Why become a member? ×

Sire delaminating scratch plate

JPJ

So a few weeks ago I was sitting noodling on my Sire V when I noticed what appeared to be a protective film lifting from the scratch plate next to the bell plate. Thinking I mustn’t have removed this when I bought the bass, I foolishly pulled it and actually removed the top glossy layer of the tortoise shell leaving a dull lifeless brown shell pattern underneath.
After searching online for a replacement and trying both Fender USA and Fender Mexico replacements with no success, I bought some BWB scratch plate sheet material and made my own. It’s not perfect, but I think the black looks better than the tort😎

61FB1183-C64F-45A3-9618-0AB4AFA084EC.jpeg

• Like 3

Thomann & Bax Music do replacement plates for Sire V7 4-strings, not sure if they do them for the 5ers.

They're after-market though, and not a fantastically good fit - I swapped my boring black plate for a clear one and it took a lot of very careful filing around the neck & pickup cutouts to get it to go on. A couple of the holes didn't line up fantastically well either, was a bit concerned about either the lacquer on the bass or the plate itself cracking when I tightened it down. All went well though, and I think it was worth the work:

MMV7resize02.thumb.jpg.26bcd49fdc30ff69a360abb6a15f4cb4.jpg

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Thomann & Bax Music do replacement plates for Sire V7 4-strings, not sure if they do them for the 5ers.

They're after-market though, and not a fantastically good fit - I swapped my boring black plate for a clear one and it took a lot of very careful filing around the neck & pickup cutouts to get it to go on. A couple of the holes didn't line up fantastically well either, was a bit concerned about either the lacquer on the bass or the plate itself cracking when I tightened it down. All went well though, and I think it was worth the work:

MMV7resize02.thumb.jpg.26bcd49fdc30ff69a360abb6a15f4cb4.jpg

Yeah I couldn’t find any 5 string versions online when I looked. That clear plate looks great though and it would work on the black bass as the neck pickup is drilled to the controls not routed like on many Fenders these days. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 23/09/2020 at 12:37, JPJ said:

So a few weeks ago I was sitting noodling on my Sire V when I noticed what appeared to be a protective film lifting from the scratch plate next to the bell plate. Thinking I mustn’t have removed this when I bought the bass, I foolishly pulled it and actually removed the top glossy layer of the tortoise shell leaving a dull lifeless brown shell pattern underneath.
After searching online for a replacement and trying both Fender USA and Fender Mexico replacements with no success, I bought some BWB scratch plate sheet material and made my own. It’s not perfect, but I think the black looks better than the tort😎

61FB1183-C64F-45A3-9618-0AB4AFA084EC.jpeg

You may have read my post on the Forum somewhere about the same issue I had with my P7?

The pickguard was de-laminating in several areas, especially around the screw holes. I bought the bass from Thomann who very kindly gave me a Sire Marcus Miller gig bag as compensation. I was going to buy a gig bag anyway so with the money I bought a replacement pickguard from Jack’s Instrument Services in Manchester.

The replacement red tort pickguard looks better than the stock one. The black pickguard does look nice on yours though, but on mine I think the red tort looks nicer with the white paint finish.

3ADCD81A-770A-4B72-9DE9-52C83FE055A3.jpeg

• Like 2