Why become a member? ×

NBD.. Suhr.

bubinga5

Ive been looking for a Suhr Jazz for quite a while as they are quite rare and on my bucket list of Jazz basses to own. Some might know John Suhr predominantly makes guitars. He makes high end jazz basses in all sorts from his Classic Pro model Classic Antique to the Custom Classic J series. This instrument is a Custom Classic J. 

Its a swamp ash body with a honey burst high gloss finish. Abalone side dots, decal and fingerboard dots. Suhr (Humphrey) Jazz pickups in a 70,s spacing position, paired with a 2 band Suhr preamp. Ive played many high end jazz basses and this preamp is the clearest non coulered preamp ive ever heard. There is no preamp messing around with this basses clarity. It is also built beautifully. Amazing attention to detail. 

Ive got to say after playing many high end jazz basses from Celinder, Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Lull this Shur is up there.. The pickups on this bass are soooooooooooooooo good. !! 

These Suhr Humphrey pickups are just killer imo.. Im not sure how he winds them but these pickups make this bass sing. They are a dual coil that sounds very close to a single coil but are (I think) overwound to give a punch ive not heard on many jazz basses.Ive always had an issue with jazz basses sounding a little thin.  I think John Suhr sells these pickups as Humphreys or a single coil. This bass retails at around £3500 which is a bargain when you look at Sadowsky NYC Alleva etc. Its all in the name I guess.

One of the great Jazz basses does John Suhr make.

thankyou Fatih. 

0-2.jpeg

0.jpeg

0-3.jpeg

0-4.jpeg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 18

9 hours ago, molan said:

Are they original Suhr strings?

I have a Pink Suhr with pink windings on the strings and wondered what brand they were!

No unfortunately its got Rotosounds on it Barrie😆 which it came with. Ill be putting some others on soon. ! got any pics of your Suhr.?

Edited by bubinga5

• 4 weeks later...

I believe she played this bassline on a sunburst MIJ 70's reissue jazz bass she bought from Japan, from the geek Meshell information I have gathered. . .The same bass can be seen in this vid.

She played it on all of that first album. But yes her 60's jazz bass can be heard on Peace Beyond Passion. Like this track. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1