Why become a member? ×

Decent gig bag?

Angel

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I've been using these soft cases.

The cheaper and excellent one, if you like rectangular shape and Music Store DV 247 branded https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-Soft-Case-Electric-Bass-/art-BAS0008530-000

Then, this more form shaped one, again Music Store DV 247 branded and faux jeans look https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/MUSIC-STORE-Softcase-Electric-Bass-Modern-Deluxe/art-BAS0010367-000

And my favourite one as it's totally unbranded and can be used with almost any bass (my Opacic AJ6 36 inches scale sixer fits in perfectly) https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-Soft-Case-Urban-Electric-Bass-/art-BAS0010065-000

I've used all of them for shipping basses too, so again (light) Sherman tank proof ones.

I've used them all since they were available, so many many moons ago.

As said, the soft cases are, to me, the best option for carrying instruments as they absorb more the impacts than the cheap hard cases that amplify the shocks because of their structure.

These look great. Very similar to the gear4music one I mentioned above, and even slightly cheaper! The OP can't go wrong with any of these I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, Angel said:

The only problem with all these is knowing if the bass will fit! The most useful photo would be a straight on shot of a standard bass (maybe jazz or precision) so you could judge by how that firs the space. Why does no-one take a pic like that??

Here you go - my Jazz (bitsa) and my 63 Precision in the gear4music foam case. Must admit the slightly offset shape of the jazz means it's a tighter fit than the P-bass, but both well protected and snug! Hope this helps, cheers.

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

And my favourite one as it's totally unbranded and can be used with almost any bass (my Opacic AJ6 36 inches scale sixer fits in perfectly) https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-Soft-Case-Urban-Electric-Bass-/art-BAS0010065-000

I like the look of this one. That little pocket looks just the right size for wireless transmitter, batteries etc. And by the sounds of it, would be big enough for my Sire fiver. This and @CameronJ's Thomann Premium are my two favourites of the bunch so far (apart from the really expensive Momos etc. which would be out of my price league).

Edited by Rich

1 hour ago, Angel said:

The only problem with all these is knowing if the bass will fit!

If there is moulding or tge case is shaped inside then you might have problems, but gig bags don't usually have that. I just look for an internal length of around 49". That'll fit any of my basses.

My 35" Scale PJ5 is 47" long and fits a Mono Vertigo with room to spare.

On 22/09/2020 at 15:02, Bilbo said:

Another +1 for Mono. I use the Vertigo for a single bass and I have the M80 dual for when I need to take a 2nd bass. I have the Protection Racket one too but the zips have let me down on my one. Vertigo is my fave - totally trust it with my Sadowsky and it's comfy to carry on the tube, etc.

The other thing for me is the Vertigo is more ergonomic in everyday use. I rarely lay any case down, unzip and remove the guitar. The Vertigo is designed to allow you to pack/unpack your bass vertically and, most importantly, avoiding scratching the body against the zip. The Protection Racket, because of its' rigid sidewalls, was terrible for this in my experience.

Just my thoughts/experience - YMMV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

I think those suggesting Mono are forgetting that the OP specifically said they don’t want to spend a lot of money :ph34r:

I do not find spending lots of money, two bags have been slightly used. Because of the quality, I would say they were practically new. The quality equals long term use, which means pretty small long term costs.

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I think those suggesting Mono are forgetting that the OP specifically said they don’t want to spend a lot of money :ph34r:

Good point - I didn't factor that into my reply.

However, I do think it's worth spending out on a case that will last and protect the investment inside. I've had several cheap cases over the years which are now in the attic/bin. I guess if it's only for occasional light use then a cheaper bag would probably be ok, but my Mono's have been dragged all over the country for years and are still going strong. They've certainly been worth the cost.

They are expensive though, so I get why they may not be best for the OP.

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Here you go - my Jazz (bitsa) and my 63 Precision in the gear4music foam case. Must admit the slightly offset shape of the jazz means it's a tighter fit than the P-bass, but both well protected and snug! Hope this helps, cheers.

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

Thanks for that! most helpful!

• Like 1

I have a couple of iGig bags (one single, one double), which are the business. I know that Mono make great bags as well. 

If you're not going to gig, then there are plenty of cheaper bags that do a good job. I used to have a cheaper fusion bag that was fine. 

I'm a big believer in using a quality gig bag which is why I've used an iGig for years, and more recently a leather Reunion Blues. It's worth it if you are carrying expensive instruments all over the place 3 or 4 times a week. But, as the OP says he rarely takes his bass out and has a limited budget, he doesn't need to be spending a couple of hundred quid. I mentioned the Thomann one earlier,  but I also picked up a Protection Racket years ago for under £50 and it's still going strong. The new Ibanez ones look decent for the price too. 

I've been using the Mono M80 flight bag for my Status basses instead of the original Hiscox cases, and I've been very happy with it so far. Build quality is impressive, it's comfortable to wear as a backpack, the padding is very thick and sturdy, the neck is held by a long flap with velcro, the front pocket is very useful with a velcro loop for your instrument cable, and when you don't need the shoulder straps you can just tuck them away in a back pocket. I love mine! It's wickedly expensive for a gig bag, but it feels like it won't let me down easily. I've been using the guitar version for my headless basses.