Why become a member? ×

What Kind of Pedal Currently Not on the Market Would You Love to See in Production?

Baloney Balderdash

On 10/10/2020 at 21:51, Baloney Balderdash said:

You know Ashdown does in fact make a tube preamp pedal, I am quite sure with a DI too, right?

Though no cab sim, as far as I know, and not exactly anywhere near a budget price tag.

On 10/10/2020 at 21:56, EliasMooseblaster said:

You are quite correct: I'd completely forgotten about the OriginAL! Certainly looks the business...though it does indeed cost almost as much as I paid for my LB30 in the first place.

The OriginAL pre amp does have a valve but its only on the drive section, if you are playing without the drive ('showtime' its called) then there is no valve in the circuit.  So its not a valve preamp in the way that a Noble pre amp is.

On 11/10/2020 at 20:42, Misdee said:

I'd like to see a preamp pedal that actually sounds like an Ampeg SVT, with  some semblance of the variable midrange frequency control. 

I'd just like a footswitch to toggle the "drive" section of my SVP-Pro! I'd have said that the "mute" doesn't need to be footswitchable.. I can walk to the amp for that..

20 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I'd just like a footswitch to toggle the "drive" section of my SVP-Pro! I'd have said that the "mute" doesn't need to be footswitchable.. I can walk to the amp for that..

That should be relatively easy to do, just toggle the potentiometer in and out of the circuit with a fixed ‘no drive’ resistor across the other half of the switch...

Been thinking about effects a lot recently. I'd like a preamp/ EQ pedal with Di out and a mute-able tuner and basic compressor. That would cover all the essentials for most before you then add the drives, chorus etc of your choice... 

Generally though I want pedals to react the same to active and passive basses (maybe that requires some kind of buffer in the signal chain?) and I don't want my pedals to give a massive speaker pop when I engage them. 

I own a very good IMO at least, multi fx, but just don't have the time required to reprogramme it, learn all its quirks and get it set up for a gig. I'd much rather have 4 or 5 individual pedals that can actually behave together but I don't even know if that's possible! Guess I need to get some time invested back in to the Boss manual... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

...I want pedals to react the same to active and passive basses (maybe that requires some kind of buffer in the signal chain?) and I don't want my pedals to give a massive speaker pop when I engage them.

It is far easier to reach low impedance with a buffer, than try to raise the Z of an active bass. (Simple) Buffers do not cost a lot:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_spark_booster.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_spark_mini_booster.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_bonafide_buffer.htm

A noise gate or practically any pedal that is on or has a buffer in bypass mode does the same.

Loud pop may be related to the pedal power source. If there is a possibility to try battery power, check every pedal one by one with a battery. This may lead you to the tracks of the speaker pop issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Been thinking about effects a lot recently. I'd like a preamp/ EQ pedal with Di out and a mute-able tuner and basic compressor. That would cover all the essentials for most before you then add the drives, chorus etc of your choice...

I think there are a few which are almost there - I have a Hotone B-Station, for example, which gives you a preamp, 3-band EQ, simple (one-knob) compressor and DI out, but alas no tuner (though it does also have a half-decent and blendable drive circuit).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I would like a tremolo pedal where you can set the tempo via "tempo tap", similar to what is available on some delay pedals.

Line 6 “tone core” tap trem, about 10-15 years ago - nice sound, ugly as sin.

C4BA64C5-8801-4F0F-959D-EF9379712138.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 20:16, EliasMooseblaster said:

I think there are a few which are almost there - I have a Hotone B-Station, for example, which gives you a preamp, 3-band EQ, simple (one-knob) compressor and DI out, but alas no tuner (though it does also have a half-decent and blendable drive circuit).

Thanks, that looks like a budget EHX Battalion. I also saw Thomann had an Eden unit for sale at 62 down from 180 that looks incredible. Also has DI out and effects loop. Was going to buy but I took on board some advice and spent some time with my multi to try to get use able synth sounds so the multi stays put... For now! 

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 10:11, Stingray64 said:

It's actually pretty easy to get great synth sounds on bass, just use a combination of octave, drive, an envelope that is low pass and has little movement and some modulation like chorus. That way you actually get basically what a synth bass is. The synth pedals and most envelope filters are just for the bedroom or instagram and painfully unmusical. 

Although I wouldn't be as comfortable playing synth bass on a bass guitar if it weren't for learning synth bass so maybe take a couple minutes just to get an idea of how they work. And go search for Ian Allison on youtube for the expert. 

I took all this advice on board, the Ian Allison video I found was great. I considered buying up all the individual pedals but actually it didn't take me long to edit a fuzz preset on my multi in to a few good useful synth sounds by adding Octave, chorus, and autowah and dialling back the fuzz a lot. 

Thank you! You've helped open my eyes and save money... And save lots of Thomann packages arrive for my Mrs to get suspicious about! 

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Thank you! You've helped open my eyes and save money... And save lots of Thomann packages arrive for my Mrs to get suspicious about! 

You're very welcome! And ye I use an mxr bass octave deluxe and then my hx stomp for almost all of my synth sounds. If you want any more advice I'm a huge nerd for synth sounds on bass and synth in every style haha. 

Just now, Stingray64 said:

You're very welcome! And ye I use an mxr bass octave deluxe and then my hx stomp for almost all of my synth sounds. If you want any more advice I'm a huge nerd for synth sounds on bass and synth in every style haha. 

Well now you mention it I have just started an 80s band so.... 

I would like a pedal which would make a fretless bass sound like a double bass. Am I the only person to raise this or have I missed it?  I am guessing asking for a pedal to do this on a fretted bass is impossible. 

Something to add a little adjustable chorus That takes you a long way there and you don't need much

Am guessing it would need some light reverb to simulate the resonance of an acoustic instrument

Maybe some adjustable and refined compression rather than have to use a mute.

Maybe a bass boost to enhance or reduce that special acoustic sound from flat strings on a double bass. I do and would still use D 'Addario flat-wounds so this would be for fine tuning.

We have been looking for such a thing for years so I throw down the challenge to pedal makers. Instead of flangers, envelope filters and complex reverb, take on something really useful purposeful and challenging instead of making bass versions of guitar effects - I dare ya!

Love

Pete

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leonidaslost said:

I would like a pedal which would make a fretless bass sound like a double bass. Am I the only person to raise this or have I missed it?  I am guessing asking for a pedal to do this on a fretted bass is impossible. 

Something to add a little adjustable chorus That takes you a long way there and you don't need much

Am guessing it would need some light reverb to simulate the resonance of an acoustic instrument

Maybe some adjustable and refined compression rather than have to use a mute.

Maybe a bass boost to enhance or reduce that special acoustic sound from flat strings on a double bass. I do and would still use D 'Addario flat-wounds so this would be for fine tuning.

We have been looking for such a thing for years so I throw down the challenge to pedal makers. Instead of flangers, envelope filters and complex reverb, take on something really useful purposeful and challenging instead of making bass versions of guitar effects - I dare ya!

Love

Pete

Try using a volume 'expression' pedal to soften the attack of each note.

On 30/10/2020 at 13:14, Stub Mandrel said:

Try using a volume 'expression' pedal to soften the attack of each note.

@Leonidaslost

Or a compressor with a really short attack time and a relatively fast release time, with a medium kind of ratio setting, a hard knee, and just the right threshold level, for the same effect (I would think at least, but I am not exactly a compression expert, so might have gotten something wrong regarding the details of the specific settings needed, no doubt a compressor with controls of the parameters mentioned would be able to do it though).

A multiband compressor with the option of customizing the frequency reach of the different bands and the compression of each individual band would be ideal, like for instance the 3 band TC Electronic SpectraComp bass compressor, to have the above mentioned compression mainly affect the treble and high mid frequency spectrum, like everything above about 600 or 700 Hz or so, to allow for the thudy kind of attack of a double bass to come through.

Then add a fairly subtle detune effect blended with the clean signal to that, finish off with a subtle touch of room reverb, and I would think it's about as close as you can get using common effects to emulate it.

Though this digital NUX Optima Air pedal can load impulse response files from acoustic guitars, that way emulating the characteristics of different acoustic guitar models, and there's a chance that it might work with a double bass as well if you can just find a double bass IR and load into it, or know how to capture it yourself (Thomann lists it at 166£.) :

1fXqPU_0OokKPsa00?type=thumbnail_800x600

Another option would be to get the fretless Harley Benton Beatbass FL VS Vintage Series (Violin/Beatles bass) that Thomann offers for just 152£ :

p1anda9h9q1ei5pfd12v1gmere73.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass_fl_vs_vintage_series.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

I bet that fretless violin bass would be capable of getting you pretty close to a double bass kind of tone even without use of additional effects.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash