Why become a member? ×

New pre-amp pedal wanted for use with short scales

Osiris

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

From the comments I've read, 99% of folk found the exact same thing with the Tech 21 dUg Pinnick, which I believe Tech 21 themselves may have acknowledged. 

I guess that's one of the benefits of having the AO on the AO900 - you have some impressively flexible gain stage options on that amp!

That's interesting, where did you obtain that information? The one I had easily balanced between clean and drive sounds with no volume spikes. 

5 minutes ago, Osiris said:

That's interesting, where did you obtain that information? The one I had easily balanced between clean and drive sounds with no volume spikes. 

There's a current TB thread on Tech 21 pedals and a comment from one of the posters re. Tech 21 confirmation. 

But if you also found differently, I should reduce that percentage figure 😂

Edited by Al Krow
Importance of correct statistical analysis as well as correct usage of fonts.

38 minutes ago, Osiris said:

There is no volume jump unless you dial it in and dime it, it just requires due diligence which is not that hard to achieve

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That would be the most flexible answer. Even the cheap Zooms have models of preamps, plus comps, plus graphic EQ, plus parametric, plus drives.

The very fact that you want to tune it to your short scale basses shows that you know what you want to hear, but aren't gettting it from standard pres. More control is the only solution- or complete luck that one you haven't tried yet matches your requirements to perfection! 😄

I have a little MS-60B which is a great little unit, I might take a look at the newer models (can't remember the mode number off the top of my baldy head) to see if they offer a bit more control . 

Yes, it's a bit of luck to try to find something that works with the inherent short scale voicing. The Fender Downtown actually gets very close, if the mids were semi parametric it's pretty much be there for me as the drive is the sound that I like and the compressor is nothing special, but it's functional. Ah well, it's fun looking round the toy shop if nothing else :D

Depends what sound you’re going for. The AO does low gain well but it’s a totally different sound to the Tone Hammer. The distortion all happens in the midrange and it has a fuzz like character to it. If you want a more natural soft and furry tone, that adds a bit ‘squelch’ on the attack of the note when the low end distorts like on vintage recordings, then I’d reach for the Tone Hammer!

I keep flicking between my Tone Hammer and TC MojoMojo at the moment - they can sound pretty similar but the Aguilar sounds better going direct (the AGS adds a HPF & LPF), is more versatile and has the DI!

With the AGS volume boost, yes it’s there. At low enough gain levels you can get it usable as a stomp switch, but otherwise just treat it as a toggle switch that’s there to change the sound and not something you’d stomp on mid-track.

Edited by dannybuoy

Not sure if it'd be any good for short scale (don't see why not though) - but I'm looking at buying the Gallien Kruger Plex in the next few days.

The spec looks good - I can let you know what it's like when it arrives.

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/gallien-krueger-plex-preamp

https://www.gallien-krueger.com/plex-preamp/

• Thanks 1

For a cheap solution (61£/69 Euro) that judging from the few YouTube demos I have watched sounds great, though I have no personal experience with it, there is the Eden Module Terra Nova bass preamp: https://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_module_terra_nova.htm

To name just one feature that seems great about this is that it got both a low mids and high mids EQ control, which both additionally got a sweepable center frequency control.

Big as hell though, and even though I think it looks pretty cool, I'd imagine the look might not be in everyone's taste, if that is something that matters to you.

But otherwise to me it seems to me like a regular steal for the money.

Eden-Module-Terra-Nova.jpg

Here's the 2 of the just 3 YouTube demos I was able to find featuring this pedal :

(Excuse my Japanese :ph34r::scratch_one-s_head::laugh1:)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 25/09/2020 at 13:30, Osiris said:

Cheers @Teebs, that's one I've got my eye on too, so let me know what you think, please 😃

The Plex has landed!

Initial impressions:

- very sturdy & well-made;

- well laid out (the push rotary knobs for secondary features takes a little getting your head round);

- without having had it long, some great sounds emerge from this little box;

- the white LEDs on the main knobs are very bright;

- can't say much about the overdrive - I don't use it;

- compressor works well;

- EQ section is very good.

I'll add some pictures shortly.

DSC_0182_1601574153102.jpg

DSC_0185_1601574117353.jpg

DSC_0186_1601574086401.jpg

DSC_0189_1601574043199.jpg

DSC_0190_1601573968897.jpg

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/09/2020 at 12:46, Baloney Balderdash said:

For a cheap solution (61£/69 Euro) that judging from the few YouTube demos I have watched sounds great, though I have no personal experience with it, there is the Eden Module Terra Nova bass preamp: https://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_module_terra_nova.htm

To name just one feature that seems great about this is that it got both a low mids and high mids EQ control, which both additionally got a sweepable center frequency control.

Big as hell though, and even though I think it looks pretty cool, I'd imagine the look might not be in everyone's taste, if that is something that matters to you.

But otherwise to me it seems to me like a regular steal for the money.

Eden-Module-Terra-Nova.jpg

Here's the 2 of the just 3 YouTube demos I was able to find featuring this pedal :

(Excuse my Japanese :ph34r::scratch_one-s_head::laugh1:)

I thought about this and mentioned it to Mr Osiris but he did a bit of digging and I think people said that the unit was very noisy I'm still interested and they are pretty cheap atm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

I thought about this and mentioned it to Mr Osiris but he did a bit of digging and I think people said that the unit was very noisy I'm still interested and they are pretty cheap atm

I couldn't find much online about it but there was a couple of people, (possibly on talk bass?) saying that they were quite noisy, especially the DI. Hopefully that was just an issue with some of the first batch off the production line that has been sorted out now as they are tempting for the price but there's still a couple of issues;

1, they look like they have just been ripped out of the bridge on the Battlestar Galactica.

2, it needs a 15v power supply, which I think is included but means I'd need 2 different power supplies to run it with my tuner and compressor which is a ball ache.

3, They've got a footprint of around a thousand hectares. Why? 

But I'm still deciding whether to take a punt for the money as I think that the two semi parametric mids would be very handy for shaping the sound of my short scales. 

11 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I couldn't find much online about it but there was a couple of people, (possibly on talk bass?) saying that they were quite noisy, especially the DI. Hopefully that was just an issue with some of the first batch off the production line that has been sorted out now as they are tempting for the price but there's still a couple of issues;

1, they look like they have just been ripped out of the bridge on the Battlestar Galactica.

2, it needs a 15v power supply, which I think is included but means I'd need 2 different power supplies to run it with my tuner and compressor which is a ball ache.

3, They've got a footprint of around a thousand hectares. Why? 

But I'm still deciding whether to take a punt for the money as I think that the two semi parametric mids would be very handy for shaping the sound of my short scales. 

I have the same reservations as you in a way mate I'm OK with the power supply as I don't gig so would leave it set up really the size of it is holding me back its bigger than I thought but the eq options it has on tap seem good and even if only used as a glorified eq it is still cheaper than a boss eq pedal I think that made sense lol

On 01/10/2020 at 19:31, Osiris said:

Cheers @Teebs, let me know how you get on with it over the next few days if you would, my good man. 

Now that I've had a chance to have a good mess around with the Plex, a few thoughts:

Due to each knob having a secondary function when pressed down, it takes quite a lot of getting used to, as do the very bright white LEDs :o

However, for tone shaping, there are multiple ways to get the tone you're after, plus the 'voice' option, which gives you amp sims of Gallien-Krueger’s 800RB, Fusion 550, MB800, and MB150 heads.

It should be no problem to tweak the 'darker' tones of a short scale.

The compressor is very good & quite flexible - makes a difference!

I don't normally use overdrive, but I had a play and you get 5 settings from mild drive to buzzsaw metal! :o Plus of course, the usual level / tone controls. I like the mild OD setting on this.

It's not cheap, but I'd recommend it - however, I have also used the Eden WTDI for a couple of years in home & open mic situations, and you might achieve something similar with this, at a lower cost. It's also very good.

:)

In summary: Pretty comprehensive tone shaping.

Edited by Teebs
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Teebs that sounds like it could be a contender, I've pretty much narrowed my search down 2 or 3 models now, the Plex being one of them. I just need to do a bit more homework and justify spending the money while not gigging :(

• Like 1

Just now, Osiris said:

Cheers @Teebs that sounds like it could be a contender, I've pretty much narrowed my search down 2 or 3 models now, the Plex being one of them. I just need to do a bit more homework and justify spending the money while not gigging :(

Have a look at the Eden WTDI as well - less than half the price of the Plex.

505346691_EdenWTDI.jpg.9c75987afc7d1d3f77c0d770705aabe1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Have a look at the Eden WTDI as well - less than half the price of the Plex.

505346691_EdenWTDI.jpg.9c75987afc7d1d3f77c0d770705aabe1.jpg

Cheers, but I'd already eliminated the WTDI from my enquiries although I can't remember why now  :D

• Haha 1

The current favourite is the ISP Beta - the blue one, not the new Dave Ellefson signature model - for the twin semi parametric mids, but it doesn't look like you can get one new in the UK so I'm looking at possibility getting one from abroad, but that's a ball ache for returning it if it doesn't work out. 

And I'm still curious about the DG AO Ultra which some folks online say do an organic, low gain drive, but I appreciate that you say it's not so great for low gain, so the only way to decide is to try it for myself. 

The EBS Micobass 2 also looks interesting, it's got a couple of additional tricks up its sleeve that make it more flexible than it appears at first glance.

And the Plex. 

• Like 1

Still not quite following your logic. As you pointed out:

"I've read somewhere that the electronics industry accepts a failure rate of between 2.5 and 5% of electronic products, so anywhere between 1 in 20 and 1 in 40. I guess it was my turn with my first Stomp. But considering the numbers of units sold, there still seem to be very few reports of failures so I don't think it's as perhaps a big an issue... "

Based on this you would be mega unlucky to have a second Stomp fail on you, and some of your "back-up" options e.g. DG AO Ultra, EBS Microbass 2 and the GK Plex are definitely not cheap bits of gear, given that your Stomp is already delivering everything you need?

But, hey, if it's just a case of wanting to try out another bit of quality gear, well fair enough. It's not like many of us make do with just one bass...

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Still not quite following your logic...

Why not? Yes, I'd be unlucky to have a second stomp fail, but it could happen, I hope that it doesn't but none of us can categorically state that they will never have any particular bit of their gear fail on them. I've been gigging regularly since '86 and have had 3 or 4 gear failures on gigs in that time. I've also seen PA cabs go over and pints spilled over pedal boards which have caused gear failures. It happens.

And if you're being paid to play a gig (Corona, yes, I know) then you should be prepared for all realistic eventualities, that's why I always carry spares of just about everything (cables, strings, fuses, strap, amp, bass etc), other than a cab, on a gig. It's no good having something blow up and then you just turn round, shrug your shoulders, pack up and go home.  You're unlikely to get rebooked if you do. If you're being paid you need to be able to get through the gig. Simple as. 

• Like 1