Jump to content
Baloney Balderdash

What Kind of Pedal Currently Not on the Market Would You Love to See in Production?

Recommended Posts

For me it would be a - bass to guitar emulator - version of something like the EHX BASS9 - guitar to bass emulator - pedal.

 

Here's a demo of the EHX BASS9, in case you are not familiar with it :

 

Currently I use a TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini as an always on effect, to emulate that 8 string "octave" bass or fake unison (just an octave higher of course) guitar like effect, and while I can get pretty close with the default polyphic octaver setting and some quite specific EQ'ing, via the Toneprint editor, of the dry input signal that is fed to the octave engine, as well as the octave up output signal, something that deliberately seeks to emulate a realistic guitar or 8 string bass effect for bass would be great, and I would definitely buy such a pedal if it came available on the market.

 

 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to see Tech21s Q-Strip pedal with gain/drive and a tuner on it. Or their Geddy Lee pedal with a DI and tuner on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly whichever with a built-in X-over instead of a bland blend. I want my lowest bass to be plain bass. Higher end can be aff... effected. Especially the family of OD/fuzz/dist units. Most of the current ones sound funny instead of fuzzy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clean keyboard bass. No dirt or squelch, and no midi.

For bass such as in this:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Clean keyboard bass. No dirt or squelch, and no midi.

For bass such as in this:

 

Agreed. Synth sounds for bass are just far too wacky. The only way I can describe what I want is a smooth synth sound like in so much 80s music. Yes, I know I could buy a synth and learn how to programme it and play it, but I really don't want to. I want to get those sounds out of a bass guitar. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Agreed. Synth sounds for bass are just far too wacky. 

It's actually pretty easy to get great synth sounds on bass, just use a combination of octave, drive, an envelope that is low pass and has little movement and some modulation like chorus. That way you actually get basically what a synth bass is. The synth pedals and most envelope filters are just for the bedroom or instagram and painfully unmusical. 

Although I wouldn't be as comfortable playing synth bass on a bass guitar if it weren't for learning synth bass so maybe take a couple minutes just to get an idea of how they work. And go search for Ian Allison on youtube for the expert. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought a pedal a bit like TV autoque where you download the tabs to the pedal and they scroll along would be a great learning tool I know you can look on a pc but that's not practical sometimes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 16:17, MacDaddy said:

Clean keyboard bass. No dirt or squelch, and no midi.

For bass such as in this:

 

Pretty sure the FI could do that. Doesn’t sound like an FM patch so should be doable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Pretty sure the FI could do that. Doesn’t sound like an FM patch so should be doable. 

Which preset would be a starting point?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stereo Q/Strip with presets. I’d buy it in a heartbeat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A preamp-DI which sounds like I've plugged into an Ashdown Little Bastard (or "CTM-30", as they call them these days). I feel like we have quite enough amp sim pedals designed to replicate SVTs and other "classic" valve amps, but if Joyo can do convincing Fender, Marshall and Mesa sims for guitarists on a budget, presumably somebody could capture a few more contemporary bass amp designs without breaking the bank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 22:48, EliasMooseblaster said:

A preamp-DI which sounds like I've plugged into an Ashdown Little Bastard (or "CTM-30", as they call them these days). I feel like we have quite enough amp sim pedals designed to replicate SVTs and other "classic" valve amps, but if Joyo can do convincing Fender, Marshall and Mesa sims for guitarists on a budget, presumably somebody could capture a few more contemporary bass amp designs without breaking the bank?

You know Ashdown does in fact make a tube preamp pedal, I am quite sure with a DI too, right?

Though no cab sim, as far as I know, and not exactly anywhere near a budget price tag.

I'd personally like a Trace Elliot-esque preamp.

Of course I could just get the new Trace Elliot Transit B preamp, or cheaper, but with less tweaking options, a full functioning, but tiny, 200W amp, namely the Trace Elliot ELF amp head, and use it as a preamp, if that was what I wanted, it actually being both smaller and lighter than the Transit B preamp.

Both supposed to get really close to the classic Trace Elliot tone, but again neither exactly being budget pieces of gear.

 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You know Ashdown does make a tube preamp pedal, I am quite sure with a DI too?

Though no cab sim, as far as I know, and not exactly anywhere near budget.

You are quite correct: I'd completely forgotten about the OriginAL! Certainly looks the business...though it does indeed cost almost as much as I paid for my LB30 in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, ive got one. A Darkglass pedal that is worth the asking price 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Which preset would be a starting point?

 

Not sure yet. To be honest, might be easier to do from scratch. Do you know of an isolated bass part? Would be easier to work from. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Stereo Q/Strip with presets. I’d buy it in a heartbeat. 

Oooh, actually, a rack Q-Strip would do me nicely, but that sort of thing is very out of vouge, and Tech 21 aren't going to be making one.

I wouldn't mind a four-band parametric EQ with variable high- and low-pass filters and an effects loop (for the comp) with each band switchable to be pre/post loop. That said, I think Source Audio do something which would cover all that and more. So why am I posting? Beyond boredom and booze? Dunno.

OK, four band parametric with variable HPF and LPF with a fully featured comp thrown in, with pre/post comp for each band. There you go.

And maybe I should be in the drunk thread. Night night, good folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Oooh, actually, a rack Q-Strip would do me nicely, but that sort of thing is very out of vouge, and Tech 21 aren't going to be making one.

I wouldn't mind a four-band parametric EQ with variable high- and low-pass filters and an effects loop (for the comp) with each band switchable to be pre/post loop. That said, I think Source Audio do something which would cover all that and more. So why am I posting? Beyond boredom and booze? Dunno.

OK, four band parametric with variable HPF and LPF with a fully featured comp thrown in, with pre/post comp for each band. There you go.

And maybe I should be in the drunk thread. Night night, good folks.

Yes, SA do a very nice EQ2 that has a hell of a lot of options plus, but not the loops. 

I tihnk you are basically describing the Helix Stomp, Global HPF, LFP, up to 6 (soon to be 8 )  blocks that could all be Parametric EQ’s, each also having variable HPF/LPF, and you can place the effects loop anywhere in the chain. In theory you could have each block just acting like one band of EQ, so the FX loop can be placed anywhere between any of the bands.

Edited by dave_bass5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes, SA do a very nice EQ2 that has a hell of a lot of options plus, but not the loops. 

I tihnk you are basically describing the Helix Stomp, Global HPF, LFP, up to 6 (soon to be 8 )  blocks that could all be Parametric EQ’s, each also having variable HPF/LPF, and you can place the effects loop anywhere in the chain. In theory you could have each block just acting like one band of EQ, so the FX loop can be placed anywhere between any of the bands.

I had it in my head that the EQ2 had a loop- perhaps the 'stereo' channels can be run in series? I'll check that out! Essentially I'd want to do some subtractive EQ before compression, then be free to make EQ adjustments after the comp too.

Good point about the Helix, I have had my eye on one! If they are increasing the block count that would be good for some of the fiddlier signal paths I'd like to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A synth pedal with apeggiator/sequencer with silent steps, MIDI port and envelope filter per step.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes, SA do a very nice EQ2 that has a hell of a lot of options plus, but not the loops.

It does have a single loop. You can have two separate EQ stages at any point in your signal chain. It’s very powerful. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

A synth pedal with apeggiator/sequencer with silent steps, MIDI port and envelope filter per step.

You can easily sequence the future impact with a cheap sequencer or a daw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It does have a single loop. You can have two separate EQ stages at any point in your signal chain. It’s very powerful. 

That’s really cool. If I didn’t have the Stomp I’d be getting that (almost did anyway last month). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...