Why become a member? ×

Song Title Word Association...

donslow

2 hours ago, KevL said:

Turning Japanese The Vapors

5 minutes ago, KevL said:

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Tony Orlando and Dawn

@KevL Forgive me if I'm completely missing the connections here, but I'm just wondering if you're making your associations using the artist/band name when the topic is Song Title Word Association. 

@Stingray5 and @TheGreek (and any any other puzzled viewers);

Turning Japanese was written, I believe, about an activity that would have one Coming In The Air...

One Night In Bangkok led to Tie A Yellow Ribbon as Tie is a homonym of Thai(land).

I realise that these may be seen as obscure or too cryptic but it's just to try and keep the thread fresh, albeit the same songs do seem to pop up regularly - I've certainly used The Vapors' song before. Our brains all work slightly differently...

A serious suggestion: is it worth all participants following their song suggestion with a very brief explanation of how they've linked to the previous entry? For consistency, this would be for every entry, even if the link is blindingly obvious. It would also prevent the thread getting diverted with questions and replies such as this, not that I object to anybody asking about my links at all.

Edited by KevL
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KevL said:

Turning Japanese was written, I believe, about an activity that would have one Coming In The Air...

One Night In Bangkok led to Tie A Yellow Ribbon as Tie is a homonym of Thai(land).

I realise that these may seen as obscure or too cryptic but it's just to try and keep the thread fresh, albeit the same songs do seem to pop up regularly - I've certainly used The Vapors' song before. Our brains all work slightly differently...

A serious suggestion: is it worth all participants following their song suggestion with a very brief explanation of how they've linked to the previous entry? For consistency, this would be for every entry, even if the link is blindingly obvious. It would also prevent the thread getting diverted with questions and replies such as this, not that I object to anybody asking about my links at all.

My Bangkok association was certainly nothing to do with the Far East as may have been deduced, it was meant to be a play on words for the activity The Vapours’ song refers implies.

Dali’s Car...

Rock Lobster - The B52s (from Dali’s lobster telephone).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KevL said:

I realise that these may seen as obscure or too cryptic but it's just to try and keep the thread fresh, albeit the same songs do seem to pop up regularly - I've certainly used The Vapors' song before. Our brains all work slightly differently...

Ah, fair enough. I think it was as much to do with the fact that it just so happened the band names in your two posts also had a tenuous link to the previous post title - that is...

- One night in Bangkok- Murray head >>> Tie A Yellow Ribbon Tony Orlando and Dawn

- Turning Japanese - The Vapors >>> In the Air Tonight - Collins ..... (Wind)

Tbh, I don't think putting explanations for every post is entirely necessary. It's a simple 'game' really that I guess does sometimes get slightly sidetracked.

Apologies for raising any confusion, etc. :) 

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 3

No worries @Stingray5, some of the links - not just mine - are obscure/vague/tenuous/devious (delete as applicable) but that's part of what it's about. You're right in that an explanation isn't needed for each entry, that would take a lot of the fun out of it and people can always ask if they really need to know. 

Anyway, back to the thread with a link that's hopefully apparent. Following Rock Lobster:

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town Bruce Springsteen 

Edited by KevL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1