Why become a member? ×

Jet Harris

Albs

To bring it back (closer) to topic............

I got chatting to a bloke at an open mike a few years ago (not where I live, it was the Portsmouth area) and he said he was the drummer in a Shadows live karaoke band.

Basically there are three in the band - Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, and punters take turns to be Hank. Sounded good fun, he said there are lots of red strats to be seen!

Didn't sound like they did a lot of gigs, just Shadows conventions and the like I think.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 24/09/2020 at 23:23, James Nada said:

Shadows - Man of Mystery - Jet walks his way around the chords through the whole thing.

Shadows - Apache - tastefully, musical and interesting (certainly for 1960)

Jet Harris & Tony Meehan - Diamonds - though not a bass track. Jet on lead "Barritone", actually a guitar tuned to DGCFAD by all accounts 

I don’t like correcting fellow bassists, but Diamonds was played on a Fender VI bass tuned the normal way E to E.  although some early footage it looks like his had 2 pickups rather than the usual 3 , but later he was using the normal one.

B530E5FC-7941-45F6-BD15-223FE1A3BA50.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I don’t like correcting fellow bassists, but Diamonds was played on a Fender VI bass tuned the normal way E to E.

B530E5FC-7941-45F6-BD15-223FE1A3BA50.jpeg

This seems to be a point of debate amongst many Jet fans - guitar tuned to D or a Bass VI.  I'm just going of what I've read in a Fender book.  

@grahambythesea what's your source that it was a Bass VI?  

I always found it quite sad that the Shads couldn`t allow Jet to play a tune or two with them when they did their farewell gigs with Cliff. But after reading Cliff`s biography, it seems that the Shads can be quite a stubborn group of guys.

The guy was a leading light at the time and his playing is right up there for me. It`s quite sad how he ended up.

On 25/09/2020 at 10:53, grandad said:

. A popular tribute guitarist to Hank Marvin, I think called Alan Jones, was present at one such club meeting. He had a drummer and my brother played rhythm and I bass for him as all the other members only knew Hank's lead to a few tunes. So that was a good night.

Wasn’t The Shadows’ bass player in the ‘80s or thereabouts called Alan Jones?

18 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I don’t like correcting fellow bassists, but Diamonds was played on a Fender VI bass tuned the normal way E to E.  although some early footage it looks like his had 2 pickups rather than the usual 3 , but later he was using the normal one

Wouldn't the two pickup be a Fender Jaguar, like in this clip ...

15 hours ago, James Nada said:

This seems to be a point of debate amongst many Jet fans - guitar tuned to D or a Bass VI.  I'm just going of what I've read in a Fender book.  

@grahambythesea what's your source that it was a Bass VI?  

You are right - IIRC Jet stated this somewhere in a long interview he did with Licorice Locking (who was actually his replacement bass player in the early 60s). It's probably somewhere on You Tube - I think he mentions the type of guitar also - some sort of Fender (maybe Strat or Tele). 

5 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Wasn’t The Shadows’ bass player in the ‘80s or thereabouts called Alan Jones?

Yes - late 70s and 80s - a very good player (there are some great bass parts on recordings, both studio and live from that era). Mark Griffiths was the most recent, also a great player. 

Licorice Locking was replaced by John Rostill, also a great player, who went on to play in Tom Jones's band in Las Vegas - apparently the band was so good that Elvis had a conversation with Tom Jones about it. Elvis's late 60s LV band was equally sh*t hot - Tom Jones's band may have been part of the inspiration!!

John Farrarr played bass with the Shadows In lieu of John Rostill, who passed away at the beginning of the 70s, and also shared bass duties in Marvin, Welch and Farrarr. He no doubt earned, and continues to earn copious royalties from songs he wrote for Grease, including You're the One that I Want!! 

Edited by drTStingray