Why become a member? ×

Pending: Stagg EUB - cheap but it's had a hard life ...
£140
Teignmouth, South Devon

MrTea

Stagg 3/4 size EUB which I picked up a couple of years ago like a few others on here. I don't recall the exact price I paid but I think it was around the advertised price - if I'm wrong please PM and I'll update accordingly. I'd like to pass this on for the same money I paid for it. 

First up, the bad points ... I'm pretty sure these were ex music service stock and as such had a hard life. It's missing one body rest. The preamp has had some abuse and both pots don't stop anymore - they continually turn. I also don't think the volume works. There is plenty of chat on talk bass of a simple job you can do to take out the preamp with a single cut on the circuit board which apparently sounds better anyway. I always planned to do this but never quite got there. You may want to do that to circumvent these problems. That said - its functional in that it passes sound through to your amp. I've never used the headphone or MP3 sockets so can't comment on those. Assume they don't work and be delighted if they do 🙂

Otherwise the body and neck are in fair condition with one dink in the body which I've photographed. Plenty of swirls on the body - again, assume this is well used. 

The strings are some old/new generic stagg or otherwise strings I picked up from somewhere. They're not great to be honest but they're clean and a lot better than the ones that came on it. You'll probably want to switch them out for something better but they work and they're not completely dead. 

I've gigged this without issues and it was the start of my double bass adventures. Comes with the case and the single body rest. Hopefully the description above doesn't sound too negative - I'm just trying to give an honest appraisal. It's a serviceable start into double bass and could be a good little project. 

Maybe needless to say, this is collection only from Teignmouth, South Devon. Others may recall tales from when these were originally sold of them arriving in splinters. I've no interest in re-enacting that. 

PXL_20200920_152406963.jpg

PXL_20200920_152412658.jpg

PXL_20200920_152418828.jpg

PXL_20200920_152757811.jpg

Edited by MrTea
  • Like 1

I could courier from Devon, on Thursday only, and bring it to North Wales at the weekend (I am going anyway), so long as someone covered my costs (fuel from Dorset to Devon and back).  I'm expecting to be in Wrexham on Monday morning.

Edited by alyctes

14 hours ago, alyctes said:

I could courier from Devon, on Thursday only, and bring it to North Wales at the weekend (I am going anyway), so long as someone covered my costs (fuel from Dorset to Devon and back).  I'm expecting to be in Wrexham on Monday morning.

EDIT: scrap that 😞 Just been told that my presence is required on con-calls both days. Several hours of listening to academics havering about covid-19 research and not knowing what they need will now be the highlight of my weekend. Sorry.

@MrTea, I'll be happy to pay for a courier and some strong packaging if you'd be up for it. I appreciate the risk, but it is what it is. Let me know - if you are, I'll definitely have it.

I can't make Monday unfortunately - got to be slaving over a hot keyboard - but if Saturday or Sunday is do-able for you, I can come to North Wales if timings can be lined up. Happy to cover your fuel costs from Dorset to Devon.

Edited by lozkerr
  • Like 1

@lozkerr Thanks - I'll bear that in mind but I'm afraid for now I'm going to hang out for a collection. I've seen first hand what couriers did with these last time they were sent and without a hard case or some very thick cardboard it would make me nervous. I don't have an easy source to any thick packaging materials either I'm afraid. 

5 minutes ago, MrTea said:

@lozkerr Thanks - I'll bear that in mind but I'm afraid for now I'm going to hang out for a collection. I've seen first hand what couriers did with these last time they were sent and without a hard case or some very thick cardboard it would make me nervous. I don't have an easy source to any thick packaging materials either I'm afraid. 

No probs. If you don't get any joy with collection, get back to me. I'll be glad to send you a hard case for packaging, as I'd be getting one anyway.