Why become a member? ×

N(I)BD - Ibanez TMB35...and Aguilar AG5PJ-HC pickups aka TMDBAG35

Mikey D

In a perfect would I'd buy a Fodera MG Mini but it isn't perfect and I don't have $10k to drop on anything nevermind a custom bass. Or an even more perfect world be a sponsor of Ibanez and have them make me a short scale fanned-fret GWB35 with Aguilar or Nordstrand strung E-C.

As neither are going to happen I bought a TMB35 about a month ago as reviews were solid although most about 4 string. Almost immediately or even before it was received I decided it was going to be a bit of a project bass to mod. (This seems to be a trend with the new shorter scale Ibanez basses and rightly so for the quality and pretty brain prices - @therealting has done an excellent job on a Mezzo).

@walshy had a set of AG PJ5 HC so thought what the hell...they arrived next day and then so did the bass. Tip for everyone else; the routing for the Ibanez Dynamix pickups are not the same as the AGs. :)

Before doing anything else I strung it E-C with some strings I had laying about (bought some Foderas to go on post-mod) and recorded this quickly - From Within - Michel Camilo (Anthony Jackson Bass Cover) and was already suitably impressed with feel and sound for £200ish.

IMG_20200817_213032.thumb.jpg.76af5601dc411c3ba5fb76306bb39a21.jpg

Luckily I had just spoken to my mate Jimmy about doing some fretwork on my basses and he recommended 'Rob' who does his guitars.

So I set about getting them over to Rob with no rush on them. A few WhatsApp back and forth we agree it needed a bit of a reroute and the pickguard would need changing to cover any holes I left it all up to him. It'll be ready to pick up tomorrow after one more minor mod.

I was excited anyway but after his comments I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow now: his nonchalant 'turned out alright hasn't it' got much more excitable with 'mate these pickups...I had to phone my bass player to tell him about the sound'.

Then I got a pic...I'm totally into the new 'board shape. 

I have a 4 or so additional mods in mind but will get it back and finally play it a bit before deciding what to do next.

Will check back in with a video/audio of it soon.IMG-20200920-WA0014.thumb.jpg.7effd4733a1f7a05ef453d0ed24cf701.jpg

IMG-20200920-WA0015.thumb.jpg.3277c869db9763efa89e4b174d92ffe5.jpg

Tomorrow will be a New Improved Bass Day

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 6

Another quick mod...straplocks. 

Also I’ve had a chance to play now through audio interface and amp...these Aguilar pickups are so clean! The P and J sound exactly like good P and Js should.

So for about £500 all in I am extremely happy with the outcome. Although I’m almost convinced on the next 2 mods already. But working out how to do a bit less than full RRP.

656A6088-2AA0-4D15-A96E-3040B0296051.jpeg

Looks great - am just considering getting one of these myself - but there is precious little info on the 5-string variant. 

if you don't mind me asking: how does it balance? Any hints of neck-dive? 

The shape looks very Jaguar-ish, and both Jaguars that I had dived something fierce :(  

Hoping this one doesn't!

Edited by kumimajava

Hi. Tbh there is neck dive no doubt about it. When sitting down I play ‘classical guitar’ style anyway and standing up although it is obvious, it doesn’t bother me personally. 

The mod mod I wanted to do actually was swap the tuners for some lightweight gotoh. Won’t resolve completely but will help a bit.

Although I can’t say im not intrigued by the more extreme mod of going headless :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

Hi. Tbh there is neck dive no doubt about it. 

Although I can’t say im not intrigued by the more extreme mod of going headless :)

Thanks for clarifying that - I'd be most curious to see how the headless-mod works out ... as a fan of headless basses, it's an idea that sounds rather attractive :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After debating whether to change them for a while, I found these Ultralites for sale thanks to @Bobthedog 

Big weight difference, but not enough to totally remove any movement. However when sitting bass now balances almost parallel with the floor rather than diving towards it. When standing a little forearm pressure and strap easily hold it where I prefer the angle to be. 

The costs are pushing it a bit now but for a c.£500-600 investment, I think it's been worthwhile to get in the short scale club with a level of quality I'm happy with. Definitely a market for more mid-quality short scales.

Next mod: After filling the holes...one day maybe add a drop tuner hipshot xtender

PXL_20210327_134942114.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210327_134946708.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210327_193216559.jpg

PXL_20210327_193433818.jpg

PXL_20210329_170412364.jpg

PXL_20210329_170417923.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mikey D said:

After debating whether to change them for a while, I found these Ultralites for sale thanks to @Bobthedog 

Big weight difference, but not enough to totally remove any movement. However when sitting bass now balances almost parallel with the floor rather than diving towards it. When standing a little forearm pressure and strap easily hold it where I prefer the angle to be. 

The costs are pushing it a bit now but for a c.£500-600 investment, I think it's been worthwhile to get in the short scale club with a level of quality I'm happy with. Definitely a market for more mid-quality short scales.

Next mod: After filling the holes...one day maybe add a drop tuner hipshot tender

PXL_20210329_170417923.jpg

Glad they helped. I believe @Rich cleverly filled the holes on his Sire with cut down cocktail sticks. PS love the Aguilar rig in the background.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1