Why become a member? ×

Schaller S-locks - a disappointment

tauzero

I've had Schaller straplocks or compatible ones on all my instruments for ages. After getting another Warwick bass which turned out to have the Warwick-specific straplocks on it, and the cheap Schaller clones I bought being rubbish, I decided to treat myself to Schaller S-locks. I already have a set on the Variax bass so I didn't expect any issues. Fitted the strap part fine, but when I tried to fit the pegs to the bass, I ran into problems. Unlike the older Schallers and the clones, the peg and screw form one piece, with a hex hole to take an Allen key in the centre of the peg. The hex cutout was poorly cut on both, on one the key just turned in the head and the other was so sloppy a fit that any attempt to put significant pressure on the key would have rounded out the head. This was a decent key, incidentally, and a second key, a bit from a decent socket set, showed the same issues.

Strings Direct were the suppliers and were very helpful, and sent out replacement pegs. These went on OK (still a bit of a sloppy fit, I wouldn't have been happy using bolts with that sloppy a head on a bike). Then one of the straplocks refused to go on. Took the pegs back off and went home and ordered a set of Boston clones. Oddly, when I retested the Schaller straplocks, they did go on OK, so I'm keeping them in reserve, but I won't be splashing out £25 on any more sets when I can get Bostons for under a tenner.

The inconvenience was somewhat multiplied by the bass being at the rehearsal studio 20 miles away, and me travelling by motorcycle (not anticipating problems) so that did delay things a bit.

I definitely think that the move to a single piece button/screw for the S Locks was a really daft decision, when the button and separate screw combination was simple, and it just worked.

If you do a bit of searching, you can still get the old style strap locks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2020 at 10:45, tauzero said:

The hex cutout was poorly cut on both, on one the key just turned in the head and the other was so sloppy a fit that any attempt to put significant pressure on the key would have rounded out the head. 

Are you sure about this, or did you use imperial size hex keys? Schaller being German, these use metric sizes. 

On 22/09/2020 at 09:45, tauzero said:

I've had Schaller straplocks or compatible ones on all my instruments for ages. After getting another Warwick bass which turned out to have the Warwick-specific straplocks on it, and the cheap Schaller clones I bought being rubbish, I decided to treat myself to Schaller S-locks. I already have a set on the Variax bass so I didn't expect any issues. Fitted the strap part fine, but when I tried to fit the pegs to the bass, I ran into problems. Unlike the older Schallers and the clones, the peg and screw form one piece, with a hex hole to take an Allen key in the centre of the peg. The hex cutout was poorly cut on both, on one the key just turned in the head and the other was so sloppy a fit that any attempt to put significant pressure on the key would have rounded out the head. This was a decent key, incidentally, and a second key, a bit from a decent socket set, showed the same issues.

Strings Direct were the suppliers and were very helpful, and sent out replacement pegs. These went on OK (still a bit of a sloppy fit, I wouldn't have been happy using bolts with that sloppy a head on a bike). Then one of the straplocks refused to go on. Took the pegs back off and went home and ordered a set of Boston clones. Oddly, when I retested the Schaller straplocks, they did go on OK, so I'm keeping them in reserve, but I won't be splashing out £25 on any more sets when I can get Bostons for under a tenner.

The inconvenience was somewhat multiplied by the bass being at the rehearsal studio 20 miles away, and me travelling by motorcycle (not anticipating problems) so that did delay things a bit.

Schaller are American.

It's likely that they are designed to be used with 1/8" Imperial size Allen keys rather than 3mm.

OOps... no they are German!

They say " Simply screw it on with an Allen key (size 3mm/ 1/8"). "

Looks like they use a 1/8" socket in the hope it will be OK with 3mm and it isn't...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Just checked their website, they claim it fits both 3 mm and 1/8". 

They are most definitely German though. Until fairly recently, the back of their tuners even used to mention "Made in West-Germany" even though the two halves of Germany had long reunited. 

Edited by LeftyJ

7 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Are you sure about this, or did you use imperial size hex keys? Schaller being German, these use metric sizes. 

I used metric hex keys, the same as I did for the previous ones I put on another bass, and the same as I did for the replacement ones. Strings Direct checked them when I sent them back and also found them faulty. I like the bit that goes onto the strap but I just don't see the point of the one-piece peg.

I'm still puzzled at the emphasis Schaller place on their 'new' (2018) S-Locks being "silent".

I have old-style Schallers on at least half my basses, and I really can't remember ever thinking "gosh, what noisy straplocks these are".

Yes, they rattle when you pick up the bass and start to sling the strap over your shoulder, but as soon as any weight comes on them they are of course completely silent.

I'm not sure whether this should be filed under First World Problems or under Solution In Search Of A Problem.

• 3 weeks later...

My old- school schaller straplocks squeak and honk if I move around and the bass pivots on them. It's only ever happened on one bass; the Vigier.

I reckon it's because it's got brass inserts in the body to stop the screws holding the buttons pulling out. That, or it's the angle the buttons sit at. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...