Why become a member? ×

Help me choose my next bass!

rasher80

So I’ve got a dose of GAS at the moment, and I’m ready to take the plunge. I’d like an active 4 string (LEFTY!) with the intention of using it to learn to slap. Think 70s/80s soul/funk stuff like The Brothers Johnson, Jocelyn Brown, Luther Vandross etc etc.

I’ve narrowed it down in my head to a Sterling SUB Ray4 and an Ibanez SR300. I also ummed and ahhed over the Cort B4, which has the advantage of active/passive switching.

I know a Jazz is utilised a lot for this type of music but I’m not keen on the thin sound (much preferring a humbucker) and large, often heavy body. For this reason Sires are out of the question.

I don’t want to throw tons of money at it so I’ve set a budget of ~£400. These are the two I’ve identified – any thoughts or suggestions welcome thanks!

(Obviously being lefty there's not that many out there either used or in local shops, so I'll probably have to take the plunge from an online retailer and hope it's ok!)

Indeed, all at the price range are very good value and will give you a wide variety of tones. 

I am very close to buying a Sire V5 (passive) as they get such great reviews from lots of players. Wouldn't necessarily say just because they are jazz they sound thin, apparently the Active Preamp is very powerful. 

At the end of the day, nothing will be beat trying them out before buying. Appreciate that might not be easy but maybe buy and return if you can't get to a shop that stocks them 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Indeed, all at the price range are very good value and will give you a wide variety of tones. 

I am very close to buying a Sire V5 (passive) as they get such great reviews from lots of players. Wouldn't necessarily say just because they are jazz they sound thin, apparently the Active Preamp is very powerful. 

At the end of the day, nothing will be beat trying them out before buying. Appreciate that might not be easy but maybe buy and return if you can't get to a shop that stocks them 

I've not heard anything bad about them at all but the weight would be a problem I reckon 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've always wanted a MM type bass but I thought the double pickup configuration of the Ibanez would provide more tonal options.

The only drawback I thought of was the tight string spacing might make things difficult for a slap novice.

3 hours ago, rasher80 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've always wanted a MM type bass but I thought the double pickup configuration of the Ibanez would provide more tonal options.

The only drawback I thought of was the tight string spacing might make things difficult for a slap novice.

New SBMM  has HH versions but may only make single H LEFT HANDED

https://sterlingbymusicman.com/collections/basses/products/ray4-hh

Edited by Nebadon2000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rasher80 said:

The Ibanez might have more tonal options with the two pickups but it won't sound like a Music Man. The MM sound comes from that bridge pickup in that particular location. I think the SR bridge pickup is closer to the bride than the MM. The SR will be lighter and have a thinner neck but I would recommend the MM if that's the sound and look you want.

But if you want a MM get the SUB though. It's tempting to go for the 'more versatile' option but if there's one specific thing you want then I usually find it's better to go for something that does that well rather than something that does a load of other things and might get close to but might not quite nail that one specific thing you're after.

If you are able to try both out that'll give you a better idea of which is best for you. I'd always recommend getting your hands on an instrument before buying if possible.

• Like 1

In the price range you've got the Musicman or if you can find one 2nd hand a G&L L2000 Tribute. If it's the big fat humbucker sound your after, while the Sire will get you a very good tone for the style of music you're suggesting, it won't do the big ballsy Musicman sound. I do very much like the Sire V7 bass, I think it's stonking value, but from what you describe the Stingray sound seems to be what you're after. 

• Like 1