Why become a member? ×

Headless idea

Chopthebass

As requested by Spondonbassed here are some pics of the bass that appeared in the background of the ‘83 Élite I’m building. 

specs are

body-ash, zebrano, black walnut. black sycamore. And maple top.

neck- flame maple, black walnut , plain maple

birdseye bound fingerboard, 35”, abalone dots

Bass Culture DC5 pickups

East Uni Pre with mini toggle for each pickup (series, split, parallel)

ETS headless hardware. 

E2DA746F-CD91-4B1D-AF29-F464C2DC5DC2.jpeg

E1A44E75-4566-41AD-95B6-43334CB38F2C.jpeg

E9CF63E1-DF4D-4825-AB50-A42F1E083A8D.jpeg

30E780AE-1B5C-4F30-8BB0-3E28CC49A813.jpeg

6CBC1F46-23A5-4A85-8168-FB4D9ABCE31A.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Love the workmanship, but is that a flame coming out of the neck in the 5th picture?

Also, did you build what I assume is a fake snake? (Apologies if it’s the real thing!!)

Ha ha! I threw on a mix of strings and the D is a rotosound. And your right, the red wrap and reflection looks like a flame. 
this was a good exercise because the rotosound is the only string that sounds good. Much higher output and more tone than the other 4. 

yup it’s a Cobra replica from Factory Five in the states. They make the best most authentic replica. I did one in the UK using the Dax kit from Harlow. This one however is less of a kit! Body chassis windshield and a few other parts. Transport Canada have restrictions about what can be imported. Got there in the end!

• Like 1

Thanks CtB, as you see from my avatar pic, I’m into kit cars, but at the other end of the scale to the Cobra, mine’s a 3 wheeler tribute to the sporting 3 wheeler of the 1930s, powered by a Honda CX500 V-twin bike engine, and designed by John Ziemba at JZR in Lancs, UK.

(sorry for the mini hijack of thread)

3 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Thanks CtB, as you see from my avatar pic, I’m into kit cars, but at the other end of the scale to the Cobra, mine’s a 3 wheeler tribute to the sporting 3 wheeler of the 1930s, powered by a Honda CX500 V-twin bike engine, and designed by John Ziemba at JZR in Lancs, UK.

(sorry for the mini hijack of thread)

No worries about hijacking! Your car looks like a lot of fun. It probably weighs nothing, so a 500cc engine I imaging pulls fine. Just worked out my engine is 14 times the size of yours! Jeez. Good job gas prices are cheaper here!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
58 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I might replace the headless system for this.

https://www.technologyformusicians.com/basshbridges.php?lingua=2

Thanks to its flexibility is ideal for use in instruments with funboard keyboards multiscale.

I don't know what one is but I'm sold on it already!

Edited by SpondonBassed