Why become a member? ×

Decent gig bag?

Angel

Anyone got a recommendation for a good bass gig bag - Something roughly 5 string jazz bass size?

I'm not a fan of hard cases, and my instruments rarely leave home. I'd like to get a decent quality gig bag with some padding, not one of those flimsy things!

Money as always is a bit tight so I'm not after something diamond encrusted that you can drive over in a Sherman tank.

Any thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Angel said:

I'm not after something diamond encrusted that you can drive over in a Sherman tank.

A pedant writes:

"Actually, I think you'll find you can drive over any gig bag in a Sherman tank, or any other heavy vehicle for that matter. Whether it survives or not is an entirely different matter. To be strictly accurate, I think you'll find that you should have stated that you are 'not after something diamond-encrusted that will survive intact should it be driven over by a Sherman tank or any other tracked or untracked armoured vehicle'. No I don't have very many friends, as a matter of fact. Why do you ask?"

SOMEONE IS WRONG. SOMEONE IS VERY WRONG.

• Haha 9

If you were seriously gigging, I'd recommend Reunion Blues or ProTec or similar, but as you hardly take your basses out I'd look at something like the Thomann gig bags. I've got the fake leather one, and although the shoulder strap is starting to go a bit,  it is still a decent case.

37 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Bought one of these recently and I was frankly stunned at the quality for the price. Really really good:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm

Seconded. I've got one of these, it's a heavy gig bag but it fits allsorts including big pointy banana headed basses. And I used to carry around a Sire 5 string jazz in mine. Decent size pockets and lots of padding. Very good value for money. 

My current gig bag isn't hugely padded, is getting on a bit and certainly isn't Sherman tank proof. But its previous owner was OldGit, so it's going nowhere. :) 
I might treat myself to a heavier second bag at some point in the (hopefully not too far distant) future though, to celebrate the start of gigging again. So I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for recommendations too.

31 minutes ago, gjones said:

The protection racket bass case is pretty indestructible and not stupidly expensive.

Another vote for Protection Racket. A bit fatter than a normal gig bag, but with good reason - extra protection. They also have custom placeable pads to fit and secure your bass precisely.

I bet a few people are waiting for me to recommend these, and I hate to disappoint!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

Honestly one of the best things I've bought in years - in fact I bought one as a spare in case the first ever gives up the ghost. This is looking extremely unlikely at the moment, probably 6 or 7 years down the line. Used it on every gig I've done with my main band, so at least 500 gigs in and out of our vehicle. Still looks virtually new, and has protected my bass perfectly. Lighter than a standard case, tons more protection than most gig bags, shaped so not overly large and dead easy to use. Quite a few mates have seen mine and got one, everyone commenting how good they are. Best thing is the price - £39.99. You really can't go wrong. A few other companies do ones not a million miles away (SKB, Gator?) but they tend not to be shaped and therefore not as user friendly IMO. And cost a fair bit more too....🤨 

(just to add that my 4 string jazz fits in one of these, so although I can't guarantee your 5 er will, there is a fair bit of space around the headstock on mine so chances are it should.)

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, casapete said:

I bet a few people are waiting for me to recommend these, and I hate to disappoint!

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

Honestly one of the best things I've bought in years - in fact I bought one as a spare in case the first ever gives up the ghost. This is looking extremely unlikely at the moment, probably 6 or 7 years down the line. Used it on every gig I've done with my main band, so at least 500 gigs in and out of our vehicle. Still looks virtually new, and has protected my bass perfectly. Lighter than a standard case, tons more protection than most gig bags, shaped so not overly large and dead easy to use. Quite a few mates have seen mine and got one, everyone commenting how good they are. Best thing is the price - £39.99. You really can't go wrong. A few other companies do ones not a million miles away (SKB, Gator?) but they tend not to be shaped and therefore not as user friendly IMO. And cost a fair bit more too....🤨 

(just to add that my 4 string jazz fits in one of these, so although I can't guarantee your 5 er will, there is a fair bit of space around the headstock on mine so chances are it should.)

That looks like a bargain!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I'm liking that! If my bass fits then that's what I'd go for for sure!

• Like 2

I've been using these soft cases.

The cheaper and excellent one, if you like rectangular shape and Music Store DV 247 branded https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-Soft-Case-Electric-Bass-/art-BAS0008530-000

Then, this more form shaped one, again Music Store DV 247 branded and faux jeans look https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/MUSIC-STORE-Softcase-Electric-Bass-Modern-Deluxe/art-BAS0010367-000

And my favourite one as it's totally unbranded and can be used with almost any bass (my Opacic AJ6 36 inches scale sixer fits in perfectly) https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Fame-Soft-Case-Urban-Electric-Bass-/art-BAS0010065-000

I've used all of them for shipping basses too, so again (light) Sherman tank proof ones.

I've used them all since they were available, so many many moons ago.

As said, the soft cases are, to me, the best option for carrying instruments as they absorb more the impacts than the cheap hard cases that amplify the shocks because of their structure.

Edited by Hellzero
Word forgotten
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Keep an eye on the Fusion website. They have sales on occasion. I got their almost Sherman tank proof model for around £100. Nice bag. Failing that, the Thomann others recommend is nice for the money.

Another vote for Fusion here. Not the cheapest but definitely the most comfortable, with really good protection and lots and lots of storage space.

I've been mostly using their F1 for... about 7 years now. Since March, it's only left the house a handful of times but before that it's been used several times per week, travelled all over the place with me in the car or in the band van with other stuff, and it still looks good and nothing is fraying or anything. Yeah, they look expensive at first glance, but totally worth it, in my opinion.