Why become a member? ×

What Kind of Pedal Currently Not on the Market Would You Love to See in Production?

Baloney Balderdash

For me it would be a - bass to guitar emulator - version of something like the EHX BASS9 - guitar to bass emulator - pedal.

Here's a demo of the EHX BASS9, in case you are not familiar with it :

Currently I use a TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini as an always on effect, to emulate that 8 string "octave" bass or fake unison (just an octave higher of course) guitar like effect, and while I can get pretty close with the default polyphic octaver setting and some quite specific EQ'ing, via the Toneprint editor, of the dry input signal that is fed to the octave engine, as well as the octave up output signal, something that deliberately seeks to emulate a realistic guitar or 8 string bass effect for bass would be great, and I would definitely buy such a pedal if it came available on the market.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Clean keyboard bass. No dirt or squelch, and no midi.

For bass such as in this:

Agreed. Synth sounds for bass are just far too wacky. The only way I can describe what I want is a smooth synth sound like in so much 80s music. Yes, I know I could buy a synth and learn how to programme it and play it, but I really don't want to. I want to get those sounds out of a bass guitar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Agreed. Synth sounds for bass are just far too wacky. 

It's actually pretty easy to get great synth sounds on bass, just use a combination of octave, drive, an envelope that is low pass and has little movement and some modulation like chorus. That way you actually get basically what a synth bass is. The synth pedals and most envelope filters are just for the bedroom or instagram and painfully unmusical. 

Although I wouldn't be as comfortable playing synth bass on a bass guitar if it weren't for learning synth bass so maybe take a couple minutes just to get an idea of how they work. And go search for Ian Allison on youtube for the expert. 

• Like 1

A preamp-DI which sounds like I've plugged into an Ashdown Little Bastard (or "CTM-30", as they call them these days). I feel like we have quite enough amp sim pedals designed to replicate SVTs and other "classic" valve amps, but if Joyo can do convincing Fender, Marshall and Mesa sims for guitarists on a budget, presumably somebody could capture a few more contemporary bass amp designs without breaking the bank?

On 10/10/2020 at 22:48, EliasMooseblaster said:

A preamp-DI which sounds like I've plugged into an Ashdown Little Bastard (or "CTM-30", as they call them these days). I feel like we have quite enough amp sim pedals designed to replicate SVTs and other "classic" valve amps, but if Joyo can do convincing Fender, Marshall and Mesa sims for guitarists on a budget, presumably somebody could capture a few more contemporary bass amp designs without breaking the bank?

You know Ashdown does in fact make a tube preamp pedal, I am quite sure with a DI too, right?

Though no cab sim, as far as I know, and not exactly anywhere near a budget price tag.

I'd personally like a Trace Elliot-esque preamp.

Of course I could just get the new Trace Elliot Transit B preamp, or cheaper, but with less tweaking options, a full functioning, but tiny, 200W amp, namely the Trace Elliot ELF amp head, and use it as a preamp, if that was what I wanted, it actually being both smaller and lighter than the Transit B preamp.

Both supposed to get really close to the classic Trace Elliot tone, but again neither exactly being budget pieces of gear.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You know Ashdown does make a tube preamp pedal, I am quite sure with a DI too?

Though no cab sim, as far as I know, and not exactly anywhere near budget.

You are quite correct: I'd completely forgotten about the OriginAL! Certainly looks the business...though it does indeed cost almost as much as I paid for my LB30 in the first place.

11 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Oooh, actually, a rack Q-Strip would do me nicely, but that sort of thing is very out of vouge, and Tech 21 aren't going to be making one.

I wouldn't mind a four-band parametric EQ with variable high- and low-pass filters and an effects loop (for the comp) with each band switchable to be pre/post loop. That said, I think Source Audio do something which would cover all that and more. So why am I posting? Beyond boredom and booze? Dunno.

OK, four band parametric with variable HPF and LPF with a fully featured comp thrown in, with pre/post comp for each band. There you go.

And maybe I should be in the drunk thread. Night night, good folks.

Yes, SA do a very nice EQ2 that has a hell of a lot of options plus, but not the loops. 

I tihnk you are basically describing the Helix Stomp, Global HPF, LFP, up to 6 (soon to be 8 )  blocks that could all be Parametric EQ’s, each also having variable HPF/LPF, and you can place the effects loop anywhere in the chain. In theory you could have each block just acting like one band of EQ, so the FX loop can be placed anywhere between any of the bands.

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes, SA do a very nice EQ2 that has a hell of a lot of options plus, but not the loops.

It does have a single loop. You can have two separate EQ stages at any point in your signal chain. It’s very powerful. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1