Why become a member? ×

Waiting to audition...

EJWW

First jam in over 7 months. 

Audition with an originals band tonight, first originals band I've played with in 20 years. 

Currently sitting in the reception area, agreed to meet at 7pm, still no one here at 7.04pm.

I'm a stickler for punctuality, i hope this is not a sign...

Just so desperate to play... 

I totally agree.

In my book:

Lateness = amateurs & rudeness.
Punctuality = professionalism & manners. 
No excuse not to send a quick message saying sorry but we are running a bit late. Personally would not audition people at 7pm. Would always do it at 8pm. Gives the band an hour to arrive, set up and warm up. Gives a much better first impression. 

• Like 3

Well I've just arrived home and am in a total dilemma.

The musicianship was very good.  The drummer and guitarist LISTENED which is a very desirable quality in my opinion. 

The songs are good (I had carefully learned all 7 songs i was sent).

However the punctuality issue burns away in my mind.... 

I did finally get to give my G&L LB100 its first outing. It was fab.

Hmm. Very little else happening for me to join round here at the moment. Keep looking or give them another chance?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Have you got anything better in the pipeline? If not, what have you got to lose?

Fair point. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

If you were impressed then maybe the benefit of the doubt but no explanation for their being late? If another chance, I'd be packing up 10 minutes after the rehearsal w3as due to start if there's a repeat.

I should have added i knew the singer from years back and she was very upfront with me about the character of the lads in the band i.e. really nice guys but so laid back practically horizontal. I told her afterwards the punctuality problem is a serious issue for me as a busy family man and i would not tolerate being made to wait. She did apologise so perhaps this might filter through. 

In the absence of an alternative i think I will give them one more chance, if next rehearsal is problematic I'll walk.

After years of covers it did feel wonderful to have the freedom to create my own basslines. Whatever happens once things pick up again i think i need to have an originals band on the go. 

• Like 1

If you like the rest of if you can just recalibrate. 

Played with a great drummer who was infuriatingly slack on rehearsal start times. I just accepted 7pm start meant we started playing 7.35 , and worked my times around this.  

If relaxed start to rehearsals is the only issue, you’ve found an originals band you genuinely enjoy playing with - a rare thing. I’d stick with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my old covers band our guitarist was always late for rehearsal. Didn’t matter what we said or did he simply wouldn’t get there on time, however no problems with gigs where it counted. 

Some people simply can’t be punctual, in your place EJWW I’d give them a probationary period of day 2 months. If they can’t maintain it for 2 months long term it will never happen.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

I wouldn't write them off because they were late once.  Sh!t happens. If they're regularly late, then yeah....

Can you live with a bit a lateness if the material/musicianship/personalities are good?  Our singer always turns up at least 40 minute after the rest of us, but by then we've had a jam and often got some ideas cooking.

Or would you rather play with a bunch of punctual idiots with crap songs? 😝

Personally I'd give it another go and take it from there - problems tend to rear their heads fairly early.  You'll know soon, I reckon...

• Like 1

I'm obsessively punctual, but I would not let it get in the way of a relationship.

Mrs Soup was very late to every date we had, but we still ended up together.

I was in a band with a drummer who was really late all the time. But he was a good drummer and a great bloke. Drove me mad, but I probably had some habits that drove him mad.

Just how some people are I'm afraid. 

OK, bit different when you're wasting rehearsal time I guess.

Edited by Nail Soup
spelling