Why become a member? ×

New For Harley Benton Fans

stewblack

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The 4 string is on my watchist but it's a bit too expensive for me right now. 

Think I had one of the first BZ-4000 in the UK. They went on sale 25/08/15 but mine arrived a day or so before that.

12lb if its a day, cracking looking bass.

Reasonably chunky neck,active/passive. A lit of bass for little money.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

I'm well aware of Thomann.

It was suggested on a YouTube review of the MB-4

Close to 6 years moderating the bass side of the Harley Benton forum and the same dishing out numbers on the TalkBass owners thread, never had anybody make a similar claim.

Video Boy is reading far too much into things, must think EBMM have exclusive rights to a pickup position.

He's also comparing his bass to a 5 year old photo, in that time Thomann have switched factories at least twice. Each factory changes has seen a difference in parts to reflect what they have in the stores or what deal their suppliers offer. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Close to 6 years moderating the bass side of the Harley Benton forum and the same dishing out numbers on the TalkBass owners thread, never had anybody make a similar claim.

Video Boy is reading far too much into things, must think EBMM have exclusive rights to a pickup position.

He's also comparing his bass to a 5 year old photo, in that time Thomann have switched factories at least twice. Each factory changes has seen a difference in parts to reflect what they have in the stores or what deal their suppliers offer. 

That photo is still on the website https://harleybenton.com/product/mb-4-sb/

On 02/12/2020 at 09:49, stewblack said:

It's more comfortable than a Ric, to me at least, does it sound like one? It can. 

Strangely, a Ric - with binding, not without - is still the most comfortable bass for me these days, due to nerve problems in my arm and how I rest it on the bass. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I don't know about semi hollow, but it's given me a semi.

I was travelling across nevada, and on one of the desert roads was 'the biggest sex shop in <wherever I was>'. I thought it was quite amusing at the time as there were large billboards both sides of the road, one side had about god and repenting, the other had about this sex shop. When we got there it had a really big carpark (it was a barn in the desert) and had a big sign by the car park entrance which said 'No Semi's Allowed'. Almost crashed I did.

• Haha 4

Only just picked up on this thread(and recently Harley Benton) and really liking some of the positive comments.

Ive had all sorts of basses over the years from  a Vintage(the make) Bass Collection copy to an almost new Fender Jazz Elite and loads in between but always had a fascination for low/budget guitars/basses.

One of my first was a 1984 Westone Thunder passive bass which was just over £100

Nowadays a cheap bass is less than that!!

How can they do it for the price?

Anyway Ive always fancied a 5 stringer and a MM so I have ordered a HB MB5 brand new & delivered for £115!!

I'll let you know how it goes......

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Slapbass Shaun said:

Only just picked up on this thread(and recently Harley Benton) and really liking some of the positive comments.

Ive had all sorts of basses over the years from  a Vintage(the make) Bass Collection copy to an almost new Fender Jazz Elite and loads in between but always had a fascination for low/budget guitars/basses.

One of my first was a 1984 Westone Thunder passive bass which was just over £100

Nowadays a cheap bass is less than that!!

How can they do it for the price?

Anyway Ive always fancied a 5 stringer and a MM so I have ordered a HB MB5 brand new & delivered for £115!!

I'll let you know how it goes......

Nice one

Edited by jassbass
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, tom1946 said:

Harley Benton sounds like the 'James Nelligan' guitar that Stagg produce.

The rep called in my shop on his monthly visit and I asked who JN was and he told me he was an accountant in their German office....

The story Lasse Thernoe tells is they were all a bit whizzed when the time came to name the brand, nobody present admits to the suggestion.

17 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

Is it one of the black ones or sunburst?

Sunburst. Maybe they're heavier. I've seen the bass quoted as being around 8lbs which is a good kg lighter. I expect there to be some variance in weight between basses, but surely not this much.

Edited by TheLowDown