn't actually earthed. It's just a two pin plug on the power supply....🤔

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

There's a video on youtube about these basses humming, The earth wire under the bridge isn't earthed because of the black paint on the bridge.

The bloke took off the bridge and ran the earth wire into one of the bridge screw holes and cured it.

Or scratch some of the paint off. Simple.

• Like 4

Thanks for the tips on the humming issue guys, i've not had chance to check it out any further yet. However I will be doing soon as I have one of Kiogan's nice looms to drop in there. 

I agree the stock pickups have low output, I think I will treat it to some Wilkinsons as previously mentioned. 

Howver i have a problem, that two of the tuners are knackerd, as the metal gear is too soft for the job, Thomann are sending me a couple of replacements out under warranty, but to be honest I might well just replace them with some Wilkinson tuners. 

9 hours ago, Andermtc said:

Had one delivered yesterday very happy with it, especially for the money.

PXL_20201024_100608465.jpg

I pulled removed the old strings they didn't feel great, and I gave the fretboard a good clean, as too had a white coloured residue on mine.. I will give the frets a quick polish when I next remove the strings. As I mentioned be aware potential problems with the machine heads slipping and chewing up the gear. 

8 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

To be fair I really want a fretless! Any recommendations for cheap and cheerful one @lownote12?

There are more lined offerings than unlined. Lined are more conventional and easier to convert to. Unlined is more fun, more challenging, more different. And not as difficult as you might think. Revelation do an unlined P bass for under 200 notes new. It’s my main gigging axe. Lovely to play and great in the mix. 

17 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Did you lubricate the tuners? A tiny bit of vaseline is all that's needed. All cheap tuners don't come lubricated, so metal rubs on metal. Simple fix. 😀

Hi Hooky, 

Indeed I took your advice applied a bit of vaseline with a cotton bud and wound them back and forth a bit and that when I had the issue... The metal is too soft for the purpose. 

Edited by Bobo_08

15 hours ago, PlasmaZombies said:

Interested in picking up one of these to play about on. Do you reckon the matte finish will go shiny with play wear? Stunning looking basses for the price! 

Difficult to say.. I guess only time will tell... Maybe after a decade of frequent solid playing