Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz neck v G&L L2000

clarkeyjnr

I wondered if anyone has any experience of these two necks?

My main bass is a 20 yr old G&L  L2000 and recently I've started to find the neck uncomfortable (a bit painful) to play (since I started developing some pain in the lower knuckle of my fretting hand thumb - maybe arthritis of ligamentous). I think the stretch is just starting to feel a bit much.

Am thinking of buying a Jazz instead with a slimmer neck. Just wondered if anyone ever had the same issue - that  neck started to feel uncomfortable to play.

(New here - so excuse the stupid question!)

Cheers

Having always played a Jazz since the 1980s, when I picked up a particularly nice, used '72, I bought a G&L L2000 - the Tribute model, but the dimensions are the same as the US ones - a few years ago as a general purpose gigging instrument. I had become a bit leery of taking a vintage Jazz to some of the more dodgy places I played. The G&L was a great instrument - very well made, versatile and the pickups were excellent, with a wide range of tones. However, I just couldn't get on with the wider, flatter neck. I tried, because I liked the noise it made so much, but gave up in the end, sold it and got a Mexican PJ (which has a Jazz neck). So I certainly believe you will find a Jazz more comfortable. However, I'm not you, so try before you buy.

Edited by Dan Dare

Just now, Dan Dare said:

Having always played a Jazz since the 1980s, when I picked up a particularly nice, used '72, I bought a G&L L2000 - the Tribute model, but the dimensions are the same as the US ones - a few years ago as a general purpose gigging instrument. I had become a bit leery of taking a vintage Jazz to some of the more dodgy places I played. The G&L was a great instrument - very well made, versatile and the pickups were excellent, with a wide range of tones. However, I just couldn't get on with the wider, flatter neck. I tried, because I liked the noise it made so much, but gave up in the end, sold it and got a Mexican PJ. So I certainly believe you will find a Jazz more comfortable. However, I'm not you, so try before you buy.

Thanks very much for the feedback! I played a 38mm nut neck bass a little while ago and while the string spacing felt quite different to my G&L, the neck felt narrower and more comfortable. Think I will just need to get used to the string spacing. Have seen a Jazz Deluxe Active (MIM) that I've got my eye on.....

I’ve no experience of the G&L but although I’ve been a Precision player for years, have recently found that the Jazz bass neck is seeming to just work better for me at present. It’s def worth checking out, and the neck on the US Professional Jazz is pretty amazing.

Don`t apologise for the question, there`s lots of dafter questions on here! :D

The size of neck issue will have affected lots of players on here. I have had a few Tribute G&L 2000s and while they are a great bass the neck was far too wide and chunky for me. I know that the US L 2000`s have a few different neck sizes but if the neck is causing you issues then time for a change.

Really as Dan says, you would need to get out and try some. I really like the Yamaha and Sandberg necks which are between a Jazz and a P bass in size but thats me and not you. Best of luck.

5 minutes ago, clarkeyjnr said:

Thanks very much for the feedback! I played a 38mm nut neck bass a little while ago and while the string spacing felt quite different to my G&L, the neck felt narrower and more comfortable. Think I will just need to get used to the string spacing. Have seen a Jazz Deluxe Active (MIM) that I've got my eye on.....

If you want a Jazz, do try a passive one. They seem to have a certain something in the sound that active ones don't - to my ears anyway. Some pretty good bargains around at the moment, due to shops and people generally trying to sell stuff to keep some money coming in.

No experience with G&L basses i'm afraid.

My normal gigging bass is my Sandberg. However it took me a little while to get used to it on longer gigs compared to rehearsals where you have longer breaks between songs. On Gigs i was sometimes getting to the point of cramp on my left hand. I did change my left hand position and try to keep my thumb on back of the neck more so at the lower end of the neck where stretch is more. That definitely helped and the gigs after that were fine.

Give some thought to your left hand technique before moving on to another style of bass. It might just be a simple adjustment.

I used to always play with thumb on back of neck but must have slipped into a more lazy approach over the years. 

Because of Covid i gave my old goto Geddy Jazz a wee shot and had forgotten jst how nice it feels to play. Lot slimmer neck with width and depth being less than Sandberg it just makes it so nice and a fast neck. Things are so much easier to play on my Jazz. 

I love Jazz basses but they don't always fit the style of bands i play in. They do sometimes lack in depth (heft might be a better word) You can always add some depth with your amp EQ but i find it sometimes kills the tone of my jazz.

Dave

59 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

No experience with G&L basses i'm afraid.

My normal gigging bass is my Sandberg. However it took me a little while to get used to it on longer gigs compared to rehearsals where you have longer breaks between songs. On Gigs i was sometimes getting to the point of cramp on my left hand. I did change my left hand position and try to keep my thumb on back of the neck more so at the lower end of the neck where stretch is more. That definitely helped and the gigs after that were fine.

Give some thought to your left hand technique before moving on to another style of bass. It might just be a simple adjustment.

I used to always play with thumb on back of neck but must have slipped into a more lazy approach over the years. 

Because of Covid i gave my old goto Geddy Jazz a wee shot and had forgotten jst how nice it feels to play. Lot slimmer neck with width and depth being less than Sandberg it just makes it so nice and a fast neck. Things are so much easier to play on my Jazz. 

I love Jazz basses but they don't always fit the style of bands i play in. They do sometimes lack in depth (heft might be a better word) You can always add some depth with your amp EQ but i find it sometimes kills the tone of my jazz.

Dave

Thanks Dave, appreciate the feedback. I've rejigged my G&L a little to reduce the relief and lower the action further and it's definitely better, but it's still a stretch on the ol' left thumb, even dropping my thumb down to use better technique. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and going for the jazz.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clarkeyjnr said:

Thanks Dave, appreciate the feedback. I've rejigged my G&L a little to reduce the relief and lower the action further and it's definitely better, but it's still a stretch on the ol' left thumb, even dropping my thumb down to use better technique. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and going for the jazz.

Sounds like you've made your mind up. 

As i said my Jazz has the slim width and slim depth neck so its a little bit less wood there than the standard Jazz. Def try before buying as mates Jazz feels a good bit more depth than mine.  Mine is the Carfted in Japan Geddy Jazz. Mate has the MIM version.

I also have the MIM PJ active with Jazz neck but its not as slim as my Ged Jazz so might be worthwhile checking out the Slim Jazz neck. Not sure what other basses its used on other than Geddy Jazz basses. Sure some of the Fender officianado's will give you more guidance.

I agree the active Fenders for me lack that classic mellow bass tone.

Good luck with whatever you go for.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

55 minutes ago, Coilte said:

Also..if you want to stay with G&L you could consider their jazz bass (JB2) or the SB2 which has a jazz neck. 

I use both an L2000 and a JB2 (tributes). I get along fine with both neck widths. The anlico pickups in the jazz are quite hot sounding - for a jazz bass -  while still being passive.