Why become a member? ×

Does this EQ pedal exist.

dave_bass5

I’m on the lookout for something quite specific. 

I want a small box (as opposed to rack) 3 or 4 band Parametric EQ. Each band with Q adjustment. Also variable LPF. Not worried about the cut amount, but need to be able to change the Freq. 

Would prefer real knobs over software, but not a big deal as long as it was well laid out. Battery operated would be great. Stereo would be good, although I could get by with mono if i had to and the price was right. 

All that is covered in my Helix Stomp, long with the option to add loads of other stuff, but i don’t really want to use it unless i have to. 

It must have ALL the above features. Ive seen loads that have most, but these are the features i know i want so anything missing is not going to work and I’ll keep on using the Helix. It can have more, but not too much as i don’t need more, so wouldn't want to pay more than i have to. 

This is for use with a synth, so no need for boosts, amp sims, any other effects etc. Just plain EQ. 

Cheers. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Artec is super cheap, but has only one channel and band. The written specs differ from actual. Yes, I have measured it.

An age-old tce parametric pedal has two bands. Do not mix with Sustain+ that is semiparametric. Pricey, pretty rare.

WMD Utility https://wmdevices.com/products/utility-parametric-eq lacks LPF, but has three bands.

tce 1140 and 2240 are rack mounted but definitely effective units.

Rane PEQ 55 has bands and knobs...

I used to have the old TC Parametric pedal. Got it for the exact same reason IIR. God that was a long time ago. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

If i went rack i might go for the Behringer DEQ2496. looks amazing for £230. Even has a freq analyser built in. Not really keen on a rack unit though. 

I still think the Mooer is in the lead. I can get two for just under £220. I’m going to use my Stomp to see if EQ can fix the issue first. Its looking more like I should just use that anyway. 

• Like 1

Ok, i must confess the EQ2 has been playing on my mind tonight. It does seem perfect, although the price is a sticking point. Nothing i cant talk myself around though, especially if my Boss EQ-200 sellls.

Peter. Can I ask you a few questions about this?

1. Can I change the LPF and HPF freq’s using just the pedal? I wont have a PC or Laptop to hand. If I not can i use the Neuro App on my iPhone to do this? It looks like i might need to set the outer bands up for this first, but thats fine, as long as i can change the freq’s on the fly. 

2. I’m assuming each of the 10 bands can have its freq’s changed, but are the numbers below the sliders fixed?

3. Looks like the Q can be changes for each of the sliders when used as a Graphic. Is that correct?

4. What type of indication on the pedal is there, if any, that the Parametric mode is being used. 

It looks quite complicated, although nothing i cant get my head around, but all the YT demos ive seen seem to concentrate on using a computer. I want to mainly use as a stand alone product, so i can tweak things at rehearsals/gigs. Although my needs are basic i do want to have access to the main features liek Freq, Q and amount for all bands inc LPF and HPF. If it works with my iphone then thats good enough.

Sorry, i know thats a lot of info I’m asking for. We cold take this to PM if its easier. 

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

If i went rack i might go for the Behringer DEQ2496. looks amazing for £230. Even has a freq analyser built in.

You could get an XR12 for £260; then use your iPhone to fiddle with each channel's eq to your heart's content.  (Also it's a 12-track digital mixer! Replace whatever your current one is?)

2020-09-27-00-33-07.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Hmm, the Mooer Radar looks like it might work, and its over £100 cheaper than the SA. Other than its mono it looks like it might do the trick.

The LPF might disappoint you, it only goes down to 3 KHz, which is way too high for my preference. I thought the Radar would do reasonably well as a HPF + LPF little pedal, but I ended up getting a separate LPF from SFX for that reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

If you're into £200+ territory and you want the immediacy of dials, check this unit from Empress.

https://empresseffects.com/products/paraeq

Yeah, I mentioned that I’m a previous post. Shame it’s mono. Not to bothered about dials and sliders as such, as long as the adjustments are easy to accomplish. 

16 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The LPF might disappoint you, it only goes down to 3 KHz, which is way too high for my preference. I thought the Radar would do reasonably well as a HPF + LPF little pedal, but I ended up getting a separate LPF from SFX for that reason.

Yeah, gone off that idea now. Still looking like ill end up with the EQ2. 

12 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

You could get an XR12 for £260; then use your iPhone to fiddle with each channel's eq to your heart's content.  (Also it's a 12-track digital mixer! Replace whatever your current one is?)

2020-09-27-00-33-07.png

I had thought about that something like that but I want to get something that will sit on my keyboard so I can make adjustments while playing. I know I can with the iPhone etc, but it’s overkill and needlessly complicated for what I’m after. 

Well the Zoom MS-70 CDR, stompbox sized digital multi effect, got both a bass specific and a guitar specific fully parametric equalizer that you can stack up to 6 of in a patch.

I say fully parametric equalizer but there are some jumps in the frequency bands you can chose from (but they are actually relatively close), as well as you can only chose between respectively a 0.5 - 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 or 16 Q value, the available frequencies lying between 20Hz to 20kHz, and differing a bit between the guitar specific and bass specific model, as far as I know being the only difference between the two equalizer models, finally you got a -/+ 20dB cut or boost at your disposal.

No HPF or LPF, but if you know what you are doing you can fake that by applying 3 to 4 bands of parametric EQ'ing, typically having to use 2 bands of cutting with relatively low Q value, and then sculpting the slope where the cutoff starts by also boosting 1 or 2 frequency bands slightly (the right DAW VST parametric equalizer with a graphic representation of the parameters should be able to help you with getting a better idea about what you are actually doing). 

Works well for me, I personally use 4 of the 2 band bass specific parametric equalizers chained up in a patch for EQ'ing my basic tone, followed by 2 additional 2 band equalizers for a LPF. 

Even with the few limitations (fixed frequencies and Q values to chose from), you can really get surgically specific with this, which I found very liberating.

I would think the general quality of the effects modeling on this cheap Zoom multi effect will not really be an issue here, since it is just equalization, and since the actual AD converter and processing resolution and bit depth of the unit is fine. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Thanks. I have a Zoom B1-4 which I had thought about using, but again it’s not stereo. 
I think I’m going to stick with the Helix Stomp for now. It already has all I need (the ability to chain up to 8 EQ’s must surely be more than enough lol).

Not sure how a DAW at home would help me fix an issue at a rehearsal room though. I’m tying to Eden out the PA system, which can only be done at the venue.

What changed my mind about using the Stomp from when I started the thread is it also has a headphone amp built in. I’ve been trying to work out how I can use headphones with the Synth without using yet another box for monitoring at gigs. The Stomp sorts this out as well so it kills two birds with with one stone, and I already have it. 

Edited by dave_bass5

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thanks. I have a Zoom B1-4 which I had thought about using, but again it’s not stereo. 
I think I’m going to stick with the Helix Stomp for now. It already has all I need (the ability to chain up to 8 EQ’s must surely be more than enough lol).

What changed my mind about using this from when I started the thread is it also has a headphone amp built in. I’ve been trying to work out how I can use headphones with the Synth without using yet another box for monitoring at gigs. The Stomp sorts this out as well so it kills two birds with with one stone, and I already have it. 

The Zoom MS-70 CDR happens to be stereo (both stereo inputs and outputs), though you can't EQ differently for the right and left channel, if that is what you were looking for.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Have you actually tried to do what you need on the stomp first? If you can dial the stomp in to do what you need with global eq and a para eq you have a solid staring block on which to judge a single pedal solution (to a problem you will no longer have by the sounds of it if the stomp works)!

I get that single pedals are often preferable for some applications but the stomp couldn’t be much bigger than the Empress for instance. It sounds like you know what you’re after and how to achieve it so worth a punt on existing gear unless you’re planning on selling the stomp once you get your new EQ! 

Thanks. Yes, definitely going to see if the Stomp works before moving forward.

The two options I have without spending is try the Stomp, and take one of our own PA cabs, as I know they are better. Downside to that is playing in mono (I’m not going to take two), which is fine as I can use it like a combo. I think this is the best solution anyway, as it will also get me used to using them for our gigs in the future. It will still need EQ so I’ll still need to take the Stomp anyway, and I do want to know if I can fix the issue with the studio PA. 

When I started the thread I was adamant I wasn’t going to use the Stomp, but with its headphone amp and separate volume control I don’t think there is anything else that can touch it.