Why become a member? ×

New For Harley Benton Fans

stewblack

My finger is hovering over the Buy button for a PJ-74 VW. I've spent the best part of 15 years "refurbishing" (read leaving in a box in the spare room) my original Cort PJ bass, so I've decided it would be easier just to buy a new PJ and get playing. Not the cheapest in their range, but boy does it look nice to me. Also sounds pretty tasty and I have SD 1/4lber P pickup and Fender J pickup I can put in if I fancy.

image.thumb.png.27c6933572de84cbefc767de2479a134.png

• Like 3

So, my old man said follow the van and don't dilly dally on the way. 

Off went the cart with the home packed in it I walked behind  with me old pink torpedo linnet 

And I dillied, I dallied and I dallied and I dillied

I lost the van and don't know where to roam

The PJ-74 VW was showing as available in 14-18 weeks so I dillied and dallied... and I lost the bass! It's now not showing on the site at all. :(

My only alternative for a PJ from HB is the PJ-4 HTR, but does my desire for a PJ override the fact it's red.

4 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Stew does the MM copy with the 2 humbuckers have the same tone at the bridge is the all black single pickup version?

They're very different beasts, the twin can get pretty close but uses a very different tone set up. 

Tell you what, I'll do a little side by side tomorrow and record it for you. 

19 hours ago, Basscabman said:

Cheers mate, much appreciated, I'm torn between the two. Merry Xmas to you and yours.

OK, same riff, first time with the stealth MM, second time bridge pick up on the Deluxe twin humbucker jobbie.

The twin pup is three band active with a 5 position switch so ultra tweakable. It's also a bit louder but I left the levels alone so you could hear the diffrerence. No effects, no compression, straight onto the PC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jassbass said:

Think i preferred the twin pickup sound but i like the stealth look better

The twin has a richer sound, compared with some active basses it's a fairly subtle, natural sound. But the Stealth  version is very easy to play, and very easy on the eye. With a little help from an eq pedal (or indeed from the tone controls on an amp) the gap between the sounds can be closed. 

However what the Stealth Bass can never get close to is the neck pick up on the other bass. That's a beast! 

All swings and roundabouts though. If you ever get called to thump and pull that pick up is way too close to the neck, the Stealth on the other hand has plenty of space 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The twin has a richer sound, compared with some active basses it's a fairly subtle, natural sound. But the Stealth  version is very easy to play, and very easy on the eye. With a little help from an eq pedal (or indeed from the tone controls on an amp) the gap between the sounds can be closed. 

However what the Stealth Bass can never get close to is the neck pick up on the other bass. That's a beast! 

All swings and roundabouts though. If you ever get called to thump and pull that pick up is way too close to the neck, the Stealth on the other hand has plenty of space 

Thanks for info

Yeah twin pickup no good for slapping 

Id order a Stealth if they were in stock

Edited by jassbass

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The twin has a richer sound, compared with some active basses it's a fairly subtle, natural sound.However what the Stealth Bass can never get close to is the neck pick up on the other bass. That's a beast! 

20201128_123451.thumb.jpg.db55b1803ba09843affa9e7f548ca1d2.jpg

I replaced the neck with a Fender MIM Stu Hamm 32ins and added some longer bridge piece screws  (70mm) to achieve the correct 32ins scale intonation. Even though the tone controls have centre detent the mid point is not really "flat". I prefer to back treble, mid & bass right off and then just add to achieve the tone needed. The range of tones on offer is very broad indeed. My upgrade plans are to install Warman PUPs and CTS pots.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2020 at 14:48, Basscabman said:

Will any Fender neck fit that pocket John?

The heel of my Fender MIM Stu Hamm Urge neck is 62.7mm and fits the neck pocket with some slight clearance.  The MM 84A SB has a 34ins scale and 24 frets, this means that the bridge is fitted closer to the neck to accommodate the 24 frets of the 34ins scale. You need to compare photos of the MM 84A and the MB-4 side by side, you will see that bridge is mounted in different positions. This was one of the reasons why I chose the MM 84A because the bridge was fitted at a position close enough to accommodate my 32ins scale neck( only had to purchase extra long 70mm bridge piece screws). I believe if you tried to fit a standard Fender 34ins scale 20 fret neck to the MM 84A you may have to move the bridge back towards back end of the body to allow for correct 34ins scale intonation. That shouldn't be be too much of a mod as the existing bridge mounting holes would be hidden under the bridge.

Apologies for such a long answer.  ( I normally try to avoid taking up too much space on threads with endless drivel)😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by JohnDaBass
Error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...