Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco to Bass VI...possible?!

donslow

I’ve a bee in my bonnet, I’m after a project.

for a while now I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a bass vi. Diminishing bass fund pot has so far refused to let me spend out on one.

got me thinking, could you convert a bronco bass to a bass vi?

On paper, it would seem that, new headstock holes, new bridge, new nut and you’d be set?! Surely not THAT easy?

Welcome any thoughts/criticisms/concerns/technical advice?!

56 minutes ago, donslow said:

Well spotted sir, I wonder if it would be too much of a squeeze :-s 

Well, if you consider that most electric 6 strings (eg Les Paul, Stratocaster, Telecaster) with standard guitar strings are 42 or 43mm, I think yes...certainly for my fingers.

The only difference is that presumably bottom end chords aren't a big need on a bass?

16 hours ago, donslow said:

I’ve a bee in my bonnet, I’m after a project.

for a while now I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a bass vi. Diminishing bass fund pot has so far refused to let me spend out on one.

got me thinking, could you convert a bronco bass to a bass vi?

On paper, it would seem that, new headstock holes, new bridge, new nut and you’d be set?! Surely not THAT easy?

Welcome any thoughts/criticisms/concerns/technical advice?!

IMO even 42mm is too narrow to comfortably accommodate the thicker strings of a Bass VI. Have a read of my thread about Bass VIs: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/325732-alternatives-to-the-squier-bass-vi/?tab=comments#comment-3534563 which gives plenty of alternatives along with their pros and cons.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IMO even 42mm is too narrow to comfortably accommodate the thicker strings of a Bass VI. Have a read of my thread about Bass VIs: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/325732-alternatives-to-the-squier-bass-vi/?tab=comments#comment-3534563 which gives plenty of alternatives along with their pros and cons.

Will have a darn good read of that once the rugrats are back in their cupboard, sorry, I mean beds, for the evening