Why become a member? ×

NBD - Status Retro GP

AndyTravis

Andy, I've been a little apprehensive about commenting because it was me who bought The Groove Bass just ahead of you.

However it looks like things have turned out very well in the end - that's a beautiful bass you have.

Here's the Groove settling in with the existing Energy bass.   Feel the start of a wood neck Status collection coming on...

20200928_170143.jpg

• Like 1

@Edenburgh wow, looks belting.

In other news @ead and @bagsieblue sent a little bag of bits each and managed to source an appropriate nut and washer.

Very helpful and a sign of the great people among us.

Need to get in the back to realign the switch - my ocd can’t cope with a jaunty angle.

0D61CEB8-4321-499C-A61F-FDD8DCF489BC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

In other news @ead and @bagsieblue sent a little bag of bits each and managed to source an appropriate nut and washer.

Haha - Wish I'd have known we could have combined postage!!!, given @ead only lives a Dingwall Scale distance away from me!

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Haha - Wish I'd have known we could have combined postage!!!, given @ead only lives a Dingwall Scale distance away from me!

Well anything left over (which is quite a bit!) will be on its way back tomorrow afternoon, just need to buy some fresh envelopes as I was a bit over zealous when opening these 🥴

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well anything left over (which is quite a bit!) will be on its way back tomorrow afternoon, just need to buy some fresh envelopes as I was a bit over zealous when opening these 🥴

Keep the bits I sent!!.. Will cost more in postage than what they are worth.

I used to have a Status Shark 2 proactive... It was my first bass about 18 years back. 
 I love the fact that neither the Statii forum or the Status website have changed since then! (Obv. excerpt the 15 different Mark King special editions since then :sad:)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I used to have a Status Shark 2 proactive... It was my first bass about 18 years back. 
 I love the fact that neither the Statii forum or the Status website have changed since then! (Obv. excerpt the 15 different Mark King special editions since then :sad:)

I should’ve bought the shark 2 I saw in Johnny roadhouse years ago.

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I should’ve bought the shark 2 I saw in Johnny roadhouse years ago.

My old one. I tracked down the guy who owns currently on Basschat it years ago.
I saved up like crazy at the end of high school for my first bass, a lunchtime trip to a musicshop in Colchester found this hiding at the back of the shop where it must have been for years, the neck was like a banana and the screws were rusty... my dad was working in the town and helped talk the price down... my dad is quite good at bargaining, the sales assistant was sent to get the gig bag and came back with a status branded hardcase, it being the only status in the shop it went in it. Owner was not so happy his assistant had given it to me.
Would be interesting to try now after all these years. From memory it was amazing to play, a lovely lovely. The sound was a bit warm and smooth. The Japanese CIJ precision that replaced it sounded a lot better. I few years later I realised I could join Basschat and someone would pay me good money for the bass and I could buy a Warwick streamer from Warwickhunt... and the rest is history!

DSC02766.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Andy, how are you finding the Status?

Lovely, struggling for time but it’s getting a weekly run out.

If I’m being a stickler, I’d order one with a jazz width neck for my my pathetic small hands.

But I’ve gigged fatter necks for years without dying and the sound is a beautiful thing.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, the current price list states they’re making it with a 38mm nut width. This has 42mm

Gotcha, every day is a school day.

I used to own a T Bass, I always remember the neck being huge, so I've always associated Status with wide fingerboards. 

• 3 weeks later...

Si bought that bass off me quite a while ago. It was lovely but getting no use as I was playing my old Fender Precision at the time and saving for my new house. I’m glad it’s got a new owner. 
I still own a Status Eclipse with two Jazz pickups and carbon neck with no trussrod, it’s the only active bass I own. The neck is wide and flat and it is very light it is my go to bass when I need versatility. It cost me under £400 and is one of the few basses I will not sell. 

Edited by ash
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ash said:

Si bought that bass off me quite a while ago. It was lovely but getting no use as I was playing my old Fender Precision at the time and saving for my new house. I’m glad it’s got a new owner. 

Did it have the East Pre when you had it?

You know I’m not sure. I remember there being some mods. I have had a couple of these Status Retros - I am sure I bought one off Si and sold him one too so I may have got them the wrong way round but certainly owned this one at some point. 

8 minutes ago, ash said:

You know I’m not sure. I remember there being some mods. I have had a couple of these Status Retros - I am sure I bought one off Si and sold him one too so I may have got them the wrong way round but certainly owned this one at some point. 

It just needs pedals...then it could officially be a bike...