Why become a member? ×

Vintage V96 (stingray copy) wiring issue

kingforaday

Hey all, 

I bought this bass from here years ago for my sister when she was learning, she’s now asked me to sell it for her, but I’ve just tested it and although it works the middle control knob does nothing!?

I opened it up and there were two wires (red and white from pickup) inside soldered together and wrapped with electrical tape... so it’s some form of bypass/mod by the previous owner, that she never noticed. I’m guessing that makes it the volume control for the other coil?

I’ve taken pics of the pots and how it’s wired at the moment and hopefully someone can spot how to put it back to its original wiring? 

I’m in no way familiar with musicman style basses and although I can use a soldering iron, my knowledge of what I’m actually doing is severely lacking! 

any help greatly appreciated and if anyone happens to own one that hasn’t been tinkered and can provide me with a picture to copy, I’ll be most grateful!

cheers!

3BD988CB-5283-4D1E-9E0D-863357278F5D.jpeg

03FD407C-91FA-4FB7-8998-92FE9A60D966.jpeg

580F09AF-8A88-434F-AC4A-009D8741ADE5.jpeg

BECB24CA-DAD3-4E2A-B1C6-7D2A5C9C3911.jpeg

56B61F58-28DB-4C6C-AFE0-546F8355296D.jpeg

I think the hotwire gets unsoldered and the red and white go in its place I think it's a series parallel wiring loom like in dimarzio pups but can't really see or even remember atm lol

Thinking about it if you find a Wilkinson pickup diagram on line that will tell you as that's what should be in it

Edited by Thunderbird

22 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I do have such a bass but sadly it is buried - I’ll dig it out if thunderbird’s answer is not enough 

If you don’t mind that would be really useful! I’m not getting much joy on a google search (just lots of threads on forums such as this, with people asking for wiring diagrams)

So it has one pickup, looks like that's in series which is what the red and white wires are soldered together for?

Then it looks like it has two tone pots? Both have caps on them anyway. Is it a kind of fake 2 band eq with different capacitor values? It wouldn't quite work as they would both be high cut but at different frequencies and they would overlap but I've seen crazier things.

I'd just rewire as a Jazz bass, considering each coil as a separate pickup. I had an OLP wired that way and the difference between the coils was subtle, given how close they are, but noticeable and useful. In fact, look for a "Jazz parallel/series switch" and wire it with that, for maximum versatility.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 10:12, adamg67 said:

So it has one pickup, looks like that's in series which is what the red and white wires are soldered together for?

Thats what I was thinking - though you'd need the wiring diagram to be sure - might be parallel!

On 27/09/2020 at 10:12, adamg67 said:

Then it looks like it has two tone pots? Both have caps on them anyway. Is it a kind of fake 2 band eq with different capacitor values? It wouldn't quite work as they would both be high cut but at different frequencies and they would overlap but I've seen crazier things.

There are passive treble and bass circuit - there is one on the G&L L2000 - to be fair that doesn't really look like it though - again hard to know without seeing the cap values.

Hey all, no update really other than I think you've all helped me understand that it may not be a mod and that its supposed to be a tone pot... but in either case it doesn't work. I'm gonna strip it all apart and test everything to see if I can work out what is wrong. 

Man I wish I hadn't given away a box of spare pots and other parts last year ("I'll never need these" - I for some odd reason decided) 

51 minutes ago, kingforaday said:

Hey all, no update really other than I think you've all helped me understand that it may not be a mod and that its supposed to be a tone pot... but in either case it doesn't work. I'm gonna strip it all apart and test everything to see if I can work out what is wrong. 

Man I wish I hadn't given away a box of spare pots and other parts last year ("I'll never need these" - I for some odd reason decided) 

😂 this happens to me every time I have a clear out! It is such a tough balance between “might come in handy” and “oh **** I’m officially a hoarder”.